The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

dear naters,

please please please do "the idea".

yours,
    eventerdiva

Quote Originally Posted by naters View Post
    Wow! What a year 2010 has been. Everyone is healthy and happy, except of course for Christine, who just cannot seem to kick that drug habit.
    Hilarious!

I don't mind the photo cards if they're either interesting, or have children in them. Years ago we had a farrier in his 70's, and he and his wife would dress up as an old fashioned Mr. & Mrs. Claus, and take the grandkids for sleigh rides, and those pictures would make great cards.

This year, my MIL and her husband sent out photo cards of themselves on vacation, in what appeared to be a pretty generic hotel room. That was pretty tacky, I think.

FIL and his wife send out the form letters, and we're always mentioned only briefly as the people who gave them their first grandchild. Barf. Not to metion my son is 7 now, but apparently we have done nothing else noteworthy in over half a decade.

FIL also gave us a framed picture of himself as a gift once, so you can imagine what sort of person he is
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

I hate those form Christmas letters too - except for the one that our family used to get each and every year, from ''The Swansons". Trouble is, we didn't know The Swansons. But we'd get a card, and letter every year for 15 years, when alas, they stopped coming.

It became a letter to look forward to - and we'd read it aloud while gathered 'round the tree. We felt like we actually DID know The Swansons after a few years...and recognized names and family pets, etc. Laughed like crazy over some of 'the news' and even felt bad about Aunt Julia's latest operation. Wondered if The Swansons ever wondered why they never heard from us, then completely forgot about them until another year rolled around.

A sad, bizarre Christmas memory....

I too generally dislike Xmas newsletters, they usually come off braggy but some are nicely done. I really HATE the fact that my MIL sends out a Xmas newsletter & feels the need to include everyone in it, me included. She really has no idea what is going on in my life so each year I usually get one sentence that makes me sound like a loser, such as "Lisa continues to work, etc.". I would rather MIL leave me out of the newsletter all together. To make matters worse she doesn't even send us a newsletter anymore, the past few years I've had to ask to see it so I know what all she was telling everybody. I find her newsletters very tacky, braggy & too long, some have even gone onto the other side of the page! I'm embarrased to even have my name included in these god awful letters & have begged hubby to please ask her kindly to not include me in them anymore. But he doesn't want to step on mommy dearest toes, ugh!!!

mysaygrace:

You should totally make your own letter then, feel free to use mine (a few posts back) as an example....

You can add things like "Mother in law continues to battle menopause, and has finally mastered the crack pipe".
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

LOL!
    My MIL sends out those "brag" letters every year too. I got used to it over the years, but I don't do them myself. I select a few pictures of my family / critters / lanscape in our area, put them together as a montage in a card and print it out. Then on the back I write a personal note to each recipient.

However, I don't do it every year. I don't want to feel "forced" to do it. So if I have time, energy, creativity etc, fine. Otherwise, I do nothing. And I don't feel guilty in the least. Hehe.

I have noticed people send a lot more photo cards with no personal handwriting at all.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

thanks Naters I might take you up on that offer, this could really become interesting!!

I don't send out any cards so I don't get to judge.

But agree, the letters I get from the older generation and the custom photos from the younger.

I am ok with either, though honestly the idea of sending my own pic or brag letter out is not appealing. Sometimes the omissions and "sanitizing" of the letters is hilarious, sometimes the pics are cute.

My husband and I reallllllllllllly hate getting The Newsletter from everybody we know. Seriously, I don't care that you are a stay at home mommy and have 4 babies and a 5th on the way and that your oldest baby is now on the honor roll and your youngest baby can now poop on the toilet and the baby in your belly keeps you up all night. I really REALLY don't care. If you don't know us well enough to talk to us throughout the year and keep us updated on your life's happenings, then I really don't care to hear about all your babies at Xmas time. Maybe I'm just at that age where all our friends are having babies and it's getting overwhelming? That's probably it. Every female we know has had at least 3 or 4 kids now and we can't even keep the names of all of them straight.

Just once I might like to hear about YOUR goals, dreams, ambitions, accomplishments.........

It's kind of funny, we know this one woman who has had a new baby every year about this time for the last 3 years. I was really surprised that we didn't get another "Guess what?! I'm 8 months pregnant!" letter.

I do a folded photo card, photo on the front, update/news inside. I like getting pictures though especially from folks who have kids or animals that change every year.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

naters, when you do send that letter please add me to the list.
    I promise to respond in kind

I only send cards to those I know I won't be seeing over the holidays.
    And sometimes even those few don't get sent.

Braggy letters would get tossed here @ 2 Dogs, but I really do enjoy seeing the kids get bigger every year....in a Maidenly Old Widowed Aunty sort if way...
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Someone for years sent Christmas cards with her politics on her sleeve, innocuous the years Clinton was president.
    Then the Bush years after that, she kept getting more and more strident and insulting and finally one year I just told her I didn't think Christmas letters were the place to say what she was saying, it was bad.
    For two years, she didn't send anything and I felt bad to have said anything about it, it really didn't matter to me and seemed VERY IMPORTANT to her.
    The last two years, she is back, got one this year too, without the wild stuff now.

I don't think we have much to say if someone likes to send letters, just don't read it if you don't like it.

I will shamelessly admit to loving reading the letters of people I don't know I read all my parents' letters even though some of the people I've never met. We also do a letter and it can be a bit braggy but we're just a talented family Like this year my Dad got promoted and I got a decently prestigious award from my sorority for my grades. We also talked about our upcoming Switzerland trip. I like it. If you don't like it don't read them I don't mind the photo cards though I do prefer the letters! I *hate* cards with just a signature though. I mean come on! At least give me a picture!

I must say I truly enjoy the COTH exchange! I love getting all the cards and letters and pictures!
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill
    For Hope, For Strength, For Life-Delta Gamma
    www.etsy.com/shop/joiedevivrecrafts Custom Wreaths and Other Decorations

Gosh, now I feel bad for sending out my little letter at Christmas. There was nothing braggy in it. Quite a few of our family is elderly, don't get out much, don't do computers and would rather get letters that don't take decipering of someone's handwriting. Two are hard of hearing and prefer letters to conversations. I do nice sharp photos of our farm, horses and small animals and fill everyone in on the fact that my DH is doing well (he nearly died a few years back and still suffers health problems). I guess I should stop doing them since nobody seems to like them.
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

The Christmas letters are sources of amusement in my house...the more braggy the better the laughs!

Quote Originally Posted by bludejavu View Post
    Gosh, now I feel bad for sending out my little letter at Christmas. There was nothing braggy in it. Quite a few of our family is elderly, don't get out much, don't do computers and would rather get letters that don't take decipering of someone's handwriting. Two are hard of hearing and prefer letters to conversations. I do nice sharp photos of our farm, horses and small animals and fill everyone in on the fact that my DH is doing well (he nearly died a few years back and still suffers health problems). I guess I should stop doing them since nobody seems to like them.
    I don't think posters are commenting on letters like yours, but those that some started sending as a fad and to everyone and full of non-Christmassy stuff.

You probably got some yourself you wondered why anyone would send that to you or say all that in a Christmas card.
    Those are the ones some find objectionable.

Of course you should keep doing them! When my mother was still alive, she (as well as her friends) loved receiving as much information as possible that anyone would send to her in a
    Christmas card.

I think most people either get a eye-rolley type giggle over the really braggy letters or just toss 'em. I don't understand being so deeply offended and angry about receiving them, though. Geez, get over yourself.

We just do a card and a photo....that is if the kids were cooperative about, gasp, taking their picture at the beach every year. It's amazing what a horrible, awful person I am for asking them to pose for one picture!
    Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    We have no intentions of tarring and feathering anyone: this is now a thread about dipping Ryan Reynolds in chocolate.

Guess I am old fashioned as I believe handwritten notes and letters in cards are the best. I enjoy writing them and receiving them. For me, it should be personal and not mass communication. I enclose pictures in some and not in others depending on the recipient. I did receive some "picture cards" this year and enjoyed them also.

Wrong. If some shrew somewhere is that bothered by a Christmas letter, that's her problem.

Braggy letters are eek. But you are talking about using a good tool to communicate with folks who do better with the written word, and may enjoy your pics. When my Grandma was in the nursing home, it tugged at my heart to see she'd tacked a pic of me and my horse that I'd emailed my Dad....to her wall. You keep on doing what you are doing.

Thank you! I feel better now - I was having doubts about my judgement. I will continue my little letters as long as I have elderly relatives.
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.