The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default This May Be the World's Best Self-Loading Horse

"No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

That was really neat - what a cool horse!

that horse needs to come over and have a conversation with my horse....

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpin_Horses View Post
    that horse needs to come over and have a conversation with my horse....
    Just posted the exact same thing on my FB!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

I have to say, I have a well mannered horse but everytime I see a video where the horse knows more commands than my dog I get thinking about how I KNOW I should be able to teach my horse more things but don't really know where to start....

In the old days, ranch horse rode in the back of pick ups. Usually had some sort of wood or pipe rack on the sides. Yes, they just hoped right up.

I am sure I really just dated myself with that.
    Closest thing to a sauna around here would be tarping over a few cows, hold a bucket of water & light a match.

Couldn't watch the video, but I knew a horse that would self load/unload into a horse van with a good sized ramp too! You could NOT lead this horse on, he'd knock you off the ramp! He walked right up and then backed into "his" stall. Unloading, undo the breast bar and play catch on the landing side.

Granted this guy had been showing for years, so he just figured out the pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by ThisTooShallPass View Post
    In the old days, ranch horse rode in the back of pick ups. Usually had some sort of wood or pipe rack on the sides. Yes, they just hoped right up.

My dad always tells the story of driving accross state with his brother.... and his brother's horse in the back of the pick up truck. Apparently it liked to paw, banging the back of the cab the whole drive. Sounded like it was pretty standard back then to just put the horse in the back of the truck, I never understood HOW they got the horse up there!

Quote Originally Posted by ThisTooShallPass View Post

Nope....still happening sometimes out here. My old cutting horse used to load (saddled with bridle hanging on the horn and a blanket over everything if in winter) into the last slot in a three horse slant load that never quite came to a stop. We were headed 2 1/2 hours to cutting practice after work and time was short. I'd go help my driver buddy's wife and kid get their horses ready and the trailer loaded and then head home to get mine done....driver, wife, kid and their two horses would head to my place as soon as he was home and I'd be standing at the end of the drive with the horse. Kid would hop out of the truck and open the back of the trailer, I'd jog my horse up and he'd jump in, the kid and I would close up the trailer and then catch up to the truck and load in both side back doors...loading took less than a minute and the truck never completely stopped rolling and we were off! He'd also load into a trailer just pointing him at it and telling him to load up...nearly lost him one night after practice when he loaded in the trailer next to ours (I'd pointed and he walked that direction and I turned back to get a mare ready..he just veered to the next trailer over) and the fellow owning it offered to take him home.

Wish I had a video of it....my old cutting trainer had a long horn bull that would load and ride in the back of a pickup...took him to town one day and he jumped out while they were in a store...had to track him down (not hard to do with everyone in town pointing!) and take the truck over and tell him to load up again...just went visiting...friendly bull.