The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Curious question about Christmas card trends...

For a while, there was the annual news letter that came from aunts and uncles and distant family members and old friends which detailed the year they had and major life events. It was written on a word processor and printed and stuffed in envelops and had an actual signature at the bottom.

That trend seems to be over and a new trend has become popular.

The new trend is plain white envelop with a printed address label and a printed return address label. Inside the envelop is a one sided photo card with 3 pictures of the happy family, or couple, or their pets, and a holiday greeting printed across it.

No where is there a personal note or even a signature.

Why bother sending anything at all?

The old new letter format was weird in its own way but it was slightly more interesting than that photo card without even a personal thought on it.

I still do the newsletter thing, complete with pictures. We get one of the photo card types you're talking about every year from a family member and they arrive exactly as you say - no signature and nothing personal. The photos are interesting if you look back thru the years and see how the kids have grown, but other than that, I could live without them.

Christmas cards are just too rediculously expensive, not to mention the postage to send a blah card. I used to custom order cards with horses on them but no one in our family is horse-oriented but us and I eventually saw that expense as a waste too. I do think Christmas cards are a dying trend.
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

I like the holiday photo card, that's been the tradition in my family for as long as I can remember. I also save my cards every year The letter is also fun and we know some people that do those but I know some people that worry they sound like bragging.

Personally I like to do a pretty envelope and pick a picture or pictures that have something to say about the last year.

Yes, I have noticed this too!

We send out a photo card every year (put a lot of prep and thought into it, and it always includes our horse; I sit on her, hubby and daughter stand next to us, a bit of tasteful Christmas tree strand draped on horse's neck, etc. All us of smile, hubby grimaces, photographer's helper gets horsey to prick ears...It's been a tradition of ours for 16 years now, and people seem to love it

*I* write a detailed personal note (different for every recipient) on the back of EACH card, and sign our names. It takes me forever to do this, but I feel that it means a lot to people. (Have never sent out a "form letter", which of course would be a lot easier...)

The hubby?? He sends the photo cards out (to his friends and relatives) with nothing written on them, not even a signature. Snort. I tell him that this is rather lazy, and that people appreciate a little more time taken, but feh, he will do what he wants to do...OTOH, I always feel a bit dissapointed when I receive cards from people who have clearly taken NO time other than to write down my address; all that they've done is (essentially) "stuff envelopes" at Christmas. Yes, I suppose they are busy, and send out a lot of cards (I send about 40 myself), but still. NOTHING personal written on the card?!? And I used to think people who just signed their names were lazy...

*sigh* Of course I am "old school." But yeah, yet more proof that the world is going to Hell in a handbasket!
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

This year was the first I did a pre-printed card, with my Christmas greeting and name already printed out (no kids or husband so just me). I did it because it was faster than the alternative or writing that same info out in all the cards .

But I wrote a personal note/letter for all of them - I just automated the repetitive part. I send out about 40 cards, maybe saved me some time. I love getting them so I feel I need to send them, too .
    ~* Life is the dance you choose *~

Quote Originally Posted by reefy! View Post
    This year was the first I did a pre-printed card, with my Christmas greeting and name already printed out (no kids or husband so just me). I did it because it was faster than the alternative or writing that same info out in all the cards .

But I wrote a personal note/letter for all of them - I just automated the repetitive part. I send out about 40 cards, maybe saved me some time. I love getting them so I feel I need to send them, too .

Alas, reefy and I are a dying breed, I'm afraid!
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

I used to carefully choose boxes of cards for my recipients. Religious ones for some, funny ones for others. I would always write a note and sign the card. Then, one year I just didn't get around to it. Bliss. So for the last few years I haven't done cards at all. I am a grinchy bitch I guess but I don't miss the stress. I will admit to feeling a bit guilty though. Next year I swear....

MIL sends out the newsletter. I don't like having our business sent out to all and sundry.

We got more of the preprinted photo cards than in years past too.

Definitely seeing a trend towards photo-printed, one-stop-shopping type cards or no cards at all. I received less this year than ever before. I was laid up with tooth-problems right at Christmas and sent mine out late and was apologizing to everyone - most people said "Don't worry about it! I'm not doing cards anymore!"

I am old-fashioned, I still choose carefully some unique, pertains-to-our-family sort of Christmas card, hand write a short personal message, and hand write my envelopes. And, my daughter and I do a horsie Christmas photo I stick in the cards to anyone who will be interersted.

Default I'd rather....

I would rather receive a photo card with nothing personal on it than a plain christmas card where someone has just signed their name! That's it! No note! Nothing! Talk about unpersonal!

My MIL also sends out a newsletter which does sound a bit braggy...son #1 in Residency... DIL #1 (that would be ME!) got a new job that pays better.... Son #2 in Residency....DIL #2 following her dream of becoming a pastry chef... Son #3 in Dental School...fiance in 4th year med school.... Gaggy. Luckily she sent us a draft first, and I was able to let her know that I wasn't exactly thrilled with the prospect of people I didn't know knowing that I am making more money than I used to....

As an aside, I truly do have the best in-laws ever. Didn't mean to bash her...

I have to admit I don't like the photo cards!!!!! Unless they came from a close friend or family member, I don't care and don't really want picks of you in Hawaii!

If they come from close friends or family members I do save them.

I also don't like the letters. If you are not close enough to me to know what's going on in my life, why should I write you a once a yr brag letter?

I pick out cards that are semi neutral but say something about me, generally horsey or critters, snow etc. I add a personal note, but it does tend to be a bit automated, just a sentence or so and my name and critters mentioned.

LBR
    I reject your reality, and substitute my own- Adam Savage

R.I.P Ron Smith, you'll be greatly missed

Quote Originally Posted by ladybugred View Post
    I have to admit I don't like the photo cards!!!!! Unless they came from a close friend or family member, I don't care and don't really want picks of you in Hawaii!
    LBR
    This. I really hate the ones that look like the photo comes from a cheap phone camera and is a candid. You can't even be bothered to take a portrait?

Quote Originally Posted by lcw579 View Post
    I used to carefully choose boxes of cards for my recipients. Religious ones for some, funny ones for others. I would always write a note and sign the card. Then, one year I just didn't get around to it. Bliss. So for the last few years I haven't done cards at all. I am a grinchy bitch I guess but I don't miss the stress. I will admit to feeling a bit guilty though. Next year I swear....

MIL sends out the newsletter. I don't like having our business sent out to all and sundry.

We got more of the preprinted photo cards than in years past too.
    This year finally I just didn't send any and it sure was nice.
    Don't like it when we do something just because we have to.

I have noticed that more people are also just giving up the mass mailing card sending.

I like the photo cards and the newsletters. I also liked our COTH card exchange and did it for the first time this year. Got a lot of cool photos of people and their horses from all over the place!

I like the photo cards, it's better than a plain card which all that tells me is your taste in card stock, waste of paper. Besides I like to see pics of everyone's kids as they grow. I don't send cards to people who are so remote that I worry they don't want to see my kid.

My mom sends the classic Christmas letter and is the queen of oversharing. I now ask to preapprove them. Am I a control freak? Yes. Because of the year that she sent out a Christmas letter to God only knows how many barely-acquaintances (she oversends cards too) informing them of my miscarriage the previous year. Ugh, got a bunch of painful "so sorry, your mom told me in the Christmas letter" emails. Mortifying! I can laugh about it now but still don't want a repeat incident.
    Last edited by fordtraktor; Jan. 14, 2011 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    For a while, there was the annual news letter that came from aunts and uncles and distant family members and old friends which detailed the year they had and major life events. It was written on a word processor and printed and stuffed in envelops and had an actual signature at the bottom.
    HaHa! I thought of sending out a bulletin-like thing about my horse's year. It would be full of that spin-control and bragging about events that are minor or tarted up:

"Freakshow had a wonderful year-- full of accomplishments and blessings all will want to know about....

He got an organically-grown patch of grass for his birthday on March 22 when snow was everywhere. We have enclosed a DVD of that happy day....

BestGeldingEver makes friends where ever he goes and we are all so lucky to have him expand our family circle. His parole officer joined us for Thanksgiving Dinner and a good time was had by all....."

You get the idea.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I like the photo cards. A couple of my friends get really creative with them. One family photoshopped a National Enquirer-type magazine cover with all the family members' pictures and appropriate headlines. Another couple, who do a lot of international birding trips, always send a photo of themselves from some exotic locale with an amusing greeting (Happy Solistice... may the sun rise again). And I always enjoy seeing people's photos of themselves and their pets.

Flipped her halo did an excellent photo card this year. I was filled with much envy! I want to do one like hers next year. She did include a brief hand written note and I thoroughly enjoyed getting the card!

We do the photocards and pick and choose who gets them...as they are pricey LOL. My DH's business contacts really like them...we're on our 6th year of doing them and he had a few ask back around November if we were doing them again...why? Because the pics are unusual or interesting to them- we always pick from our back country trips in MT or elsewhere. I find the most spectacular pics I can find, or pic, depends. I've seen our cards on their water-cooler boards in many an office- so maybe not everyone hates photo cards.

An acquaintance of ours adopted a little girl from China last Spring. I was touched to get a very cute card from them, of just Abby on a swing, head thrown back, cackling with glee. I didn't need a card. That picture told me how happy they were, all of 'em.

A relative of ours sends a very funny 'letter'...including lines like "Dad still roots for Alabama in every game, and yes he still sits on a stack of phone books to see over the steering wheel.' We're a be funny or begone sorta group

Quote Originally Posted by eventerdiva View Post
    My MIL also sends out a newsletter which does sound a bit braggy...son #1 in Residency... DIL #1 (that would be ME!) got a new job that pays better.... Son #2 in Residency....DIL #2 following her dream of becoming a pastry chef... Son #3 in Dental School...fiance in 4th year med school.... Gaggy.

So on this note, I would like to share something I have never shared outside my family before ...

Maybe we are all curmudgeons, but we always found the Christmas letters annoying, and braggy. It wasn't because members of our own family didn't do great things typically throughout the year, but we just never felt the need to make sure everyone else knew about them, LOL.

That being said, one year we developed "the idea". Now, we have never actually DONE "the idea", but we do think about it every year, and we try to improve on what we would say in "the idea".

"The idea" = Our very own Christmas letter, but it would sound something like this (names changed to protect the innocent):

Dear Friends and Family,

Wow! What a year 2010 has been. Everyone is healthy and happy, except of course for Christine, who just cannot seem to kick that drug habit.

Myself and the husband (Darryl, well, husband #4) are doing well since the marraige counselor dropped his lawsuit against us.

Darryl continues to drink, and even won a tequila shot contest at the local biker bar next door.

I've never been happier, social services FINALLY took away the three younger brats, so I only have two kids bugging me now. Being pregnant again does sure suck, so once I 'take care of' this one, I will be home free for 2011!

Susie would have gone off to college this year, but she found dancing as her true calling. We finally found a doctor who would just allow us to keep a good stockpile of penicillin at home for whenever she has an outbreak. We are SO proud of how social she is!

Doug finally passed 5th grade this year, it was hard with all of the suspensions keeping him out of school. We think they are just trying to stifle his creativity, though, as he has a very imaginative mind. I mean, who can blame him for pretending the dog poop is school lunch and trying to get the teacher to eat it? What an imaginative boy we have!

Well, hope your year was as good as ours! Happy Holidays!!!
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

I never did care for the brag letters. Some of you may have different experiences, but the ones my family received were always just that - brag and boast.

I do remember that one family quit sending theirs the year that one son was arrested for grand theft auto and the other one ran off to Europe with his boyfriend.