The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What's Your Biggest Wish?

As far as horses, or horse related items, what is your biggest "I WANT"???? Mine is an inddor riding arena, with great lighting, heat and A/C if possible. Other things on my wish list would be to have enough money to redo most of our 150 year old barn. I love the barn, but wish I could restore it to it's original condition, and update with better electrical, water heater, cleaned out (empty) lofts, etc. Just wondering what everyone else's "wish lists" include.

My biggest wish is to become successful in the big hunter derby classes on my KWPN gelding that I just purchased and to breed my Dutch x Oldenburg mare and produce a very nice hunter foal that could later go on and be a successful regular working hunter or a derby horse I'm a hunter fanatic if you haven't noticed
    "Success is the best revenge"

Indoor, don't really care about heat/AC. Am currently looking at options to erect one, tired of these damn winters we are having all of a sudden! After that, of course new truck/trailer and would like to erect a second barn (will happen eventually I hope!)

Since my dream for my own farm came true just before the new year ... my new wish is for a fantastic indoor arena on my new farm.

Better electrical: at each stall, and some more lighting here and there.

But, by far the biggest wish would be an insulated and heated tack/feed room with ample storage/counter space, running hot water, and a utility sink.
    People are crazy and times are strange.
    I used to care but, things have changed.

A farm someplace warm. If that wouldn't work out for me, I'd like the farm I grew up on back, and I'd like to make the rednecks currently living there clean out their roughly 10 years of junk and old cars and mow (bushhog and chain saw required...) the damn lawn while I sit in a hammock on the front yard pointing and laughing >.>

Realistically? I'd like a saddle that isn't older than my mother.

Default Horse Health & Happiness Forever ~

Well have an indoor ~ so I guess my Biggest Wish ~

Horse Health & Happiness Forever ~ (no serious vet or farrier needs)
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Our own farmette... 10 - 20 acres, modest barn, auto-waterers.

Maybe this year.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Looks like we have some of the same wishes! I'd love higher amperage electrical at my barn, with a water heater, outlets for each stall, etc.
    shawneeAcres: If you do not mind my being extremely rude and nosy, approximately how much would an indoor arena cost? MINUS heat and air.....the way you are gonna do it. I'd like to know if I will ever be able to afford it IN MY LIFETIME.....it's always fun to have something to work towards and dream about!

GabellaFarms: Hunter and Dressage are just the classiest, IMHO! I LOVE watching both. Congratulations on your successes!!! (pics are always welcome too! LOL!)

It really depends on the size and type of structure. Looking at a 65 x 140 Clearspan which costs about $77K erected, but does not include any site prep or electrical. But the prices really depend on what you want. I have found that to go 10' wider makes the cost go up ROUGHLY 1/3 - 1/2!!

As far as the otehr things mentioned, when we built our barn three eyars ago I made sure to have an outlet (high on outside of stalls out of reach of horses) for each stall. We do not have hot water at this time. Am considering purchasing a propane powered portable water heater. AMperage is pelnty ample at my barn to power a hot water heater, but hate paying the additional elec costs!

As far as pics, here is my place:
    http://good-times.webshots.com/album/569459911nWMeoO
    http://pets.webshots.com/album/579360442TMZokm
    http://pets.webshots.com/album/579332511nSskIp
    http://good-times.webshots.com/album/569713540AjIcYe

and you can visit website www.shawneeacres.net

Oh, what a lovely farm! You are very lucky. I was thinking about a clearspan building, but it wounds way out of my price range, especially now. I wonder too, how they would survive the sometimes unbelievable winds we get here. Anybody in a windy area have a clearspan building?

They build them based on your snowload and max winds. There is one down near New Bern, where they have even higher winds than we do and to my knowledge have no problems with it. I think they built that one about 5 years ago if I am not mistaken. If you can go with less width, then the price drops pretty much, I have asked for a 55' quote to see the difference. But should run about $20K less I think

Thank you! I know this is probably a dumb question, but how do you post pictures on here? Haha.
    "Success is the best revenge"

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

I would gladly trade my indoor - AKA World's Largest Covered Walkway to the Manure Pile - for a subcompact tractor with FEL.

Oh, the things I could move.......
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
    Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Default mine

Horse related. My truck to get fixed (after a year of trying) so I can haul my trailer.

And, my horse that wants to jump (I do trails and dressage) and shows great aptitude with it to find a home that will make her wishes come true. I bred her and love her but we just don't love the same discipline.

Now, if I won the lottery I would keep her and lend her to a friend AND, I would build a BARN! (Wouldn't mind a roof over my ring. Doesn't need to be a true indoor)
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

A barn, a tractor, and a slide in truck camper. Not necessarily in that order.

I won't bother the wish-granting deities with details . . . just let me buy the winning Powerball ticket and I'll take care of ALL the details.

Probably tough for them to grant as I never actually buy Powerball tickets. Maybe they should just drop one in my path as I walk down the sidewalk or something. If it's not too much trouble. Or send the numbers in a vision. I can do the legwork, really.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Holly Jeanne View Post
    Horse related. My truck to get fixed (after a year of trying) so I can haul my trailer.
    Boy do I know that feeling. I finally just got rid of the damned thing.