The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Update on the giant farm dogs who wouldn't stay home...

So the hundred pound puppies are now nearly 3 years old and seem to have found a brain between them. You know, the ones the rescue told us would mature to around 70 lbs? and are now over 110 lbs? each? The Rottie?/boxer?/lab? corsses that look exactly like mastiffs?

These are the same dogs who have never been aggressive to any human, but have had several complaints phoned into the police when they ran down to the end of the driveway in an attempt to drown passersby in drool and wiggles. Who would not come back when called. Who proved that invisible fence doesn't work when rabbits are crossing the line. And for whom I was moaning a few months back- would they ever grow up?

We kept working on them diligently, the same training they've had since puppyhood and it has finally taken. We recently have been able to take them off leash to public parks and beaches and had them stick close even in the face of menacing shitzus and attractive labrador bitches.

They ALWAYS come when called now even if they are tempted to be extra friendly to folks on the path in front of our house.

And today the piéce de resistance- the garbage truck happened by while we were out feeding the horses- they of course, ran to protect me from the man in the orange coverall stealing our precious green bags of good smelly stuff, but immediately returned to me when called, obediently entering their kennel when asked, even though the garbage man was only 10 feet away.

Good doggies!

All it takes is time. repetition. Consistency. And bags and bags of marrows bones.

(I have given up wondering why there are so many dog threads on this forum and joined the fray...)
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

It's fighting a losing battle with the canine threads Cat...but at least yours isn't about a little kickable dog that won't eat it's designer kibble.

Some of the large dogs take a while for their brains to catch up to their size.

So where are the photos of the big kids?
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

hehehe- so many requests for those lately- I must post an updated picture- but they don't both fit in the same frame--out to take piccies!

As for designer kibble- does Pedigree pal with a raw egg and leftover rice stirred in count?
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

You designed it...so yep, it counts!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Glad to know their brains finally caught up with their bodies.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by CatOnLap View Post
    stealing our precious green bags of good smelly stuff
    Yup, that sounds like what they think

I was really confused at first. I read "So the hundred pound puppies are now nearly 3 years old..." and Im trying to figure out why/how you got 100 puppies from the pound.

Now that I understand, I want to see these 100lb dogs that you have trained so well. I had a good friend who had a really sweet mastiff that everyone was afraid off. The UPS guy would back down their driveway and put the package on top of the trashcan so he wouldnt have to get out of the truck. They told him many times that the dog wasnt aggressive, even with strangers, but he wouldnt risk it.

Yay! Someone who identified the problem, made a consistent effort to train the dogs and FIXED the problem!!!! I love it.

My youngest German Shepherd Dog is now a little more than 4 years old, and he is finally starting to mature mentally. Some dogs just take longer, and bigger dogs seem to take the longest.
    Sheilah

Quote Originally Posted by CatOnLap View Post
    The Rottie?/boxer?/lab? corsses that look exactly like mastiffs?
    Ugh! If they are indeed Mastiffs I can sympathize with you! Of course, mine would probably be terrified of the garbage bags!

Why was it until AFTER I got them that I learned they obey commands 25% or less of the time ....