The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Spring, Can you come a LITTLE faster, PLEASE?

Just a little bit tired of riding when it's FREEZING and dealing with my green bean OTTB who thinks he needs to be ridden for 1 hour or more every day. My motivation is waning, when I get out of work and it's 25 or less degrees with a wind chill of 10!

Just hoping for April to come a little faster. anyone else commiserating with me???

You know what- I am type A about my horse being ridden 5-6 days a week... so I have decided this week to act like she has an abcess and can't be ridden.

Next winter I am very tempted to pull shoes in December until March!

I boarded out for the winter, thus I MUST go to the barn and ride. I am very ready for spring!

Tonight I think I will try to ride in my carhartts.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

Oh i wish i could do that. I just couldn't justify paying board on my horse if I wasn't riding him in the winter.... sigh. just have to break out the Carhartts i guess.

Our farm is not set up well for winter riding, with a grass ring that gets muddy and then freezes. So I reseeded it in the fall and took the horse elsewhere for winter - with an indoor - but still - THIS IS COLD!!!
    ---
    They're small hearts.

I thought *for certain* that purchasing my own wool quarter sheet would insure a nice winter of 50-60 degree balmy temperatures so it would sit in my locker as an unused waste of money.

Trixie- you know technically by moving Wings that should have triggered a dry, warm winter up in your area- perfect for riding out!

AMEN! Spring can't come soon enough. Even with an indoor - it's below freezing in there after work + a miserable riding experience. Anybody else been dreaming of a heated indoor? (not in my budget any time soon)

Living in the south, we're not really equipped for a lot of snow and ice in the winter (i.e. no indoor, no snow padded shoes). This is the 3rd out of 6 weeks that I cannot ride or teach. This winter is going to either bankrupt me or drive me to the mental hospital. Which comes first remains to be seen.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Trixie- you know technically by moving Wings that should have triggered a dry, warm winter up in your area- perfect for riding out!
    You would THINK, given that last year I had him clipped and installed ring lights and we got freaking snowpocalypse and Wings got quite a bit of time off.

I would assume that by that logic, moving him to the place with the indoor, the weather would be nice enough to ride outdoors until spring comes.

Apparently not.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

So glad to have friends to commiserate with... Getting to the barn, after dark, with my OTTB who is a bit "up" is not what i REALLY want to be doing...sitting by the fire, with a book, sounds a bit more appealing when it's 14 degrees. AND getting my 7 year old out there to ride her pony just seems, well, mean and cruel. lol

I want spring too! Trying to deal with the needs of 24 head, teach and do my training rides is not appealing when it's under 30 degrees. I too am dreaming of a heated building, praying to get it done for next year.

Saw this and completely agree. I am still working at the barn on weeknights, doing a day job and going to school. Im a bit tired out when I finally get to the barn around 3pm and we just got about 2ft of snow up here in CT so bringing the horses in is an interesting process and we have about 40 of them. Once I finish feeding and watering its time to ride my horse when its usually quite cold and hes coming back from a collateral ligament injury. Im just so lucky that (knock on wood) he has been a saint so far considering he usually jumps in the air year round for no particular reason which caused the injury back in August. So far, so good but were just walking 30min and trotting twice around each way. I hope it gets warmer as our exercises increase haha

i couldn't even GET my horse to trot yesterday! he didn't get T/O because of the snow and there were lessons, so i couldn't longe. It was about 1/2 hour of walking and cantering before he would even REMOTELY trot. Sigh...

myalter1 - suprisingly I sometimes have the same problem. I think my horse thinks hes just a walking horse now haha

Oh you people with access to indoors are lucky!! I am stuck outside. In the snow. Thankfully Mr. Pony doesn't care either way whether he gets ridden every day or once a week... he's pretty chill.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

If I didn't board at a farm with an indoor, there's no way i could ride my horse! It's 23 degrees NOW and the weather channel says it feels like 13..what is it going to feel like at 4:30 PM when the sun is going down...brrr. I'm cold sitting here at my desk in the office. NOT wanting to get out there tonight!

Yes, Spring! It is very cold, low 20s on a good day. But we had a melt in December, then a freeze so now ground in frozen in lumpy form. snow on top so its impossible to ride around. Horse bored and silly. Then I watched the streaming GM last week and saw sun and palm trees which makes me wonder why I put with winter here!!

i KNOW! To make things worse, 2 of the kids in the barn are heading to Ocala for February...OH to be a jr. again, with someone else paying the bills! LOL

I'm in north Florida and this week totally makes me wonder how all you "true northerners" do it!! The past three days it's barely gotten past 40 during the day, (which is frigid for us..) Combine that with the fact we just finished body clipping my mare is more than enough of a reason for her to be a terror this week

I have a new found respect for all of you dealing with the snow and the horsies..

Quote Originally Posted by mepkkg View Post
    I'm in north Florida and this week totally makes me wonder how all you "true northerners" do it!! The past three days it's barely gotten past 40 during the day, (which is frigid for us..) Combine that with the fact we just finished body clipping my mare is more than enough of a reason for her to be a terror this week

I have a new found respect for all of you dealing with the snow and the horsies..
    40?! That's downright TROPICAL!! I'd KILL for 40!!! My footing doesn't resemble concrete when it's 40!
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE