The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mepkkg View Post
    I'm in north Florida and this week totally makes me wonder how all you "true northerners" do it!! The past three days it's barely gotten past 40 during the day, (which is frigid for us..) ..
    LOL, and I've been PRAYING it would get up to 40 for a few days a week here. The 10 day said it would a few days back, but now it's all back to nothing but 30's & 20's as far as the eye can see

I had considered moving to an indoor again this winter but with a nice barn with job allowing the ability to ride in daylight I smugly thought I could ride all winter just fine there.

Just when I think I have the arena rideable again we get hit with another major snowstorm. Sigh.

Haven't been on for a month now

The true Northerners seem to have indoors- grew up in Cleveland.... we rode indoors from what seemed like October to April. Not that it is a huge improvement- but it saves you from the "oh my a 25mph wind from the north just blew up my horse's quarter sheet" sillies, of course in exchange you get the "holy shit what was that noise" sillies when a couple hundred pounds of ice and snow slide down the roof. :-)

40....ah the thought of 40...i just looked at the 10 day and it's not even supposed to get up to 30! The lows are in the single digits.... not fun. I have 2 to ride tonight....MIGHT chicken out and just longe my OTTB...i really SHOULD ride him....

YES!

Gnomeland...yes, i should ride him? Thanks for the moral support...he went from quiet in October when I got him to not so quiet now...thankfully, he's very polite - no bucks or silliness..just fast and unfocused...

ok ok i'll ride him.

Thumbs up GO SOUTH!go to Fla. in December

GO to F?la. in December!

Quote Originally Posted by magnolia73 View Post
    The true Northerners seem to have indoors Or go to Fla. in December grew up in Cleveland.... we rode indoors from what seemed like October to April. Not that it is a huge improvement- but it saves you from the "oh my a 25mph wind from the north just blew up my horse's quarter sheet" sillies, of course in exchange you get the "holy shit what was that noise" sillies when a couple hundred pounds of ice and snow slide down the roof. :-)
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

No indoor at my barn, and thus desperately waiting for Spring to come more quickly.

Yes, PLEASE let spring come sooner. Although I have a lazy pony, he likes to get a little hyper with those leaves blowing around. If it was just cold, it wouldn't be too bad. It is the wind that kills me. Makes everything miserable. And to top it all off, I don't have an indoor OR a covered. Just me out in my "dirt circle" with no railing. Sounds fun right?

Oh, I'm so sick of this weather! I hate even going out to the barn to feed/pick stalls every day. And the barn is in my backyard! I know, that's pathetic. I was doing so well riding this fall, and now I can't do it. TN has been crazy cold (for us...will be 11º tonight!) and snowy. I didn't turn my horses out for two days and when I did, all five of them were idiots. Even the really laid back QH was rearing on the end of the line. Actually, he was the worst of the bunch.

I remember the days as a kid in MI waiting till it got UP to 0º to go out and ride! What was I thinking???

Quote Originally Posted by myalter1 View Post
    i KNOW! To make things worse, 2 of the kids in the barn are heading to Ocala for February...OH to be a jr. again, with someone else paying the bills! LOL
    Hey, not all juniors with horses are so lucky! I WISH my dad could send me down to Ocala for the winter with my horsie! Maybe next winter after I graduate I'll bring my horse down and board him near my mom's house in Tampa and stay with her!

I totally hear this...I live in Oklahoma and the weather is so horrific in the winter Luckily, we just built a brand new indoor and my horses aren't too too green!
    "Success is the best revenge"

ug no complaints!!! i cannot think of one barn in atlanta with an indoor that is completely closed. NO ONE is riding right now!!!

We don't have an indoor at my trainer's barn (usually don't really need one in GA). The arena looks like an ice skating rink right now!

I hate winter -- spring CANNOT get here fast enough for me!

I'm still waiting for mother nature to drop her other foot and send our temps below zero for the high...so I feel blessed for 20 for now... it WILL come soon enough! oh sigh!

Why do you think I spent the ice storm this week pricing an indoor! And in NC yet! NEVER seen winters like last year and this year and lived here nearly all my life. Can't get lessons taught, horses ridden, miserable to go out and feed/do barn. BUT they are predicting 50's on sunda, monday and tuesday!!!

JEEZ! You guys make me feel like a sissy! I'm here in CA shivering my arse off and its been between 35-50... no snow... We're too spoiled!!

I braved it tonight. I was even fairly cozy getting tacked... in four shirts (one a fleece), thermal pants, fleece lined breeches, and carhartts! (Yes. Yes I am a wimp)

It was worth it but seems like a lot of laundry. I did drop the carharts and jacket for most of our hack and felt industrious. Mind you, this was in the indoor.

40 for the weekend sounds ugh, almost warmish.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

Today I hooked everything up and was planning to go to ride with the trainer (2mi down the road!)....we did have 2' of snow yesterday, but that's not a huge issue, everything was 'back to normal' today...good thing I decided to take a 'pre-trip' down the road before loading the horse. Ice, nicely hidden under a thin snow layer, jack-knifed trailer & snow bank that required a call to the neighbor (my uncle) to be pulled out with the back-hoe. Just wonderful. Glad I went for a test-drive, with the trailer, I had a hunch

I live in MA, there's no reason for the terrible plow job. I'm now investigating snow tires for the trailer, if it was an ER I wasn't getting anywhere.

Went for a wonderful, hour long hack, all over the property, through the deep snow...very peaceful.

yeah, tell me about it. I rode tonight and it was freezing, even in the indoor.

It's scary when the weatherman says it's going to be a high of 19. Excuse me, but 19 is never a high.

Hey I'm up here in lake effect land CNY... where I routinely plow at least twice a day between the drifts from the wind and the new stuff coming down, with no indoor. If the actual temp is 19 or above (not including wind chill) I think my students would tar and feather me for trying to cancel! Very proud of my arctic cast of characters up here, both students and horses!

I am almost ready for spring, but not quite yet. I am currently using this snow to my advantage to break out a colt this month. It is way too tough to be a real booger when I keep the snow in the small ring halfway up to his knees. =) Being a bit of the lazy type he so far has given up during any baby rebellions very quickly since it is much more work than walking nicely on the packed down path... And it is also nice to know that there is a good coat of fluff everywhere, since I am sticking to my guns even with the breaking out and continuing on my no-stirrups for the winter plan. But another couple weeks of work on the brat, than I say bring on the SPRING!!!