The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Why is it so hard to find a good groom?

I've been looking for a part time groom. Have ads posted locally, with my phone number and email.

One girl came for an interview last night- she chewed gum the whole time, called Rue an 'ugly brute' and said she hated dogs. (I have four.)

Just checked my email and found this little gem:

'Hi,

I see you are looking for a groom. I am a twenty year old girl who loves horses. I will ride your horses. I will love your horses. I do not know how to ride, but you will teach me and we will be besties! I want £10 per hour.'

It rambles on in the same vein for another two paragraphs. Why is it so hard to find good staff?
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Because it is hard work for relatively low pay. Even in these days of scarce jobs etc not many people want to swelter in the summer, freeze in the winter, and get small wages and no benefits. NOT justifying just saying. I am a groomer and to try to find a reliable, hard working, polite bather brusher is extremely difficult for very similar reasons.

Like tradewind said, it's hard work for not a lot of money and lets face it not the most glamorous job in the horse world.

As to that 'gem' Wow, I guess they took that whole 'confidence is key' thing a little too far. Oh my!
    Owned by a Paint/TB and an OTTB.
    RIP Scoutin' For Trouble ~ 2011 at 10
    RIP Tasha's Last Tango ~ 2010 at ~23
    RIP In Sha' Allah ~ 2009 too young at 5

My daughter is looking right now. But, 6 days a week, 7 am to 5 pm, for minimum wage... and they expect weekends at shows as well... nope!

No benefits, no tax withheld. Her last summer job was great, paid more than minimum wage, was totally above the table, was given a raise after 6 weeks... but it is a summer job...

I was about to post the same thing . Terrible pay, and low appreciation.

This is what my horse asks ALL THE TIME.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

I've been the bather/brusher and loved it! Had the place not changed hands I would have stayed. Decent pay, switched off weekends, and you could opt out of showing. (I always went.) My only complaint was the damn Chinchilla Persians! OI! I'd rather handle a vicious stallion than just one of those beasties.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

Oh my... That is a gem... And doesn't give one a good impression either.

I was going to post about the low pay/little appreciation too...

The person that showed up and chewed gum and told she didn't like dogs... What was she thinking? What a bad impression to give a possible employer.

Ah, but here's what I'm offering:

Live in, bills paid (except phone & food),
    Board for one horse, (groom to pay vet/farrier/feed bills, bedding and hay supplied)
    Dog allowed,
    Decent wage,
    Lots of riding,
    Two easy horses to look after,
    Flexible hours.

That doesn't sound so bad, does it?

(Been there, done that as a groom. I know it's hard work, which is why I'd offer the person decent compensation.)

Ooh, yes. I'd never show up for a job interview and then insult the interviewer.

Make it three horses and my herd and I'll move in!
    Owned by a Paint/TB and an OTTB.
    RIP Scoutin' For Trouble ~ 2011 at 10
    RIP Tasha's Last Tango ~ 2010 at ~23
    RIP In Sha' Allah ~ 2009 too young at 5

Holy Cow... Sounds like a dream job for someone looking for no rent or board.

I'm surprised that no one that isn't a rude person who doesn't like dogs or someone who has absolutely no experienced hasn't jumped at the opportunity.

I hope someone turns up soon...

Low pay..huge responsibility! I am a groom, with a lot of age on me (getting little long in the tooth for these cold winters) and care for each horse like its my own. But I love it, I just wish it paid better! I tend to get tromped, shoved, muscle sore and would love to lay in bed an extra hour, but the horses want breakfast, turnout, clean beds and they NEVER take a holiday day..not even christmas!
    Your village is calling. Apparently their idiot is missing!

Hire me!! I'll move across the pond and bring the fat Corgi with me.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

10 or 15 years ago I would move to your side of the pond for that! Wow!

Maybe you need to advertise a bit differently? How clear is your ad? I hire interns several times a year and have found that listing the responsibilities excessively in the ad has helped weed out the nutty ones.

If you want skilled work you had better be prepared to pay skilled price.

What do you pay to get your car detailed? It is the same job your bennies do sound good for a college student though.

Quote Originally Posted by jumpsnake View Post
    10 or 15 years ago I would move to your side of the pond for that! Wow!

Maybe you need to advertise a bit differently? How clear is your ad? I hire interns several times a year and have found that listing the responsibilities excessively in the ad has helped weed out the nutty ones.
    I'm planning to give it the rest of the week, then step up my advertising if I need to. I hire fairly often in my job, so writing a good ad isn't a problem.

So utilities are covered. They pay for phone (or mobile), food, their own vehicle if they have one, taxes, vet, farrier, feed, anything else that comes up for the horse . . . how much do they have left at the end of the day? Was 10/hour remotely in the ballpark? How many hours a week are they expected to work?

Quote Originally Posted by kookicat View Post
    I've been looking for a part time groom. Have ads posted locally, with my phone number and email.

One girl came for an interview last night- she chewed gum the whole time, called Rue an 'ugly brute' and said she hated dogs. (I have four.)

Just checked my email and found this little gem:

'Hi,

I see you are looking for a groom. I am a twenty year old girl who loves horses. I will ride your horses. I will love your horses. I do not know how to ride, but you will teach me and we will be besties! I want £10 per hour.'

It rambles on in the same vein for another two paragraphs. Why is it so hard to find good staff?

That is hilarious! I'd be so tempted to reply something like "OMG, YES, that is awesome, I'm so excited to have a new bestest friend and I love you already!" and on and on and on.

Kooki, you address is what? Don't be surprised if I show up on your doorstep!

The pursuit of money is lost on some of us who would love to LOVE our occupations and be comfortable, not fat, but comfortable. IMHO, there is no substitute for satisfaction as we show up and perform in our employment, and all is well with the world.

I hope you find that person.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    So utilities are covered. They pay for phone (or mobile), food, their own vehicle if they have one, taxes, vet, farrier, feed, anything else that comes up for the horse . . . how much do they have left at the end of the day? Was 10/hour remotely in the ballpark? How many hours a week are they expected to work?
    And when /if they get injured at work what insurance covers them and where do they get to live when you have to give them the boot cause they can no longer do the work...

I loved being a groom. I was a good groom. I worked at a fabulous farm where we got p[aid well, had great perks, and had great insurance. Those are rare! There is no future in it for anyone who wants more than just to survive.