The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 

View Poll Results: How much is that horsie in the window?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0-10k

    1 1.69%
  • 10-15k

    15 25.42%
  • 15-20k

    21 35.59%
  • 20-30k

    15 25.42%
  • 30-40k

    6 10.17%
  • 40+

    5 8.47%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb. 26, 2008
    Posts
    786

    Default How much is this horsie in the window?

    Brief description:
    Great minded WB gelding 17+h, comfortable gaits, 4-6yrs old.
    Good at new places, not spooky, no lunging needed; showed Training/1st level dressage, + some baby hunter stuff. Very kind and amateur friendly, packer on the course and can deal with rider mistakes - pretty much just ignores them. "cute" mover in hunter terms, 7/8 gaits in dressage terms, starting lateral work from 2nd level. LOVES jumping, not rushy, will go on your cue, or pick his own good distance, jumped with rider to 2'6", free jumped 4'6" easily. Sound, no health issues in history. No quirks, no bad habits.

    He is worth in your opinion "________" and if you care, please say why.
    A: 0-10k
    B: 10 -15K
    C: 15-20k
    D: 20-30k
    E: 30-40K
    F: 40k +



  2. #2
    Join Date
    May. 16, 2001
    Location
    Alaska. Not in an Igloo.
    Posts
    8,993

    Default

    How is his jumping form?
    Seig Heil Polo Shirt!



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr. 26, 2006
    Location
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,524

    Default

    And where are you logated geographically?
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb. 26, 2008
    Posts
    786

    Default

    Jumping form was described as "good to very good" by the trainer - knees even and together. I can pm you a link - if you care to evaluate further.



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar. 24, 2010
    Location
    Tucson
    Posts
    6,486

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mzm farm View Post
    Jumping form was described as "good to very good" by the trainer - knees even and together. I can pm you a link - if you care to evaluate further.
    I'm curious for the link.

    I'm saying $10-15k right now, but could be more depending on movement for either dressage or hunters, or less, too.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

    Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr. 26, 2006
    Location
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,524

    Default

    Side note: have you always been able to see the names of people and what they voted for in a poll? Seems to take away from the purpose of a poll, doesn't it?

    (I haven't voted yet, but I clicked on "show poll results" and saw what everyone else had voted for.)
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb. 17, 2010
    Location
    Purcellville, VA
    Posts
    1,224

    Default

    You just perfectly described a horse a client of mine and I are looking at. In fact, I had to check out your e-mail to see if you were the seller

    To compare, the horse we are looking at is priced at $15K which I think is very reasonable.
    Last edited by sar2008; Jan. 12, 2011 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Clarify...



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb. 19, 2009
    Posts
    4,994

    Default

    I said $20-$30K because when I was looking, horses that sounded like your guy were about this much (in my area). Majority of horses in the $15-20K range that sounded like this were older/smaller.



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb. 26, 2008
    Posts
    786

    Default

    Sar2008, I have not had any contact with you or your client, yet, sent you a pm. You are talking about another horse/seller!



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb. 17, 2010
    Location
    Purcellville, VA
    Posts
    1,224

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mzm farm View Post
    Sar2008, I have not had any contact with you or your client, yet, sent you a pm. You are talking about another horse/seller!
    I for sure am talking about someone else! Your horse sounds lovely though and ones like him are sure worth their weight in gold!



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec. 22, 2005
    Location
    Chicago. Again.
    Posts
    2,445

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExJumper View Post
    Side note: have you always been able to see the names of people and what they voted for in a poll? Seems to take away from the purpose of a poll, doesn't it?

    (I haven't voted yet, but I clicked on "show poll results" and saw what everyone else had voted for.)

    Um, no. Someone must have accidentally flipped a switch.


    Hmmm, there are some past polls that could be very interesting if they are all doing that!
    ExchangeHunterJumper.com
    Quality hunter, jumper, pony & equitation sale horses available worldwide, follow us on Facebook, Twitter or YouTube.



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr. 26, 2006
    Location
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dags View Post
    Hmmm, there are some past polls that could be very interesting if they are all doing that!
    That's kind of what I was thinking!
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov. 8, 2006
    Posts
    2,456

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dags View Post
    Um, no. Someone must have accidentally flipped a switch.


    Hmmm, there are some past polls that could be very interesting if they are all doing that!
    It's an option for the OP. When you make the post you can click "make results public" or something like that. The default is to not show who picked what. I like being able to see for discussions sake.



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun. 29, 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    701

    Default

    I think age matters, there is a difference between a 4-year-old and a 6-year-old, thus the range of "4-6 years old" is somewhat broad.
    Who is John Galt?



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug. 19, 2007
    Posts
    822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExJumper View Post
    Side note: have you always been able to see the names of people and what they voted for in a poll? Seems to take away from the purpose of a poll, doesn't it?

    (I haven't voted yet, but I clicked on "show poll results" and saw what everyone else had voted for.)
    Nice! I am now going to look at dirty OT day polls to see if it shows who's not gettin' any
    Please don't sabotash my conchess.



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul. 13, 2006
    Posts
    2,458

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haalter View Post
    Nice! I am now going to look at dirty OT day polls to see if it shows who's not gettin' any
    That and landscaping preferences could be a real eye opener



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr. 8, 2004
    Location
    The Great, uh, Green (?!?!) North!
    Posts
    3,876

    Default

    There are some elements that are worth good money to some, whereas others won't care as much and therefore understandably might not want to pay for it i.e. the fact he's cute for dressage and working on 2nd level lateral work (I'm one of the people who would pay the $$ for it! Without that I'd say he'd be closer to the $15k mark )
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb. 21, 2007
    Location
    Northern Va
    Posts
    640

    Default

    Depends on geographic location, who is marketing him, how he jumps, x-rays, and to some extent, conformation.

    Northeast, moderately well known trainer with good vetting - $35-40K +

    Southeast with same as above - $25-35K +

    No idea for the west coast, but guessing mid-west would be slightly cheaper. Add or subtract dollars for better jumper & more well known trainer vs. average jumper & unknown trainer. I am in Virginia and spent some time looking at horses this past summer before I got my girl, and for the most part, well bred, quiet, good moving 3 year olds not started or lightly started were in the $20-30K range, and it went up from there based on age and experience.
    "A canter is the cure for every evil."



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul. 13, 2006
    Posts
    2,458

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BABYGREENTB View Post
    Depends on geographic location, who is marketing him, how he jumps, x-rays, and to some extent, conformation.

    Northeast, moderately well known trainer with good vetting - $35-40K +

    Southeast with same as above - $25-35K +

    No idea for the west coast, but guessing mid-west would be slightly cheaper. Add or subtract dollars for better jumper & more well known trainer vs. average jumper & unknown trainer. I am in Virginia and spent some time looking at horses this past summer before I got my girl, and for the most part, well bred, quiet, good moving 3 year olds not started or lightly started were in the $20-30K range, and it went up from there based on age and experience.
    I am west coast (CA) and it would be $20-$30 here. If it has a show record with a trainer that is good it could be more $30-$45, if it has a proven good show record doing all you say it does with a ammy you could get probably $40-$55. Of course the bigger the trainers name the bigger the price. If the thing is just the most amazing animal on the planet (which from your description he sounds very nice but not earth shattering) people will pay into the 6 digits, but it better win every single time with anybody, including a monkey riding it.



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jun. 17, 2001
    Location
    down the road from bar.ka
    Posts
    32,225

    Default

    Well, with seller claims the only evidence and no show record or Dressage test scores and no pedigree information thus leading to "unknown"?

    Sorry, 10k or under in this market.

    If this was represented by a well known trainer in either Hunters or Dressage (sorry, 2'6" with a rider means nothing in the Jumper world and cows can free jump 5' from a standstill) it might get you to the 10/20k range but without pedigree info or any show record? Not around here.

    With the entire market except for the very top level, proven performers off about 40-50% on FINISHED horses with USEF show records? Anything over that is wishful thinking.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

    The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.



Similar Threads

  1. Pony in the Window
    By Heliodoro in forum Eventing
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: Sep. 23, 2011, 11:49 AM
  2. That's a WINDOW, not a DOOR!
    By Paddys Mom in forum Off Course
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: Sep. 10, 2011, 03:32 AM
  3. What kind of window do I need?
    By Melelio in forum Around The Farm
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Mar. 20, 2011, 11:44 PM
  4. How much is this horsie in the window?
    By mzm farm in forum Dressage
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: Jan. 14, 2011, 11:44 AM
  5. What's the window for IgG test?
    By Oakstable in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: May. 14, 2008, 05:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness