The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Financial planning: Good books, resources

Hoping to get my financial act together. So I am open to any suggestions/advice that anyone has- books, websites, magazines etc. Unfortunately I am starting this later in life-40s (so you young whippersnappers may want to pay attention to this thread!).

Thanks in advance!

what type of advice? retirement planning, investment goals? Best bet is set up an appointment with a financial planner, you can usually sit down with one for no fee and go over goals and they will help you shape debt consolidation/repayment, savings, investment options. Usually its to market what is available in their place of business, but you don't necessarily have to use them.

I fyou are just looking to keep track of what you are spending, what money is coming in etc. I recommend mint.com - all of your accounts in one place and you can set up e-mail alerts if you go over budget etc.

Best first step: Go through the Financial Peace University course by Dave Ramsey

The courses are offered regularly across the U.S. Sign up and go.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Consider disregarding the conventional financial wisdom out there. (biggest mortgage, equity loans, how to manage debt,etc). You can't spend your way out of debt.

Dave Ramsey is excellent - because he defies the conventional wisdom of spend spend spend and manage your debt - to eliminating debt altogether (or to the extent possible or practicable)

eta - ooh - ChocoMare!!! You're a Dave Ramsey fan too? Cool!

It's a foreign concept to a lot of Americans.

One of my favorite financial books is just a bare bones, common sense collection of stories telling the reader how the seemingly poorest person in town - is actually the wealthiest.

It's called, The Wealthy Barber.http://www.amazon.com/Wealthy-Barber.../dp/0761513116

It's not a long book, and it's an easy read. It gets a person thinking.

Best of luck to you!!!!!
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Default FPU

We just started this because we were given it as a gift. Really optimistic about it. Seems like a great opportunity and great course!
    Equus Doth Indeed Makeus Brokeus. Or Brokeus Meus -- when you have a baby warmblood, it could be either one!

When you graduate, you'll have to change your signature line!
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Another nod to Dave Ramsey. My ex and I got this book as a wedding present, and we got rid of my paltry debt (less than $2k, including a student loan), and his sizeable debt (oooo, more than $30k IIRC), and had three paid off vehicles and a paid off motorcycle and just a mortgage in the three years it took me to decide I didn't like him .

I am now older and wiser or something like that, so I don't get involved in my fiance's money all that much. We have basically said "ok, we're paying off our individual debt so that we will be close to debt free when we get married." I know I can accomplish this goal, especially by applying Dave Ramsey's "snowball" philosophy. I would have a mortgage and a truck payment left. After we get married we're buying a big LQ trailer, so debt load will go back up, but it'll be manageable.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

I am so happy to hear all the Dave Ramsey success stories...and YES, I suppose I will have to change my siggy line It will be so nice to clear out the debt so I dont have to feel guilty every time I want to horse show! DH and I both brought in some significant debt, so we're looking forward to the debt snowball parts of the lessons. I've been doing okay with the investing and saving portions I think, but it will be nice to apply the rest of the teachings. I'm so glad we were given the class as a gift...I'm optimistic about money for the first time in a looooooong time!
    Equus Doth Indeed Makeus Brokeus. Or Brokeus Meus -- when you have a baby warmblood, it could be either one!

Another vote for Dave Ramsey.

If you don't want to attend classes, you can do FPU online.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

Another vote for Dave Ramsey

I started my snowball July 2008. Two others in my office started at the same time. We compare notes every quarter just to keep each other on track.

From 7/2008 to 12/2010 we've paid-off 124k.

La is debt free, has her 6 month emergency fund and is now focusing on paying off the house.

Li has 5 more years to go on the snowball (paying off her law school loans)

I was 6 months from being debt free when "murphy" moved in (truck died for good), I've taken a 2 year set-back on my snowball, but keep slogging along...

Thanks so much everyone. This gives me some good ideas. And thanks in advance for ideas yet to come. I would like to speak to a financial planner but of course want to pick someone who is knowledgeable and has my best interests in mind. I am making some progress but want to make even more.

Dave Ramsey, Dave Ramsey, Dave Ramsey!!!!!!! I've had family do it, I've done it, and it is a totally proven system.

I just got to the point where I can start putting away for retirement.....it's kind of addictive to watch my IRA and Money Market accounts gain money from me doing absolutely nothing!
    To be loved by a horse should fill us with awe, for we hath not deserved it.

We use Quicken, but we really USE it. That is, all accounts are set up. Checking, savings, credit cards, real estate, loans, etc... it's a full blown financial statement so we can see our net worth and we track all spending by category. Starting that years ago, and keeping at it took some discipline. It's hard at first, but it gets easier as you go because you will see some benefits.

Setting up monthly payroll deductions into savings and 401K accounts took some discipline too. Set up your deductions and then live off whatever is leftover. Change your lifestyle if necessary. Again, hard to do at first, but you'll be happy with the result.

Dave Ramsey's approach is very good. Just discipline and common sense.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?