The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Why cant people be responsible???? WTD

I have had 2 horses dumped on me and I am so mad that I could spit nails.
    1st horse - Owner stopped paying board 4 months ago. Owner did not have farrier out for horse or get fall vaccines. I paid for farrier and vet to take care of horse. Told owner I was filing a lien for the back board and farrier/vet bills. Owner never returned any emails, texts, voicemails that I sent here regarding horse. Once owner gets my certified letter stating that I was filing a lien, she pays all of the past due amounts plus board for the next month. Owner assures me that she will be taking care of horse and was just going through some emotional bs. As of today, she is 12 days late on board for Jan and horse has not has his feet done in 11 weeks. She will not return any of my calls, texts, certified letter, or emails stating that I want the horse off of our property asap. Is it unprofessional for me to show up at her work and confront about this (she is a bartender).

2nd Horse - I was given a horse off the track. One of my boarders said she really liked horse and wanted to buy him (in August). She said that she couldnt afford to pay for his board until November and that she would pay for the horse himself after the 1st of the year. I really liked the boarder and was happy that the horse would be staying at my farm. I told her that the price of the horse would be the board for the 2 months that I held him for her as well as the cost for his shoes. Boarder paid board for the horse for Nov and Dec as well as all vet and farrier bills. She just informed me today that she can no longer afford to pay board for him or pay the $ we agreed upon for the purchase price. I never gave her a bill of sale or any other paper work because I was holding it until she paid for him. She is now saying that since she never "really" owned him, that he is now my responsibility.
    I now am stuck with 2 horses that I do not need or want.
    Happy Hour-TB
    Cowboy Casanova - Brandenburg
    Isadora - Palomino TB

I think it's unprofessional to show up at her work yes. Send her a certified letter stating you want the horse off your property in 30 days. If he isn't removed in 30 days, you will pursue legal action with the authorities to make sure he is removed.

As far as horse #2, it's your own fault you didn't get anything in writing. I certainly feel your pain, this has happened to me before and I learned my lesson of having contracts even with my dearest friends Unfortunatly, she is right. There is no paper trail or written contract, and he wasn't paid for therefore he still belongs to you.

At least you got paid for November and December and she isn't asking for reimbursement

If he's sound, stick him on the COTH Giveaways. I am sure you can find a good home for him quickly on here.

Absolutely agree with Sar2008. You can legally show up at place of employment per collection practices law, but professionally I think it would not help your situation. What about showing up at her residence at a time you know she will be there. Or, file the papers with small claims and have her served.

#2 - You never transferred ownership, and at least the boarder is being honest and upfront. Count your blessings.

Thanks for the advice guys! I have tried sending owner #1 certified letters but she never responds. I hate to have to get a lawyer to drag her into court cause it is just going to cost me more $$$. I guess though that the longer I have to pay to take care of him the more $$$ it is going to cost me anyway.
    I def learned my lesson with owner #2. Just makes me mad cause I had 2 other people that were interested in the horse back in Nov. but owner insisted that she would be buying him.
    Happy Hour-TB
    Isadora - Palomino TB

If your expenses fall under small claims, you can file without getting a lawyer involved. It takes a small amount of time and a trip to the courthouse. The sooner you take care of this problem, the faster the results will be.

I sent you a PM with the Maryland requirements for a liveryman's lien. You don't need a lawyer.

Quote Originally Posted by Buglet View Post
    She said that she couldnt afford to pay for his board until November and that she would pay for the horse himself after the 1st of the year.
    Well, if that didn't set off alarm bells... you should have sold the horse to someone with money in hand. Not someone who couldn't pay board until November, much less not being able to pay the purchase price at all!. How did you possibly think this could go well for you!!?

Quote Originally Posted by Buglet View Post
    Thanks for the advice guys! I have tried sending owner #1 certified letters but she never responds. I hate to have to get a lawyer to drag her into court cause it is just going to cost me more $$$. I guess though that the longer I have to pay to take care of him the more $$$ it is going to cost me anyway.
    I def learned my lesson with owner #2. Just makes me mad cause I had 2 other people that were interested in the horse back in Nov. but owner insisted that she would be buying him.
    send letter certified, RETURN RECEIPT REQUESTED and then her refusal of the letter will be admissible in small claims court. You can file your own law suit, some of the forms are on line in some counties, and only pay filing fees (which you will also sue to get back).

I feel sorry for you as you are a responsible person, but I also feel sorry for the unwanted horses.

Tie horse number one to her mailbox or a big tree in the yard.

Horse number two sounds like he's yours outright..if you don't want him dig a hole.

Tamara in TN
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

I'm looking for a horse. PM me if you are really trying to unload them.

Default horses

File in small claims. They will serve her. You show up and have your paperwork and info in order and your emotions. You might also call the humane folks since the farrier work on her horse is HER responsibility and have the do a report to add to your case and you get the horse trimmed. You have a written contract on her, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara in TN View Post
    Horse number two sounds like he's yours outright..if you don't want him dig a hole.

Tamara in TN
    What's with your negativity lately? She didn't say she wanted to kill the damn horse just that she didn't want it and could have sold it. She could give it away or try to sell it again. But kill it? Seriously, why did you even SAY that?

I think that was so out of line it isn't even funny!
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

Horse #1: Send her a letter (return receipt, and registered or certified, I don't remember which is the bigger PITA but go with that one) telling her the horse is removed by X date or you're filing a lien and selling it at public auction.

Horse #2: Nothing in writing and no cash changing hands for the horse = your horse. Put him up for sale if you don't want him.

Quote Originally Posted by Chardavej View Post
    What's with your negativity lately? She didn't say she wanted to kill the damn horse just that she didn't want it and could have sold it. She could give it away or try to sell it again. But kill it? Seriously, why did you even SAY that?

I think that was so out of line it isn't even funny!
    Chardavej- there are worse fates than death for a horse in these times. Look at the number of psycho hoarders that have tried and succeeded at getting horses from COTHers off the givaway boards.
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Catersun View Post
    Chardavej- there are worse fates than death for a horse in these times. Look at the number of psycho hoarders that have tried and succeeded at getting horses from COTHers off the givaway boards.

thank you.
    no one wants "gimme horses" anymore...
    the big romance is over with the "rescue turned starlet" esp. in the middle of one of the worst winters most of us can remember and a economic tidal wave crashed on the shore.

the horse was given to the OP (no?) and the OP tried to sell it to another,
    now that person (perhaps) realizes horses are expensive and has backed out

if the OP does not want the horse then kill it,quietly, in it's own pen, at it's own home, with some dignity

man up,cowboy up,be a big girl (whatever you want to say) but don't start a thread about people not being responsible for their horses.

dignified death is as much a human responsibility to livestock as their birth and care when they still had value.That some people running screaming from that is not my affair.

Tamara in TN
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

I think euthanization would be a last resort in this case, as rehoming them might be possible under the right circumstances. Seems a shame to let a horse be euthanized based solely on his/her "value". IMHO, that's the equivalent of saying it would be more humane to give lethal injections to homeless people!

The horse will have a home here until we find a new owner for him. Euthanizing him is not even a consideration. He is a nice horse with no issues so if he just has to sit out in the field and get fat then that is fine. We put him up for sale last night, so hopefully he will get a new owner. I will make sure to do all of my paperwork this time.
    Happy Hour-TB
    Isadora - Palomino TB

Quote Originally Posted by Catersun View Post
    Believe me, I would be the first one to not argue that. I think a humane death at home is much better than a long ride to Mexico or starving in someones back pasture. But the OP didn't say she was going to starve the horse or sell him to a kill buyer, just venting about other people. I think saying "KILL IT! KILL IT!" is a little off the wall at this time. Maybe later, but now? No.

When you drop the certified letter on Boarder for horse #1, also send a letter by regular mail. That way you can use the refused letter as evidence that notice was sent (and refused) but also testify that alternate notice was sent and it will be presumed that Boarder received it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara in TN View Post

if the OP does not want the horse then kill it,quietly, in it's own pen, at it's own home, with some dignity

man up,cowboy up,be a big girl (whatever you want to say) but don't start a thread about people not being responsible for their horses.
    But why kill this horse because someone backed out of the sale? It's not a crippled old horse, it's a broke horse, worth something to someone. To just say KILL IT is just a little too soon right now. (shakes head) euthanasia is NOT needed in every case where a seller backs out of a sale. All of my horses I sold in the past I would have had to put down since the first buyers usually said yes then no. Glad I didn't kill them, they are all in good homes now.