The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Transplant GN Hitch?

I'm about to go truck shopping. When I get the new one, is it worthwhile to transplant the GN hitch and brake controller from my old one to the new one, or should I start fresh?

My current truck is old but not decrepit. It's at that age where things are wearing out one after the other at unexpected times. I don't feel comfortable towing with it any more, so I doubt anyone would want to buy it as a tow vehicle.

What kind? If its a Prodigy and B&W turnover I would. Otherwise let 'em go, its time for an upgrade anyway.
    Disclaimer;
    Nearly all of what I post will be controversial to someone. Believe nothing you read on a chat room, research for yourself and LEARN.
    Not in the 42% or the 96%

Guess it would depend in the equipment in the truck. How old, how well used are they.

If used a lot, the controller boxes will need replacing every 4-5 years. In hard weather conditions, snow, salty roads, heavy rain, they may need replacing more often. I will say the newer boxes have improved greatly! We just put a new one on last summer, lots easier to use, digitial, very adjustable for changes in weight of loaded trailers. So if your box is a couple years old, I would choose to get a new one instead of moving it. Really not that expensive, so moving box would cost about as much as buying a new one and installing it.

How much work to take out the hitch and put in new truck? Will it leave a hole in the floor? Hole might be less appealing to buyers. A well installed hitch can take time, at the hourly rates of trailer place, to remove and reinstall. Any bolts probably should be replaced for safety. Take a close look at the old hitch, is is worn at all? Newer gooseneck hitches could be a better choice because bed of truck is more usable with ball out of the way.

We had a fold down ball, was very handy on our truck. We used the truck for a lot of other things, needed the bed clear for loading.

I did remove the frame hitch from my trucks, moved to the next truck. Very expensive hitch when purchased, built to fit my needs, worth the cost to move it. They also checked it for rust, cracking, before reinstalling. I think we moved it 4 times, over 15 years. I let both gooseneck and frame hitch go with the last truck, because the new pulling truck came with hitches installed. Bigger and better, NEWER than the old ones. Hitches have a finite life, then you really are not saving money anymore. So you need to let them go and buy new equipment. SAFER for you and horses behind the truck.

If you're going to buy a new truck I'd go with a new hitch. I'd bet money that the labor involved in removing the old hitch and moving it over will eat up any savings you'd have.

The controller is another issue. If you buy a "towing package" on a lot of new trucks you'll get an "integrated towing controller" as part of the package. It may not be a sophisticated as the after market products but it will do the job.

Again, if I were buying a new truck I'd go with a new controller (for the reasons stated for buying a new truck ).

G.

I usually get the dealer to have a new hitch installed for me prior to pick up...and get them to include it in the purchase price

Thanks for the input. It is a Draw Tite hitch, and yes, the bolts for the rails go through the bed. I could leave the rails, and take the top part (worth $250 or more). It has seen only light use, and is in very good condition. I'm not a fan of the hidden hitches, not here in the land of ice and snow.

I guess I'll have to see if the new vehicle comes with a brake controller. I'm OK with leaving the old one behind and getting a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by draftdriver View Post
    Thanks for the input. It is a Draw Tite hitch, and yes, the bolts for the rails go through the bed. I could leave the rails, and take the top part (worth $250 or more). It has seen only light use, and is in very good condition. I'm not a fan of the hidden hitches, not here in the land of ice and snow.

I guess I'll have to see if the new vehicle comes with a brake controller. I'm OK with leaving the old one behind and getting a new one.
    With those specific details, it sounds like you have a good plan. Getting new rails installed should be a minimal expense.