The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Lesson plan that is easy on the horse?

It is cold this week. Most of my horses (lesson and boarders) live outside. I would still like to teach, so need a lesson plan that won't get the horse's too sweaty. Any ideas? I was thinking no stirrup work, but there is likely to be snow falling from the roof for the next while, so that may be a little risky.

Default Lateral work

I am not sure how advanced your students/horses are, but teaching lateral work at the walk seems to take up time. Leg yielding, turn on the haunches, shoulder in stuff....all at the walk.

If they get that, they can do it at a trot down the long side, walk the shorts...working on transitions as well.

Lots of good pole exercises in Linda Allen's book. Working on perfecting transitions and corners. Turns on the forehand, haunches, leg yields, shoulder-in...all can be done at the walk.

DelMarCa Guest

While teaching in New Jersey I had the same dilemma considering i'm from California where we have the ability to work year round, a different lesson schedule was needed. My more advanced students did no stirrup work, my younger students who I really just needed to keep occupied would either work on pole exercises at the walk and trot as well as lateral work, turning on the haunches etc ...

Try teaching them to feel when the hind leg is off the ground at the walk. Surprisingly difficult to feel correctly.

You may find you have to tell them when the hind foot leaves the ground. I like to say "now" when the foot comes off the ground, that helps a lot. Make the rider say "now" when they think the leg of choice has left the ground, they'll be wrong almost the entire lesson! But once they get it, all sorts of things become possible.