The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default He is taller in the snow LOL

hehehe the first day of the snow, it was soft and you sank in, hard to walk, real hard. So, Rudy the Basset hound, old man, let me break trail. He wasnt doing that stuff. Now, its hard as a rock and he can walk on top. Talk about a happy dude. He has grown six inches and can now pee higher. hahahaha he is thrilled to death now about his acquired stature. And that will teach them Rotties next door.
    Our horses are not seen as the old and disabled they may have become, but rather as the mighty steeds they once believed themselves to be.

Sunkissed Acres Rescue and Retirement

I can almost see Ole' Rudy smiling!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Smart boy, letting you break trail. I have a "vertically challenged" corgi. He is fine in snow, as long as it is fluffy he doesn't care how deep, he just plows right thru. HATES it when ice on top is not strong and he breaks thru and gets stuck. Then he follows me and waits for me to stomp out a large spot for him to do his business. Blasted dog is impervious to cold. This morning it was -4 outside, stiff wind, he was bounding through the drifts like a young puppy (he's nine) and then he just finds a nice place and lies down to survey his kingdom. It was pretty, almost full moon, silvery light on glistening snow, but ARRRGGH!!! COLD!!!!! I do not have fur.
    Just remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, only backwards and in high heels.

Quote Originally Posted by snkstacres View Post
    hehehe the first day of the snow, it was soft and you sank in, hard to walk, real hard. So, Rudy the Basset hound, old man, let me break trail. He wasnt doing that stuff. Now, its hard as a rock and he can walk on top. Talk about a happy dude. He has grown six inches and can now pee higher. hahahaha he is thrilled to death now about his acquired stature. And that will teach them Rotties next door.
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

George the Basset (and Abbie his pekeapoo friend) live in our insulated building about 10' from the house. They have hay and shaving stuffed houses, including big dog pillows. I just told a friend this morning I'm starting a new weather station.
    1. I open the gate, open their door, call to them, no one budges. It will be a COLD, nasty day.
    2. I open the gate, open their door, go back outside the fence, they appear in the doorway. It will be a cold day.
    3. I open the gate, Georgie's face appears at the window, I open their door and they come bounding out. It will be a nice day.

I bought Georgie a weatherbeeta coat/blanket. It has been removed from his body every morning. Nothing has been undone.
    They both like to stand on a container that has frozen shavings/ice in it.

I don't worry about them too much any more.

They have us all figured out, don't they?
    Last edited by ManyDogs; Jan. 27, 2011 at 08:05 AM. Reason: dismal sentence structure

I had a dog in NM when I was there. Brought her up her with me, but one winter we had 2 storms in a row with about 3' of snow. Very unusual. A bunch of us went out cross country skiing in the canyon out behind the housing area. Domino (our best guess was an Airdale/Lab cross) climbed paw over paw (my Commando pup!) over the chain link fence and followed out out skiing. Well, after a while, I started to get really tired and was having trouble keeping up. I called to a friend ahead of me and told him I was having trouble keeping up. He stopped, turned around, and then just about fell off his skis he was laughing so hard. I asked what was so funny. He told me to look behind me. Domino was no fool! She was sitting on my skis, stowing away for the ride and letting me do all the work!!!
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!