The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Registry options for unpapered mare..help!

There are too many registries out there for me to learn all the rules and requirements, so I was hoping I could lean on you guys a little to help me wade through everything!

Mare, unregistered, unpapered, not thoroughbred. She is 3/4 TB and 1/4 ID. No way I know of getting DNA samples of her sire, though he was JC registered so not sure if there is an option there, but her dam is still alive so I can get DNA there.

I know I can go ISR or AWA, but which would be the best option for me to get her registered? I have and will be breeding to licensed and registered stallions, though no interest in sticking to one particular registry or another (aka not breeding specifically hannoverian for example).

What are the regulations on inspections of these mares? I am nervous to get her inspected as, though she has produced very nice foals, she isn't flashy like many of the warmblood horses are and isn't a spectacular mover... and lets be honest, I see some of your mares and she is not a fancy warmblood!! What she is is sweet, a proven performance mare, a very nice jumper, good feet, straight legs, big shoulder, I know she has great eventing bloodlines, even if no one else but me and her breeder do but is a bit course all over being part ID. She was a wonderful eventer and is a spectacular mother.

How harsh are they? is it even worth presenting? I don't want to be embarrassed and be laughed out of the inspections, whichever option I pick.

But back to the original question as well, what other registries are available and, in everyone immense experience, which would be the best option?

I don't know a ton about registries, but can you try and get her registered ISH and start from there?

I got my JC registered TB mare inspected and approved with ISR/Old NA. Since she had papers...she was put in the main mare book for Old NA.

It was very easy. She's a nice mare but not perfect. Very good mover and top jump and also a proven performance mare.

Her filly was high score foal at the inspection and looks to be a very nice athlete.

Anyway...I found them very easy to deal with. (my filly is by a German Hano. but is now branded Old NA).

I will probably be going to them with my new mare....she is Dutch/TB and just has KWPN Reg B papers.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

any other experiences with ISR/old? My mare would be in the pre mare book, but it's something, documentation for the foal at least, I just don't want to get laughed out of the ring!

Just to clarify--you won't be able to "register" your mare with ISR. You'd just be able to get her approved for breeding with ISR. You are right in that she is eligible for the pre mare book only. No one will laugh at you!

I thought there were lower books for unregistered mares with RPSI, too.

Can you register ISR as well as trakehner? Am I right in thinking the Trakehners wont accept mares that aren't TB, angle/arab or already registered trakehner? Trying to sort out my best option there.

Talking Options for Registeriing Mare

Is your mare's dam registered and inspected? If you know the dam's name you can perhaps get the mare registered with IDHSNA. The sire's DNA may already be on record if he has other registered foals.

Quote Originally Posted by TSHEventing View Post
    There are too many registries out there for me to learn all the rules and requirements, so I was hoping I could lean on you guys a little to help me wade through everything!

Mare, unregistered, unpapered, not thoroughbred. She is 3/4 TB and 1/4 ID. No way I know of getting DNA samples of her sire, though he was JC registered so not sure if there is an option there, but her dam is still alive so I can get DNA there.

I know I can go ISR or AWA, but which would be the best option for me to get her registered? I have and will be breeding to licensed and registered stallions, though no interest in sticking to one particular registry or another (aka not breeding specifically hannoverian for example).

What are the regulations on inspections of these mares? I am nervous to get her inspected as, though she has produced very nice foals, she isn't flashy like many of the warmblood horses are and isn't a spectacular mover... and lets be honest, I see some of your mares and she is not a fancy warmblood!! What she is is sweet, a proven performance mare, a very nice jumper, good feet, straight legs, big shoulder, I know she has great eventing bloodlines, even if no one else but me and her breeder do but is a bit course all over being part ID. She was a wonderful eventer and is a spectacular mother.

How harsh are they? is it even worth presenting? I don't want to be embarrassed and be laughed out of the inspections, whichever option I pick.

But back to the original question as well, what other registries are available and, in everyone immense experience, which would be the best option?

I highly doubt your mare could be inspected by the ATA. Her foal may be able to registered part-Trakehner, though. I'm not really familiar with the registry. There are some Trakehner folks who post here who can chime in.

ISR/Old, RPSI, and BWP I think will take unregistered mares into some book or other.

ATA, Oldenburg, Hanoverian, Holsteiner, etc. will not.

For IDSHNA registration the dam of your mare would have to be registered, inspected and approved.

AWR will apparently take unpapered mares (with no draft blood) if they are also performance tested. AWS will inspect mares of any breeding.

If you breed her to an registered Trak stallion, the foals are eligible for inclusion at least in the "appendix" registry, and fillies would then be inspectable by some other registries.

Jennifer

Oldenburg (GOV) does sometimes take unregistered mares into its lowest mare book, if the mare is of good sport horse type and quality. Their foals by Oldenburg-approved stallions are eligible for regular registration papers - dam's side of the foal's pedigree typically reflects just the dam's name and studbook assignment (rest of her pedigree will be blank). Foals from these mares are eligible for Foal of Distinction awards, but not Premium foal awards, colts are not eligible for stallion status, and it will take 4 generations for filly descendants to move up through the books to MMB status.

Quote Originally Posted by Callaway View Post
    Just to clarify--you won't be able to "register" your mare with ISR. You'd just be able to get her approved for breeding with ISR. You are right in that she is eligible for the pre mare book only. No one will laugh at you!
    No one will laugh at you for sure! The ISR.OldNA are extremely positive and encouraging, plus they have a very good selection of nice stallions, so your future breeding choices are not as limited.
    A FINE ROMANCE - JC Reg Thoroughbred - GOLD Premium CSHA - ISR/OLDNA Approved
    CSHA Brickenden Stallion Award Winner - for Performance offspring.
    Please visit A Fine Romance on FB!