The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Opinions on George Williams as a clinician

He is coming to my area for a USDF Jr/YR FEI clinic and I am wondering if auditing the clinic would be worth a Saturday and $30? You can PM me if you prefer. Thankx.

Absolutely worth it. Consider yourself lucky!
    Life is not a dress rehearsal.

Brilliant. Would ride or audit him again in a heartbeat. Audited just one day of a YR clinic a couple years ago and still remember things he said. Would really like to ride with him.

Default Take advantage of it.

My daughter has ridden with him several times. Very easy person to work with. Explains things clearly. Will try several different approaches to an issue or problem to find one that works well for both horse and rider. Consider the $30 price tag a very inexpensive ticket to a very good learning experience.

Definitely go audit!
    Welcome to my dressage world http://www.juliefranzen.blogspot.com/

I would say it is for sure worth the money to go audit and be sure to bring a notebook with you so that you can keep track of what is said so you can return to it later. Things can go quickly and he is very good at giving multiple options for movements and issues. Very helpful.
    http://dressageesquire.blogspot.com
    "The ability to write a check for attire should not be confused with expertise. Proficiency doesn't arrive shrink-wrapped from UPS and placed on your doorstep."

DITTO!

His clinics are great. One thing I still remember is him being so crystal clear on is straightening the horse after each of the corners on the short side and bending in the corners. If tracking left, when approaching first corner, think right (rein)-right-right, then during the corner left-left-left then right-right-right-right-right, then left-left-left then right-right-right! So many people let the walls turn their horses, losing all of the gymnastic aspects of the exercise and this is such an easy structured way to effect a change.

Thanks for everyone's glowing reports. I'll definitely go - it's only about an hour from home which is a very short distance to drive for top dressage instruction around here! I just hate to give up a Saturday of playing 'catch up' on the farm (I am gone 11 hours every weekday!) unless it's for a very good cause!

I always take copious notes whenever I audit, and usually post them on my blog. And often refer back to my notes. I audited Stephen Clarke a few years ago and STILL go back and re-read - and learn- from his wisdom.

I went to a Steffen Peters symposium in October and posted notes here: http://donerailfarm.posterous.com/no...ters-symposium

Really looking forward to it.

I just noticed this thread and not sure if you have gone yet or not, however I rode with him for the first time in October and it was one of the best clinics I attended and particpated in.

I would highly recommend it.

He seems to be a good teacher, but the 2 clinics I audited with him - when the trainer was riding one of my horses and one of my friend's, he worked almost exclusively at the other end of the ring, very near the rider, and we couldn't ever hear a word he said. Big disappointment for such a big name and good teacher.
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
    He seems to be a good teacher, but the 2 clinics I audited with him - when the trainer was riding one of my horses and one of my friend's, he worked almost exclusively at the other end of the ring, very near the rider, and we couldn't ever hear a word he said. Big disappointment for such a big name and good teacher.
    The clinician is there for the rider. If the auditors can't hear what the clinician is saying, then I would take that up with the event organizer. Perhaps having an sound system and a mike would help, but in no way is that the responsibility of the clinician.

I agree with EC.
    And if the clinician is working with your horse - as the owner you should just speak up and ask the pair to move down to where you are. Tell them you are the owner and just let them know you want to hear! Usually George is on a Comtek with the rider and we have an additional set that the owner and others will listen in on - that saves him from shouting the whole day......

The clinic was last weekend. It was COLD - for us anyway - and I was freezing despite wearing four layers of clothing. Not so bad out in the sun, but under the covered arena... so I did not take as many notes as I usually do. That, and I only stayed half a day because the clinic was 1.5 hours from me, and I needed to go home and ride my own horses and clean stalls!

They had a sound system and George stayed close to where the auditors were sitting, so no trouble hearing what he was telling the riders.

My notes are posted on my blog:
    http://donerailfarm.posterous.com/ge...illiams-clinic