The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What did you do during Ice Storm..or I was DANGEROUS! LOL

OK so I spent yesterday finally really looking at cost of indoor/feasibility GULP! Cost is NOT cheap, so definitely looking at a SMALL one 55 or 65' wide and 120 or 140' long. Not sure if I can swing it, would HAVE to go up on board/lessons. What would you guys say a person MIGHT be willing to pay "extra" for having an indoor? ALtho we are in eastern NC the winters are jsut becoming ridiculous and I lose SO much time to weather in terms of lessons, riding and showing prospective buyers horses! All of my lessons are private, so not like I will have a big group. And for lots of jumping can use the nice, big outdoor a lot of the time. This is more for use in inclement weather, or night riding etc. I REALLY want to do this, but I have to be able to cover the cost, as we are on a shoestring as it is!

In my particular area (which is cheaper for MA but MA in general is expensive) for a full-care boarding barn with no indoor you're looking at paying around $350/$400 a month. (Give or take a little bit from that figure depending on how nice the rest of the farm is, turnout situations, trainers, etc.)

WITH an indoor, full-care, you're looking at paying around $600. $700 or $800 if the facility is particularly nice. (And this is just for full board, not for training or anything.)

So....check around your area, and see if raising your prices to what other people with indoors are charging is enough to cover the cost of actually putting one up, with the understanding that it won't be paid off within the first year or two....
    Well isn't this dandy?

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    In my particular area (which is cheaper for MA but MA in general is expensive) for a full-care boarding barn with no indoor you're looking at paying around $350/$400 a month. (Give or take a little bit from that figure depending on how nice the rest of the farm is, turnout situations, trainers, etc.)

WITH an indoor, full-care, you're looking at paying around $600. $700 or $800 if the facility is particularly nice. (And this is just for full board, not for training or anything.)

So....check around your area, and see if raising your prices to what other people with indoors are charging is enough to cover the cost of actually putting one up, with the understanding that it won't be paid off within the first year or two....
    Am looking at an 8 year lease with $100 buyout at end of lease. There ARE no indoors in our immediate area, there are indoors in Raleigh, but their prices aren't comparable to here. The only "local" indoor is a reining horse trainer, and I don't think he "boards" as he is a well known international reining trainer, just takes horses on training, so really hard to compare that. Our full board now is $325 with a 250 x 140 outdoor sand arena. WE aren't "fancy" but clean, safe, keepfacility well maintained and take good care of the horses

Rock bottom board price in southern MD for any facility with an indoor is $475, and that place is pretty run down, with very poor turnout, but they give good care and lessons are included with board. Its a lesson mill, but they've been around forever and the head trainer is excellent. The average here is closer to $550.

I would think in your area, you should be able to chage at least an additional $100/mo for the addition of the indoor.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Trevelyan96 View Post
    Rock bottom board price in southern MD for any facility with an indoor is $475, and that place is pretty run down, with very poor turnout, but they give good care and lessons are included with board. Its a lesson mill, but they've been around forever and the head trainer is excellent. The average here is closer to $550.

I would think in your area, you should be able to chage at least an additional $100/mo for the addition of the indoor.
    That is about what I was figuring. I think an indoor would bring me more business. have already had a couple of people that haul to me for lessons say they would possibly move and board here if I had an indoor. I think everyone in this area has really been impacted by the bad winters we have been having.

One way to find a lower cost arena if you are considering a pole building type structure is to buy used. As an area ages and needs change, there sometimes is a business or farm which no longer needs the building they erected and used previously. If the building is in good shape (and they generally are barring natural disasters), it can be taken down and moved and then reconstructed. We considered that option but didn't want to wait until a nice indoor of the desired dimensions came on the area market. Our builder said it costs about the same to take down as to put up; hauling for building that size is not really significant (compared to purchase price). I saw one very nice building in my area sell at auction when the land was being redeveloped for $10,000. And it was already a horse riding arena so had many of the desired additions already. At that time it cost another $10K to take down and reconstruct; another $5-$10K if all new tin is desired. Cheaper than new. It is possible to paint the tin and make it look much nicer if the building is rusty or not the desirable color.
    Robin from Dancing Horse Hill
    Elmwood, Wisconsin

The horse I lease is boarded in Durham with an indoor. Not sure the exact size but its not as long as a full sized dressage arena. So probably about the size you are looking at. Anyways, her board is $500 a month. So maybe that will give you an idea of what you could charge.

The NC winters are getting worse, so I can understand why you are thinking of getting an indoor.

Default I feel the weather is changing too

I thought it was global WARMING

shawnee-there are several covered arenas in the Tryon area, I can think of 2 at boarding barns. The majority of them are in back yards-really!

One is at a high end hunter barn, the other dressage and trail riding. Both barns have waiting lists. I could find out what they charge for board if that will help.

Another plus. We lived in Aberdeen for years and had a 100x200 arena. Yes it's good in the winter, but just as good to keep the hot summer sun off your head!! Make sure you plan on several big doors to allow good ventilation in the summer!! I'm sure this improvement to your property will be a GREAT improvement to your quality of life and for your horse business.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

I wouldn't board at a place without an indoor, but I'm in Maine, not the mid-Atlantic. That being said, board rates in my area for any kind of barn with an indoor are $600+. Another location I lived where the housing prices are generally lower than my current area got an average of $550, so not very different.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

Try and build as wide as you can, and as long as you can...but you can always add length.
    Nothing worse than building too narrow, and wishing you could have gone wider.
    For example, (not that I could afford it) but a 60' wide arena would be not something I could use, with my drafts. Check out the prices on widths, I think its over 80' wide that costs sky rocket.

Plus, you really don't need sides, just something overhead for both summer and winter weather protection.
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

I've always loved your farm pix! ...
    But I will second the 'make it bigger if you can' input. First spot I boarded our guy at when I got him as a three year old had a very small indoor. Yes...it was very handy (!) in the dead of winter with a youngster to put under saddle. But I can say, that I wouldn't (other than that situation) now pay 'extra for an 'indoor' that small....
    It became almost impossible for real undersaddle 'work' and certainly was too small to 'share' riding with, etc...
    I think it can be a great 'personal riding use' asset, or maybe a 'beginner lessons walk trot' kinda space, but in raising rates of boarders to come, I think if you're going to comp prices of other facilities you'll need to compare indoor arena sizes as well.

Best of luck though!
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

WEll the width REALLY drives up the price. And, since we have a huge outdoor, and can use that most of the time I do not NEED a huge indoor. But just to go from 65 to 75 wide is double on the materials cost! Not worth it to me! All I need is something to do a flatwork lessons, or makbe jump a few fence, small grid at most. Also the area that I want to put it in is limited in how big I can go there. Altho I have 20 acres, I want it easily accessible to the barn, and on a relatively falt piece of ground so less to do in terms of site prep. I have seen some "used" buildings for sale, BUT they have stell beams and the cost to take down, transport and reeerect honestly doesn't pay. I am planning to go with Clearspan building, they have an 8 yr lease option that is the best bet and helps on taxes as well!

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

A friend of mine built an outdoor arena with a roof. She was extremely pleased, although it doesn't have heat (of course). Once you factor in the heating and lights, cost of operation goes up exponentially. She always talked about putting walls on the thing (it was regulation dressage size), but never quite got around to it after thinking about the added utilities.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Default Covered arena?

Have you looked into the cost difference of a covered arena vs a full indoor? I don't know how much you'd save, but it might be worth checking out.

My barn in Wake Forest, NC has a covered and it's great! It's the size of a standard dressage arena and works well. It starts to get tight with more then two horses at one time, but it's doable if everyone is respectful. Even with the weather that we've had this winter, I've been able to ride and have never wished for a full indoor. It was really helpful last summer too since we had such high temps, it's nice to always ride in the shade.

For what it's worth, I pay $580 for full board, which includes private TO.

This is the first time I've boarded at a barn with a covered and when you're use to doing without, it's such a treat.

Good luck!

I know of two barns in eastern Raleigh with covered/indoors....one charges 585.00 the other 575.00. If that helps you.

The only ones that get the big bucks with the indoors in this area are MacNairs (and from what I hear, they don't have many boarders these days due to high prices), Yumarrawee (mispelled) and Buckhorn....all three of those places are 700 plus. But, most people aren't in a position to shell out that type of money for board these days.

I think going up 50-75.00 on your current board fee is fair for a nice indoor with good footing.

Quote Originally Posted by jmbnsyd View Post
    Have you looked into the cost difference of a covered arena vs a full indoor? I don't know how much you'd save, but it might be worth checking out.

My barn in Wake Forest, NC has a covered and it's great! It's the size of a standard dressage arena and works well. It starts to get tight with more then two horses at one time, but it's doable if everyone is respectful. Even with the weather that we've had this winter, I've been able to ride and have never wished for a full indoor. It was really helpful last summer too since we had such high temps, it's nice to always ride in the shade.

For what it's worth, I pay $580 for full board, which includes private TO.

This is the first time I've boarded at a barn with a covered and when you're use to doing without, it's such a treat.

Good luck!
    You must be at the barn I thought was 585.00. Oh, many years ago when Britt Farms was up and running, we had a beautiful indoor arena in the middle of the barn with OVERHEAD HEATERS!!!!!! That facility was to die for. Back in the good ole days of 1996, that was around 450-500 per month. Shame that facility is now torn down and a bunch of houses.

Check on your projected property taxes to see how that is going to affect your bottom line (and I see new snow removal equipment in the upcoming budget!). Something to keep in mind when/if you have to adjust board later, find out (if you aren't already aware) how the town calculates the yearly taxes on new structures. I'm not saying that the boarders should pick up all the slack but accounting for some percentage of that money will protect you from blindsided later.

One of the local barns rents out his indoor to riders who want to haul in and hack around for an hour when it's to cold to ride outside. However, that additional income can come with more headaches than it's worth.

Yes I considered possibly renting "time" in the indoor. Probably ONLY to people I know well and can work around my scheduled lessons. But we are small, not a LOT of people riding at one given time so not a HUGE issue most of the time. Occasionally on a really pretty weekend day we will have 6 or 7 rider out at once in our large outdoor. Since about 1/2 of those are haul-ins it wouldn't be happening often in inclement weather! If I go with a Clearspan building, and it is leased it "technically" is not a "permanent" structure so affects taxes much less in this area. Also we are not in a "town" but a county so taxes are lower anyways. Still researching this potential project.