The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default touching regumate

Does anyone know of the dangers that may occur if an adolecent girl were handling regumate on a daily basis without taking precautionary measures? I have of course read that contact with the drug should be avoided but never learned why.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

If I recall, at the minimum it can mess up your menstrual cycles. Years ago when it first came out I put my mare on it for the show season, and with a barn full of women, you would think it was toxic waste with all the precautions that we took (rubber gloves, etc). I'll go google it.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

http://www.regu-mate.com/label.asp

Looks like it's a synthetic progesterone (similar to that in a contraceptive pill), and that it is readily absorbed through the skin. Young girls probably shouldn't be handling this at all, to avoid risk of affecting growth and puberty.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

You can find the information here:

http://www.drugs.com/vet/regu-mate-solution.html
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

everyone should use extreme caution.

i have a friend who was not taking the appropriate precautions. she's had a hysterectomy/oophorectomy and takes hormone replacements, so she didn't think she needed to (silly rabbit). she started to have serious depression issues, really thought she was losing it, when a mutual friend figured out that she was getting this stuff all over her. she started handling it properly and presto, no more random tears.
    * trying hard to be the person that my horses think i am

Start mare on injectable altregenerist instead of the hassle of regumate.

purely anecdotal via the net: a BO didn't know the 'suplement' she was feeding was regumate, messed up her cycle...

I'd say err on the side of caution. I don't think I'd let a girl handle that stuff, and would not be eager to do so myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I was giving it orally to a mare I worked with and she slobbered on me twice after I dosed her....I did not get my period for 2 months. I thought I was preggers, kept taking HPT and coming up negative, I was flipping out. Then I remembered she had slobbered on me.

I was wearing gloves, was very careful with the bottle, but she dropped a bit of slobber on my forearm a few times and that was all it took.

I do not touch the stuff now.

My vet once told me when he was just out of school and working at a repro clinic they found one of the girls who would do morning chores/feeding and bring in the mares for breeding out in the middle of the pasture curled in a ball and bawling her eyes out and inconsolable because she couldn't catch one of the mares... turns out she had been handling it without gloves..,,scary stuff that. I wont touch it , I need my sanity.
    www.windhorsefrm.org and on Facebook too!
    Where mares rule and Basset Hounds drool!

Years ago I was working at a farm and feeding oine mare her regumate in a hand full of grain! Nobody told me to be careful handling it and it was my first experience with it. Now I'm wondering what it did to me?!!
    I did get breast cancer, course that could have been the diet coke and all the other stuff that causes cancer in rats

Quote Originally Posted by jacksmom View Post
    everyone should use extreme caution.

i have a friend who was not taking the appropriate precautions. she's had a hysterectomy/oophorectomy and takes hormone replacements, so she didn't think she needed to (silly rabbit)...
    Oh my, when I read the OP's question, this incident popped right into my head!

Our friend became VERY depressed, would go on crying jags, and was convinced that I was mad at her (I think because it took me a few hours longer than normal to respond to an e-mail she sent to me).

When she realized what the problem was, we all got a good laugh over it, including her!
    Jennifer Thomas Alcott
    Woodville, Virginia
    http://www.theshingleshanty.com

ANY of those hormone products can have pretty impressive effects on people. Once I just touched a bottle of LutaLyse that in hindsight had clearly had some spilled/leaked onto it...my body was wacked out for a month.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Former owner of the best Amish-carthorse-turned-eventer ever

Working for a primaryly repro vet, I handled it a lot in my late teens and early twenties- It never seemed to do anything to me. However, I would definitely recommend good gloves for someone handling it.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

We had a girl in the barn, that while handling with care, didn't handle it with enough care. Her sisters mare was getting it once a day, and she would get a couple drops here or there. Well a couple weeks of severe cramps and nausea and they figured out she was having reactions to the regumate. She handled that stuff like a bomb squad pro after that.

When talking with a female vet about regumate years ago, she encouraged me to only use it as a last resort and then see if my husband could do the dosing. She said it can impact your ability to have kids if you have too much contact with it. She also said to wear double layers of gloves and long sleeves and pants. She got some on herself when she was in vet school. She didn't have a menstral cycle for 6 months and then when it came, it was extremely painful and heavy. She scared me enough that I wont use it, ever.

When I was at a show barn that regularly used regumate, us females were not allowed to handle it at all. Barn rules. We had a male BM and a male groom and they were the only ones allowed to touch the stuff. It was always handled with gloves and very carefully. Like someone else mentioned earlier - we too treated it like toxic waste.

Yeahhhh just NOT a good idea to touch Regumate or handle it AT ALL if you are female. I have had friends whose cycles got totally whacked out for years after having contact with the stuff. One mare was on it at a barn I used to work at, and the male BO didn't allow any of the girls to touch it, he dosed the mare each day. Smart man!
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

I have not had any reactions to getting it on my skin but was warned of severe cramps.
    Sandy in Fla.

At the age of 18 as a working student, just went to move the bottle in the feed room and the person who had used it prior hadn't put the lid back on right...
    Got it ALL over my hands...
    Missed 4-5 months of period I think (wasn't worried about being pregnant as the number of men I encountered during my working student days were-none)... I'm a mess hormonally now.. can't be on any type of birth control without my body FREAKING out...
    I have no idea if it's directly related... could be... or not.
    Be careful!!!
    Proudly living in my "let's save the world bubble"!

Just another PSA - do not re-use the latex gloves you may wear when handling. The regumate can eat through them. Either use heavy-duty gloves or preferrably dispose after each use. Men should use the same precautions.