Hi all! I have purchased a mare in foal and imported her from Germany before. I recently inquired about a mare I am interested in, but she is due in Feb, which is obviously too soon to buy her and get her here beforehand. Has anyone ever shipped a mare over from Europe with foal at side? Estimated costs? Age of foal for travel? The advantage would be to put her back in foal over there, but not sure about the logistics. Any help?
Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved. - William Jennings Bryan
The forwarders / airline generally assign 60% of the pallet to a mare with foal at side and 40% to a single horse travelling with them, so instead of the pallet being split 3 ways (33% each cost wise), the mare and foal get 60% and the single gets 40%.
It gets tricky when the single horse owner balks at having to pay 7% more for the pallet cost and they may refuse to go along with it, so its a juggling act to find someone who doesnt mind the extra cost or someone with a large enough horse they NEED the extra space!
We are in exactly the same situation. Mare is due in February.
We are also going to get the mare pregnant before shipping back. We were advised the mare should be at least 3 months pregnant before shipping.
The advice we have gotten is that the foal should be at least 4 months old before shipping. They said if the foal is very healthy, you might be able to get away with 3 months. If the foal is not as healthy it may be better to wait for 5 months.
Eek that's an awful lot of horse to stuff into one pallet. How old were the foals? I wonder if they still let them fly that way.
Shipping foals this young is really dreadful. Just think of them being unable to lay down for easily 24h flying out of AMS into JFK, add extra airtime if it is into LAX. Let alone the limited airflow in the container while on board?! If you have an option I would at least wait until well after weaning and ship then. At 3-5 months old you hit them at the worst thinkable time b/c maternal antibodies are already dropping and the foal hasn't had any chance to build up an immunity in their own standing.
Would also faciliate the process with the mare to ship her securely back in foal as a part of a triplet. Less hassle and much less stressful if you ask me. Of course most of them will come out on four legs the problems generally don't start before the next day or even later. You are facing a recovery time of 6-8 weeks until the transportees are physically back to normal.
I wouldn't want to risk it.
We've shipped in german pony mares with foals by their side and the mares were bred back. Two other weanlings came in one container slot themselves. I wouldn't do this unless the mare is at least 3 months pregnant and as I'm sure you know the mare will have to go into CEM quarantine. One of the weanlings that shipped in was held at NY due to a temperature and I have to believe she was not handled very nicely to have her temp taken over that holding time. She was terrified, had obviously been grabbed by the ears and it took months and months to gain her trust. Plus she had to stay there alone while all the other ponies headed to quarantine elsewhere. We had them shipped in early fall. Dutta Corporation handled that shipment and worked it out so they all had adequate room in the containers.
Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
"Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"