The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Exclamation Blanket Repairs - DE/MD

Any suggestions for someone to do blanket repairs fairly quickly? The person I was using for the last couple of years has quit the business (again). I have a Houdini who also gets his buddies to help him pull/tug on his blankets. If they weren't my own horses, it would be hilarious

I am not close enough to anyone, so am willing to ship within a reasonable distance if I can get it back within a week.

Thanks for your help!

Have you tried 2 Old Mares blanket service in Milton? I just used them on the recommendation of a friend and was very happy. I want to say that repairs ran from $8-12, but they were very reasonable and quick. 856-3189

I was working down your way and saw a sign outside of the Pottery Emporium in Selbyville for Sonador Leather - apparently they do all sorts of tack repairs. I don't know anything about them but it might be worth a phone call. If you do know anything about them or if you do try them, let me know. I have a bunch of stuff that needs to be repaired and it would be great if I could get it done locally.

Failing all else, fishing line is a good quick, temporary fix. Dental floss didn't work so well for me. I glued first with superglue and then sewed through. On the worst tear, I used a scrap from an old blanket underneath the tear, then glued the torn flaps to it and sewed it like crazy. Looked like crap but held and was waterproof.

Thanks MO.

Know about 2 Old Mares - no desire to use them.

Haven't needed to use Sonador Leather (yet), but see their ads in the "Horse Force" magazine. Usually when I need leather repair - the item is well beyond it's useful life so it gets circular-filed. LOL!

I know a great lady in Fair Hill- PM me if you want her number!
    Be a part of the solution~ Adopt a thoroughbred!
    MidAtlanticHorseRescue.org

This gal is fantastic, very professional and reasonable...
    You can mail to her and she will mail back.
    www.horseblanketrepair.com
    One thing you can give and still keep is your word.

Brenda Smith at Smith's Tack Shop in Port Penn.

http://www.smithstackshop.com/

For those that remember Mr. Smith (Smitty) from long ago, it's the same shop. The current owners are his grandson and grand daughter-in-law.

I'd like that number, can I email you, my PM box is full and I have at least one of your email addresses?

Quote Originally Posted by BeverlyAStrauss View Post
    I know a great lady in Fair Hill- PM me if you want her number!

Oh my gosh, I remember Smitty, bought my first set of clippers from him. Really nice guy. He had a little basket in his shop for leadline babies. We talked about saddles, very interesting man. I'm sure he forgot more than I'll ever know.

Quote Originally Posted by mswillie View Post
    Brenda Smith at Smith's Tack Shop in Port Penn.

http://www.smithstackshop.com/

For those that remember Mr. Smith (Smitty) from long ago, it's the same shop. The current owners are his grandson and grand daughter-in-law.

The Blanket Lady http://theblanketladyllc.net/index.html
    I think this is Chester County, PA. Says she picks up for free.

Quote Originally Posted by suniday View Post
    Any suggestions for someone to do blanket repairs fairly quickly? The person I was using for the last couple of years has quit the business (again). I have a Houdini who also gets his buddies to help him pull/tug on his blankets. If they weren't my own horses, it would be hilarious

I am not close enough to anyone, so am willing to ship within a reasonable distance if I can get it back within a week.

Thanks for your help!

Thanks so much for all of your suggestions.

He was turned out yesterday with his stable blanket and a turnout sheet over top. He came in with a huge rip in the turnout sheet. This guy is destructive! DH said he saw each of his pasture buddies at various times of the day helping him pull on his clothes.

I think I'm going to order an extra T/O blanket and sheet NOW, too.

Exclamation View from the other side of the sewing machine

As one who does blanket repairs-PLEASE-bring/send them in clean?
    Nothing worse than stuffing a scuzzy blanket through your machine to sour your day. A good commercial sewing machine costs thousands of dollars...dirty blankets cause undue wear & tear on it (and the operator) not to mention operator has to clean it out after use.
    And NO-just shaking the worst of the shit & shavings off does Not make it clean
    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...pscc2a5330.jpg

I take all of mine to Bartville- they clean and repair- it's always done well and inexpensively. Sometimes they aren't the quickest though
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

I have a friend who's a leatherworker who does a great job fixing blankets in a pinch.

Brett Smith in Berlin, MD.

If you ever want any custom leather anything, he's the guy to see. His work is gorgeous!
    Friend of bar.ka!
    Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    GM quote of the day, regarding the correct way to do things:
    "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by macmtn View Post
    As one who does blanket repairs-PLEASE-bring/send them in clean?
    Nothing worse than stuffing a scuzzy blanket through your machine to sour your day. A good commercial sewing machine costs thousands of dollars...dirty blankets cause undue wear & tear on it (and the operator) not to mention operator has to clean it out after use.
    And NO-just shaking the worst of the shit & shavings off does Not make it clean
    Actually, when I make my inquiry to the shops that have been recommended - I plan to ask if they can clean it first as I understand your extremely valid point. I am also not equipped to wash my own blankets nor do I wish to.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

The gal that I gave you does wash them first and then repair. Of course she charges but is very reasonable and prompt.
    Be a part of the solution~ Adopt a thoroughbred!
    MidAtlanticHorseRescue.org