The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Talking Talk to me about bras, especially for jumping, for the um, well, "ample bosum" set

So my "girls" are too big. I know that but I'm not gonna do anything about it because i really like being able to say I have a natural set of DDs but OMG jumping with them is killing me!

In the past I have doubled up on running bras but that got pretty irritating. I ride in a high impact bra, which has been fine but I think I need to replace them with t-back bras because the straps just aren't supportive enough over fences. I need to find a good jumping bra for larger sized girls. (I have heard Enell is now mediocre at best. )

Are there any other brands that work for those of us with an overflowing cornucopia of womanliness?

OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

You could always just use your vest to jump. Guarantee you that will keep the girls smooched into line!

Quote Originally Posted by onelove View Post
    (I have heard Enell is now mediocre at best. )
    Have you tried Enell?

Natural DD here, too. I have tried a lot of options, including a regular bra over a sports bra and various sports bras. The only that really eliminates the bounce is the Enell. Granted, I bought mine a couple of years ago -- but they are still in like new condition and far from mediocre. Are you hearing that they have changed the Enells so the newer ones aren't as supportive?

I really wanted to avoid the uniboob, but Enell is so supportive that I can deal with the uniboob look. They are on the expensive side and a little tricky to get into the first time... but since trying them, I haven't looked back. I'm currently looking for a more affordable sports bra that works as well, but am coming up short. I was just planning to order more Enells... now I'm a bit worried they changed them.

Quote Originally Posted by scubed View Post
    wow thanks Scubed going to go tell "Santa" what "the girls" want for Christmas. Thanks!

Phaxxton...I haven't tried Enell in the saddle, did try one on and wasn't impressed with it. That was several years ago. I have heard that their construction is not what it used to be and that they are better for smaller sizes than the larger ones. But that's just what I have heard.

MJRTango93.... you're right. I should be wearing my vest. I need to break it in but I hate wearing it. Oh boy do I hate wearing it. But you are right...it flattens them squishes them makes it look like I don't even have them and being that it's friggin cold now, I could use the extra heat. I have the Intec vest, the oh so not comfortable to ride in yet Intec vest so I could definitely get the duct tape support I need from my vest.

Quote Originally Posted by scubed View Post

But she says she is a DD. Only the first and last you listed come in DD.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I LOVE Enell! Uniboob is a small price to pay for the fact that you can sit the trot without ANY bouncing! They are not "pretty" and they are a bit of a struggle to put on, but everything else is a waste of $ IMO.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by onelove View Post
    I have heard that their construction is not what it used to be and that they are better for smaller sizes than the larger ones. But that's just what I have heard.
    Are you sure you're not confusing Enell with Wacoal? That's a frequent comment I've heard about Wacoal bras. Though I like them for every day, I could NEVER wear them for exercise or riding. I only ask because I frequently confuse the names (even though they sound nothing alike )

I've seen the Wacoal recommended for riding, but they really aren't good if you're over a C cup... Enell works for me, though. I found them weird at first, but way more supportive than anything else. Still, what works for one may not work for another. If you find something else that works, please post.

For riding I've been wearing a Champions for some time, and they are great. I haven't jumped in a while, but they are quite comfortable (a D or so also, myself)

These are not 'cup sized', but come in XS - XL.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...u=018AM049000P
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

I ride in a high impact Champion, not sure which one but bought several after liking it so much. It has the basic bra design, which is what I liked about it, and it gave me enough shape to look un-uniboobie lol. BUT I need the support between my shoulder blades so I am thinking that I need to go to a cross strap in the back with wider straps. Or maybe I'll just get some vet wrap and elasticon and tape em down

Default Tips from the bra queen....

I have you all beat at a very solid 36I.

Enell is the only bra on the market (and seriously, I mean the ONLY bra--I bet I've spent more time, $, and heartache bra shopping than any other 10 women combined) that will even come close to controlling my girls. It took me trying several different Enells (my tip of the day--there is an eBay seller who sells seconds and can get ones with bands larger or smaller than normal, etc and with trying a few you can really figure out what the best combo is) before I found my perfect combo but for the first time in 20 years, I'm only wearing 1 bra to ride a VERY bouncy horse. I can wear it all day and while it isn't exactly comfy, it does its job. When it's brand new, it's hard as hell to get on (think brand new custom non-zip boots) but if you buy it any looser, it'll stretch quickly and you'll be having it altered. I've tried Title 9, Champion, DK, Wacoal, Freya, Anita, Aviane, etc and nothing works like Enell. Yes, it's uniboob-ish, but it works so I honestly don't give a flying flip what it looks like as long as I can sit the trot all day long......

If you want more details about the eBay seller, just pm me. I'm always willing to share info and the seller is absolutely top notch to deal with.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Thanks so much for posting this!! I don't jump (well, not deliberately) but do ride little cutting horses once in awhile and when they drop down 2 feet and feint left, right, left going about 10 feet sideways with each one and doing it all in about a 1.5 second time frame....well, you can get hurt out there....or a black eye at the very least. I'll be checking out the links here!! Thanks again....I was beginning to consider some surgical "fixit" but would have to wait for Medicare to kick in.....and a 65 year old wanting a reduction would be the talk of the hospital for weeks.

Is there anywhere you can try these things on?

A couple of years ago I ordered several from Title 9, and they were complete disasters. They cut into my ribs and shoulders, and they gave less support than my "Platex 18 hour" bra!

It makes me very reluctant to order something I can't try on first.
    Janet

When I was a DD, BK (before kids) I had success with this bra: http://www.titlenine.com/product/bou...urPicks&page=3 And I then put a basic tight mono-mammory sports bra over.

The bounce was causing bleeding at certain times of the month. Talk about freak out. It lead to a visit to the worst doctor I've ever seen followed by a visit to the best doctor I've ever seen. (And much angst in between.) Lucky me, it was diagnosed to be a hormonal issue and the double bras worked great! The nice part was that I could slip out of the second bra as soon as I got off and didn't have to wear a bulletproof thing for hours on end.

32D here, it's almost impossible for me to find bras that fit me. I'm also a competitive runner, and my coach got me a CW-X that has been incredible. There's no bounce in any direction, including upward, which is so important. I won't wear anything else. It's so supportive, I leave it unhooked when I'm not actually on a horse or running and it's fine. We paid about $45 for it.

OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    Is there anywhere you can try these things on?

It makes me very reluctant to order something I can't try on first.
    Here's the link to Enell retail locations. They are weird at first (think of the first time you tried on spanx) but you get used to it and they are the ONLY sports bra that works for me.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" Immanuel Kant

I have the CWX as well--runningwarehouse.com has free shipping and free returns, which is AWESOME, plus if you plug the code CP15 in at the top where it says team discounts, you get 15% off on most of their stuff.

It's good to ride in, but the straps are too wide for my shoulders and it rubs me when I run--I actually have yet to find a good quality sports bra that doesn't. I buy the crappy Fruit of the Loom 3-pack ones a size small and wear them 99% of the time. But I'm "only" a D.

It amazes me that there are women who voluntarily enlarge their boobs. Seriously, if they only knew.

Legohorse Guest

Another Enell fan! Very happy with the "support" I get.