The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default People who hold up shows...

I was at a jumper show today (Hazelwild in VA). All the competitors made it to the show in plenty of time, everyone got warmed up and schooled, and all was going well. We were on our way to actually starting the show on time when the announcement is made the show will be delayed 30 minutes because one farm is running late. It's cold and the day is going to be long as it is. And now the show is being delayed because this one farm doesn't have their act together.

This is a farm that's been showing long enough that they should know how to get to a show on time. The show starts at 9, so you make sure you're there no later than 7:45 or 8 at the latest. Since they didn't even GET to the show until after 9, gee what time do you think they left to get there? And to then call and ask them to hold the show just for you???

Why should the rest of the competitors have to suffer because of this one barn's poor time management? We had barely a dusting of snow which was predicted, the roads were fine, but I'm sure that's the excuse given. Well, gee everyone else made it by 8, including farms that travelled further, why couldn't YOU??? It's your job as a trainer to make sure you're there on time. To ask that we hold the show for you is really inconsiderate.

As an unrelated aside, I also wonder why it seems every horse at this barn goes in a gag, twisted wire bit, kimberwicke, or (my fav) a twisted wire gag?? A snaffle is an exception, not a rule for this place.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Hopefully the other exhibitors will vote with their wallets and not support a show management that would hold up a show and inconvenience all of their other exhibitors just to cater to one trainer.

But of course for that to be effective, you have to tell management why you have chosen not to return, and most trainers don't want to have a conversation like that with a show manager, either because they simply don't "confrontation," or because they figure they might not have any better alternatives.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

This has happened at one show series we go to fairly regularly and is frustrating, espcially since we are the FURTHEST farm that goes there at about 1 1/2 hour travel time! We reguarly leave before dawn to get there in time to school and be ready for first division (since I invariably have kids showing in that). And THEN they let them school! Ugh! PArticularly bad for us since we have a LONG drive back home again and a barn to feed and take care of when I get back!

Ugh, that's so frustrating!

We waited once for over an hour to complete a hack. The class had enough entries over fences to run the fences portion for over an hour. Somehow the trainer couldn't juggle two arenas and we kept getting "it'll just be 10 minutes, it'll just be 10 more minutes." An hour later she saunters up, jumps a couple and goes in the arena. If they had told me that it was going to take an hour to run the hack, I would have just scratched!

I would definitely leave a note with management that that was really not cool...

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Many years ago, we were at a show where the adult hunters were first thing in the morning. We all got up, got schooled, cleaned up etc and did our rounds at 8 am sharp... and had to wait for well over an hour as the judge held the cards open and wouldn't run the hack. And this was a rated show at the Horse Park in Conyers (the former Olympic venue, not exactly a backyard affair.)

No one could figure out what was going on until we overheard the gate guy's radio - saying that another local trainer had just arrived, and would send her ONE adult over "soon."

Of course she had to school first, and took her time about it.

She came in, did her over fences rounds back to back, and then they ran the hack. Our horses were mostly pretty p*ssy by then, having been held at the the ring for close to two hours; no one dared leave because we were continuously assured, "it will only be a few minutes before we run the hack."

The rider who showed up at her leisure had a nice relaxed horse, and was on him for maybe a total of 20 minutes.

She won all three classes, got her championship ribbon, and didn't even apologize for holding up the entire ring for close to two hours.

Several of us got pretty aggravated at the whole thing, and decided to scratch the balance of the show. We were polite but clear about why. Management could not have cared less.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

I don't show much (just local schooling shows) so I have not ever had to deal with this, thank goodness. But, I just don't understand how holding up a ring for 2 HOURS is acceptable?? For ONE FREAKING PERSON no less. Who is making that call? Why does management deem that acceptable? Do the 10-30 odd competitors in that class who actually have their s*** together not matter? Why is this one person/barn so important? It totally blows my mind. And makes me never want to show rated.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    The rider who showed up at her leisure had a nice relaxed horse, and was on him for maybe a total of 20 minutes.

She won all three classes, got her championship ribbon, and didn't even apologize for holding up the entire ring for close to two hours.

Several of us got pretty aggravated at the whole thing, and decided to scratch the balance of the show. We were polite but clear about why. Management could not have cared less.
    Man, if I were a judge, I wouldn't pin her on principle! So rude!

I know the people who run this show. Poor management is not the exception.

Yes, this show series never starts on time, that's true. And as long as this show manager has been doing this (decades), you'd think she'd have her act together by now. That's what made this even more frustrating; it looked like for ONCE we'd be starting at 9 am instead of 9:20ish... And this show is more expensive per class than any other PLUS they want a $10 fee in addition to show fees just for using the ring. It's not cheap to show there. And they're not good at keeping things moving either. And it's not the ring crew that hold things up, but the management.

I wish I could vote with my wallet, but for some reason, jumper shows are few and far between even though we're in "horse country"; it's either this series that's 20 miles away or ones that are 45-60 miles away. My students' parents don't want to trailer that far for a winter series.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    Many years ago, we were at a show where the adult hunters were first thing in the morning. We all got up, got schooled, cleaned up etc and did our rounds at 8 am sharp... and had to wait for well over an hour as the judge held the cards open and wouldn't run the hack. And this was a rated show at the Horse Park in Conyers (the former Olympic venue, not exactly a backyard affair.)

No one could figure out what was going on until we overheard the gate guy's radio - saying that another local trainer had just arrived, and would send her ONE adult over "soon."

Of course she had to school first, and took her time about it.

She came in, did her over fences rounds back to back, and then they ran the hack. Our horses were mostly pretty p*ssy by then, having been held at the the ring for close to two hours; no one dared leave because we were continuously assured, "it will only be a few minutes before we run the hack."

There was a similar delay at I show I went to this summer. The class sizes were pretty light so management was fairly liberal delaying things until the one barn with a large number of horses arrived (actually, I don't think the first divsion would have filled without them). I was talking to the judge during the delay and he said that he wouldn't mind the delays so much except that in his experience, the one everyone waits for usually comes in an has a terrible trip. Sure enough the first trip by the trainer causing the delay started with a BIG chip to the first fence and a pulled rail about midway through
    Auventera Two:Some women would eat their own offspring if they had some dipping sauce.
    Serious Leigh: it sounds like her drama llama should be an old schoolmaster by now.

I watched a show this year that had a similar thing happen- one woman with two horses held the class (thankfully not for two hours, but) for 45 minutes. She KNEW she was taking two horses into that division, WHY would she wait to be the last two rounds to go before the flat? It boggled my mind to see her finish with horse 1, walk over to where horse 2 was being held, discuss the round (or the menu of their favorite restaurant, who knows- it took a long time), have some water (herself, not the horse), untack horse 1, transfer saddle to horse 2, crrrraaaaaaawwwwlll over to the warmup ring. She did probably 5 laps at a walk in the warmup ring. Then more than that at the trot. Canter each direction. Then about 8 warmup fences. Then she walked another lap. Then, and only then, did she make her leisurely way to the ring. Girl could have been on $100 backyard ponies and I *still* would have been 'aghasted' at her sense of entitlement!! Who does that?!

I'm ALL for people getting their bearings and focus before they rush into a course, especially if their horse or they themselves may be young/unaccustomed to showing. But some forethought and consideration, please!!

*saunters, leisurely, off her soapbox*

Quote Originally Posted by stonzthrow View Post
    Yes, this show series never starts on time, that's true. And as long as this show manager has been doing this (decades), you'd think she'd have her act together by now. That's what made this even more frustrating; it looked like for ONCE we'd be starting at 9 am instead of 9:20ish... And this show is more expensive per class than any other PLUS they want a $10 fee in addition to show fees just for using the ring. It's not cheap to show there. And they're not good at keeping things moving either. And it's not the ring crew that hold things up, but the management.

I wish I could vote with my wallet, but for some reason, jumper shows are few and far between even though we're in "horse country"; it's either this series that's 20 miles away or ones that are 45-60 miles away. My students' parents don't want to trailer that far for a winter series.

Send me a PM and I'll share my experiences from this summer with you. I don't want to go bashing the manager on the forum as I do have a lot of respect for her as a horse woman and as a person. I feel your pain. I live in Culpeper and don't have a trailer of my own yet, so this was a show series close to or at "home" for me. I wish the CVSJA has more shows. This whole concept of "schooling" of the course to me is so foreign as I've never had the opportunity. And yes, the shows are ridiculously expensive especially when you get to the 3' and above. 25 dollars for a class seems a little steep for the quality of the courses and fences. Especially when you add in the grounds fee or office fee that usually accompanies this show. That sad, in this area there aren't many show to go to, especially in the winter. I'm going to try to take my green bean OTTB to Hazelwild for her show in two weeks. The chaos, to me, IS good for getting a grean bean through a hectic show...

Thumbs down Thank You!

As an unrelated aside, I also wonder why it seems every horse at this barn goes in a gag, twisted wire bit, kimberwicke, or (my fav) a twisted wire gag?? A snaffle is an exception, not a rule for this place.
    IMO at this place, jumper= harsh harsh bit. No sorry you don't need a twist or a gag to turn your horse.

This seems pretty typical for a lot of the smaller shows in VA - and I'm with you, because generally, we're hauling butt to get there on time - and yet, somehow generally manage it. I would not ask a horse show series to wait for us to show up - I figure if we miss our class, that's OUR fault.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

Yeah, it's annoying. In the AQHA world, we go on without the rider! The only acception is if they are in another arena showing another horse, but otherwise, they just keep on going.

I know this probably won't be a popular opinion, but...It was a schooling show. As a manager of a schooling show series, I've learned to be flexible and accomodating to those who support my shows. If that means waiting for someone to arrive, so be it.

The show probably doesn't make big $$$. If the late barn has been a big supporter of their shows, and calls to say they have a flat tire/horse that won't load/stuck behind an accident/whatever and are running late, I think it's appropriate to wait for them before closing the division. Yes, it sucks for the other people, but I know I'd appreciate the courtesy of a ring hold for a brief time if I was having trouble getting there for some reason. (And for the record, I've never caused a show to run late...but have held a ring to help out others who have.)

I expect this to happen at schooling shows sometimes, and found that it's better to accept it than to get my panties in a wad over having to spend a little extra time hanging out with my horses at the ring.
    Please don't sabotash my conchess.

I've known, and had a horse trained by the manager of these shows, for almost ten years. Having been on other side, working for show management (of other series), it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. If the trainer's request to delay the show was denied, they too could decide to scratch that series off their list, just like you are threatening to.
    There's coffee in that nebula.

Today w/ the snow I would take exception to having management hold the show. Also different areas may have had more snow than others, and although the snow was light, thre were several accidents early this morning. Had it been your trailer being delayed, I'm sure you would have appreciated management holding the show for your arrival...

Having been on the management side of some area show associations, if we know about a trainer who had a problem and asked for us to hold a class for them we would try to accommodate them as best we could...Ha ha, a couple of years ago I was running the gate at one of our shows and MY trainer was running late..the show management said no problem we'll wait for her thinking she was about 5-10 minutes away.. For whatever reason I called her - they were just leaving the barn -at least 30 minutes away + time to enter, tack up and school. Forget it. We started the next divisions w/o them.

I also do not like it at all if a show seems to show a bit of favoritism towards a particular trainer(s)... Sure conflicts happen, but sometimes they happen to other trainers too.be fair to everyone.

But if it becomes a catch-22, and they're going to make someone upset anyway, why on earth should management punish the people who showed up on time and were ready to ride? Especially since they were, I imagine, from more than just one barn. It makes more sense to lose one barn than multiple barns. I've missed classes because I was late. I wouldn't ever have even dreamed of asking management to hold them for me-it wasn't their fault my barn didn't have their act together. It cost me ribbons, most likely very good ribbons, but I would never have even asked the other competitors to wait on me. That's beyond rude.

I've seen it happen at our local schooling shows if a trainer is juggling kids between two arenas... But for the most part.. Carry on without them!
    In my opinion a horse is the animal to have. Eleven-hundred pounds of raw muscle, power, grace, and sweat between your legs. Its something you just can't get from a pet hamster.
    In The Nick of Time