The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I love mine, I wish I used it more often...

It was great for camping, feed and horse supplies in the +1 and tack and sleeping up front. Would aslo be great for showing!

Is great for horses that are uncomfortable with unloading since there are many ways to do it.

Mine is HUGE, so no problem fitting any of my horses.

Full gates between horses and I hang hay bags for feed.

My only complaint is that the outside ties are NOT secure. My horse leaned on one and it popped right off. I have a Kiefer all aluminum.

It is heavy, 5400 lbs and the GVWR is 10,400, which can be a prolem in some states.
    Turn off the computer and go ride!

Default 2+3/4 with no tack room

I have a hawk with 2 straight stalls plus Extra room in the front with the side ramp. It was used and came with a bar that pops in to hold the front pony at an angle. No full door dividers. The gooseneck has a gate that flips down to keep the stuff falling into the horse compartment.

I find it to be the best of both worlds. It's not too long. I pull the horse up front to backup. The tack in right there so I don't get wet. It cool and shady to hang out in front. In a pinch I can bring an extra pony with me

I wouldn't change a thing but would have preferred one in white. And maybe 1 extra foot in the front that would let a small horse in the front my friend puts her huge 17.1h horse up front with just 2 ft more than i have Oh and my hawk is very very heavy so gas mileage is low. I had a custom fab 2h stall that I bought on eBay. It was super to pull but it never worked for me. I had wanted a gn with a dressing room that wasn't too long. It was a mistake. So I lost the dressing room but gained the space I needed.

OP, I won't help you be realistic, but will help you romance the 2+1 as I do that, too.

Great info on this thread!

I'd want the 2+1 for the amazing "staging" option and room for all the crap and feed/bedding I like to bring with me to shows.

Since you foxhunt (I've done that, too), I think the staging factor would be especially useful for you and kind for your horses. Pre-hunt, you have a safe and convenient place to tack up your fit, amped-up field hunter. Post-hunt, when he's tired, you have a box stall in which he can chill in any position(s) he likes. He's safe inside out of the weather and other horses while you are at the hunt breakfast.

All things being equal, I'd choose a gooseneck over a bumper pull for all the well-known reasons.

I wouldn't object to a heavy, long trailer. But then I'm already willing to drive a 1-ton diesel.

The thing that does stop me is the cost of these mobile living rooms. I can't justify it for what I do. If/when a gently used 4-Star comes my way, that might change and I might find myself borrowing money to buy that trailer a ring. But I purposely don't go to the bars where those hot, hot, hot 2+1 aluminum trailers hang out. I just ogle other peoples' right now. It's kind of creepy.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I just picked up my new Kiefer Built 2+1 with a dressing room. I love it! Pulls better then my old bumper pull and I love all of the options for configuration.

Can you tell me which manufacturers have straight wall dressing rooms versus slant walls? I think Hawk & Exiss only have slant walls and 4-star, Adams, & Merhow are straight. Any more information is greatly apreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by titan View Post
    Can you tell me which manufacturers have straight wall dressing rooms versus slant walls? I think Hawk & Exiss only have slant walls and 4-star, Adams, & Merhow are straight. Any more information is greatly apreciated.
    My Kiefer is straight

Kiefer is straight as foggybok said. Mine also came with the door leading from the dressing room to the horse area. Gore is straight as well but the door would have been an extra option.

I ended up choosing the Kiefer because a) I had been very pleased with my 2 horse bumper pull I had. b) I preferred their options c) the price was very competitive and d) I like the warranty

With my Kiefer everything is removable inside if I want one huge box. I can fit a horse (although not a HUGE one) in the front area with the dividing wall in place between the two straight stalls. Or I can remove the straight stalls and push the diving wall back and have two equal size boxes. I am really happy with my trailer so far!

MY Hawk had straight, my New Balance made by Hawk has a straight and 4-Star can also have a straight wall.
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

my daughter has an Adams 2+1.They let her design what she wanted,including lengthening the +1 part so big horses are comfortable. Adams are very well priced as well.

I have one of the first 2+1's that were on the market and after 8 years I still LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!
    If I were buying a new one, I'd probably make a few changes (full doors between the box and the stalls--they weren't an option back then, 2 more feet in the DR, etc)
    It is SO useable and easy to work out of. It still makes me happy

Which brand makes you so happy???? Thanks.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by FairWeather View Post
    I have one of the first 2+1's that were on the market and after 8 years I still LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!

It is SO useable and easy to work out of. It still makes me happy
    Add me to that group of people who have one, love it, and wouldn't even try to talk you out of one.

I've had mine for about 11 yrs now, and I too LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!
    Mine is steel, 2+1 GN with DR Sundowner, rear and side/front ramps.

I think it is the ideal, multi-use configuration, even if you have only one horse.
    It is perfect for teaching young horses to load - I put down both ramps, take out the partition. It is perfect for difficult horses - walk on the back, walk off the front..and it is perfect for someone who often needs to trailer alone.

I had to trailer a lot with my stallion, showing and collecting, - loading/unloading 2xs - and sometime there just wasn't anyone to help me.
    He loads and trailers perfectly, but I still didn't feel it was all that safe loading and unloading on my own.
    With this configuration, I take out the partition, so that it is a box stall,and load him from the side ramp, (back doors up) and just walk in to the box.
    So easy, so stressfree. So SAFE for horse and handler.

If you are in an emergency situation, ie a colic that has to go to the hospital - you might very well be on your own at 3 am...you can be independant, and get things done as fast as they need to be.

They are ideal too for trailering mares and foals, and safer for the handlers to get out of the way at the front.

As others have mentioned, if you are at a show, or hunting - or in any situation where the horse has to stay on the trailer for a while - you can just take down the front ramp, and there is plenty of breeze, and also out of the cold and wind... the horse can relax safely and so can you. I have set up my cooler and my lawn chairs in that area.. out of the sun and the rain.

The front 'box' area is fairly small in my trailer, but for a smaller horse or pony, perfect.

Can you tell I love this configuration? I have a breeding farm, and it has been perfect for me, but even if I had only one horse, this would be my preferred trailer.
    Yes, it is kind of big - someone called it a living room ...but it pulls easily, and once you get used to it, easy to turn and park.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!

Quote Originally Posted by Dance_To_Oblivion View Post
    Kiefer is straight as foggybok said. Mine also came with the door leading from the dressing room to the horse area. Gore is straight as well but the door would have been an extra option.

Yes, this is a nice option!

Which brand makes you so happy???? Thanks.
    An acquaintance has a new Dream Coach.

That thing is NICE.

Look at this one.

http://www.dreamcoachtrailer.com/warmbloodtb.htm

I don't need a new trailer but if I did, and had the money - a 2+1 would be awfully awfully tempting.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Now that I have discovered the 2+1 concept, I am a convert. Add me to the list of people trolling the used trailer ads!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

We have a very large Jamco 2+1. It can also be configured as a 3+1, but the horses would have to be pretty small to make it work. We tried it just for fun and our 17H horses were touching both dividers. Needless to say, it makes a very comfy 2+1. The +1 is great for going to clinics and such as we can put all of our stuff there plus a bunch of hay and shavings.

Love it nose to toes.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Add me to the list of 2+1 fans. Mine is a C&C, with full side and rear ramps plus a dressing room, and I love it... even though I normally only ship one or maybe 2 horses in it at a time. That front section is super as a staging area, or simply to load up all the stuff you want to bring with you for an extended trip -you can easily get the wheelbarrow/trunks/scooter/hay etc for a week or two up there without a problem and it's all easily loaded up that side ramp, keeping the dressing room clean and tidy as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C&C Trailer outside.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	34953   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CandC.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	34954  
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Default Add me to the "loves my 4 star crowd"

Got mine from LA Trailer sales in NC. They always have one in stock and gave me a good deal on the trade in. They delivered my new one, wrote me a check for the old one and drove it away.

Note: there is a 4 star dealer in Lexington, less than 40 minutes from my house. After having left several email and calls and going down there, he was not interested in helping me.

I was thrilled with LA and their service.

I have a huge draft cross, haul by myself. I L O V E the side ramp and truly, unless you have a really enormous horse (my guy not only fits, but will turn around, even with the "doors" open (and you could always shut them and hang a hay bag from it. ) You'll be fine. Mine has the walk thru to the dressing room, which I love.

Get one.

Many great comments, thanks. Do any of you find that you really miss the "escape" door on the curb side? Is it a pain to have to drop the ramp to get access to the horses from that side?

I have a Hawk that I modified quite a bit from the standard floor plan.

You can see the floor plan here: http://gregh.smugmug.com/Animals/Haw...997470&k=tKEDL

My modifications did make it longer than the standard floor plan but I love working out of this trailer. I love that I can walk from the very front of the trailer to the rear of the trailer without going outside (I camp out of my trailer and later added a weekender package for some more creature comforts). The modifications also make the front wall straight - and I moved the doors around so that I could access each horse easily. The +1 horse has a box stall that is nearly 9' long. I tie that horse so he rides backwards facing his buddies in the two straight stalls. I also added a saddle rack post to the box so that I can move the racks from the front to the box and use that as a mid-tack when the box is unoccupied.

I'm very pleased with how the Hawk is holding up. Prior to this trailer, I had a 2-horse straight load Kiefer that was having some fairly significant issues by the time it was 4 years old. The Hawk has passed the 4-year mark and still looks great.

Just keep in mind that you don't have to buy straight off the lot - Hawk was VERY easy to work with when it came to making the changes to the floor plan.