The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tracking Dutch Warmblood with only a brand

I am sure you get these questions all the time (searched around a lot first without definite answers) I own a hunter gelding who is USEF registered but not under his original name. We are the third owners of him in the US (The dealer who imported him as #1, the owners we bought him from #2). We have contacted his previous owners who never received papers. I know this can be tricky because he is not micro chipped as he was born in 1998. The reason i would love to know is because he has a lot of great characteristics similar to many top stallions and we have a small breeding program. We would consider incorporating his distant relatives into the mix if we could trace them! Please advise me as whether the KWPN-NA can help (we know nothing other than he is 1998 with letter T) so the DNA test with not help? Thanks for all your help!!

Hi!

If the horse is KWPN and born in 1998, then his given name would start with an "R". All horses with "T" names were born in 2000. All KWPN horses are named alphabetically by year. Year 2011 is the "G" year.

As for your horse, what bloodlines were you told that he had?
    Can you get intouch with the dealer to find out more info?
    What are the names that the horse competed under; maybe someone here will recognize the horse?

As for DNA testing, you need to have an idea as to who the parents are, otherwise the testing facility (such as UC Davis) would be shooting in the dark at 1,000's of DNA markers. I'd imagine that would cost you an astronomical amount of money, if they'd even attempt it.

Can you post confo pics of the horse so that maybe someone will recognize?

Good luck with finding out some sound answers!

If you can any information from the dealer when he was imported, they should have his paperwork. He has to have some sort of identification when he was imported.

Definately post a picture.

Kathy
    Majestic Gaits-Dutch Warmbloods,#1 USEF Dressage Sporthorse Breeder. #1 KWPN-NA Jumpers.Standing Navarone,Schroeder,Dante MG.VDL Frozen. Approval KWPN Han OLD RPSI BWP Canadian SWANA sBs SF Holst

Thank you for getting back to me. I just looked through my photos and realized I do not have any that would be easier to tell conformation on (mostly jumping). And since he is a fuzz ball at the moment... He is bright chestnut and looks similar to the oldenburg stallion Jupiter (by Zeus) but they are not related. I am going to try to find the dealer but this would have been probably at least 8 years past. Thanks for your help!