The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Listing a Prospective Broodmare

I'm sure this has been beaten into the ground, but I know there is no better place to find reliable answers than this forum. I have a Thoroughbred/Rhinelander mare who was injured a year and a half ago when she caught her leg in a fence. We kept hoping that she would make a full recovery, but she has leveled off at about 90% sound. She's's happy and very pasture sound, but I don't think she will be competitive again. That leaves me with the option of her being a broodmare, although I have absolutely no experience with selling mares for breeding. So that brings me to the questions: how much are broodmares selling for? Also, is it my responsibility to have her checked for breeding soundness? Is listing her as a broodmare the best option (although I can't think of any others)? And finally, what usually happens to broodmares once they're too old to be bred?

I've had her for over five years, and she's like a member of the family. Some background information for pricing: Thoroughbred/Rhinelander of the Martel (1952 Bronze German Dressage Olympic team) /My King (1980 Alternate Olympics with Ed Rothcranz) /Rafike line with a Thoroughred dam; 12 years old; no chronic issues until this hoof injury; evented to training level with dressage scores consistently in the low 30's; well-balanced with no big conformation faults; good demeanor. I can list pictures if that would help at all.

I am just at a loss of what price to list her at, so any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for your time.

What registry is she with? Who is her sire?
    I think you may have a hard time selling her as a maiden 12 year old. Although she is not "old" she is middle aged and maiden, so I would have some concerns about her fertility. You may have better luck if you get her approved with a major registry and put her in foal to a good stallion.

I agree, and that's what I'm worried about. I just don't know of another option rather than broodmare? Her sire is Rafike, and she's registered with the Performance Horse Registry. Thanks for your quick reply!

Honestly, she may not be worth much in this market. She is unsound, so if the new owner can't get her pregnant then they are stuck with a pasture puff. She isn't registered with a "major" registry. The market for broodies isn't great right now. If it were my, and I had the ability and could afford it, I would see if she were eligible for breeding approval with any of the better known registries and would probably try to get her in foal to a popular stallion. I'm not sure she is eligible for approval with very many registries, but you should see if Old NA, RPSI, AWS or AWR can help you out. Having just purchased a broodmare I'm pretty familiar with what is out there and I think you are looking at less than 5k, possibly less than $3500.
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

I agree completely with Hillside. The market is BAD right now. If you can get her approved for breeding and in foal to a good stallion, you may be able to get 5-10 k for her. As she is now, unsound, no breeding approval, older maiden mare, I would be looking at no more than a few thousand dollars.

I think even 3500 is quite optimistic. Most warmblood breeders won't be interested in a PHR registered mare, but it will depend on whether or not she can get any breeding approvals. I agree that is a good place to start. Contact the registries and see where she might qualify for approval.

This is exactly the advice I am looking for, thanks to everyone who's replied. $3000 is much more than I had in mind, so that's encouraging that she may even bring in anything at all. We're paying $400/month for board, so I've seriously considered giving her away to a good home. It's still a very good possibility. At this point, I wouldn't go so far as to get her in foal, but if it would allow more of an asking price I would consider looking into registering her with one of the registries Hillside mentioned. It sounds like that's what most of your responses recommend. If it would be advantageous, a vet check to make sure she is breeding sound is also a possibility. Thanks again for your input.

Please don't "give her away." This is how so many are ending up in trucks on the way to Canada or Mexico. What you could do however, is offer her on a free breeding lease. I have a fabulous, well bred (from a sport horse perspective) TB mare. I paid $1,500 for her but had offered $1,000. She has had 3 beautiful babies, two of which were when she was with others on free lease. I now have her back and she is on retirement board. I wish you luck and admire you for doing what's best for your mare.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff
    \"If you are going through hell, keep going.\" ~Churchill~

Quote Originally Posted by chinaski View Post
    This is exactly the advice I am looking for, thanks to everyone who's replied. $3000 is much more than I had in mind, so that's encouraging that she may even bring in anything at all. We're paying $400/month for board, so I've seriously considered giving her away to a good home. It's still a very good possibility. At this point, I wouldn't go so far as to get her in foal, but if it would allow more of an asking price I would consider looking into registering her with one of the registries Hillside mentioned. It sounds like that's what most of your responses recommend. If it would be advantageous, a vet check to make sure she is breeding sound is also a possibility. Thanks again for your input.
    Have you considered trying to place her in a good university breeding program like Virginia Tech's or Cornell's? You would get a tax deduction for the charitable donation, also. Just be sure to find out the terms of any such donation ahead of time (i.e., what they plan to do with the horse).
    Roseknoll Sporthorses
    www.roseknoll.net

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    Please don't "give her away." This is how so many are ending up in trucks on the way to Canada or Mexico.
    I was going to say, what do you do with a horse that is no longer ride-able? You feed them!

I once gave away a ride-able horse (for pleasure or trail) who had a knee chip, to what I thought was the perfect home. The woman had property and wanted a husband horse. One year later someone tracked me down after they found the horse foundering in a foot of mud at a "rescue". I am still haunted by this, even though he luckily found a wonderful home with someone who nursed him back to health.

I also personally know of true hoarders who have taken horses off of this BB for "breeding". Many horses wind up in very unfortunate circumstances.

I am in the same boat as you, although my mare is ride-able as a low level pleasure horse, but should not be bred. There are retirement board options out there that are safe and less expensive.

All that said, be very careful. I wish you the best of luck finding her the perfect home.

Is her pedigree listed in any of the online databases? Might be helpful...

Rafiki by My Friend(My King) is standing in Ontario. I know that some of his offspring in Ontario have been presented to RHPSI so you might want to start with them. At least they will be familiar with her sire.

Here's what's listed for her sire:

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/rafiki8

Default giveaway

I would consider giving her away if you found a good home. I was given a very nice TB mare slightly lame unapproved. The exception would be if she was likely to inspect well and had a very nice performance career. An approved mare with a repro and/or perfomance career would be a easier mare to place. PatO

Quote Originally Posted by columbus View Post
    I would consider giving her away if you found a good home. I was given a very nice TB mare slightly lame unapproved. The exception would be if she was likely to inspect well and had a very nice performance career. An approved mare with a repro and/or perfomance career would be a easier mare to place. PatO
    And I was given a black type stakes-placed Thoroughbred mare that WILL pass an inspection.

I read somewhere someone said she was registered PHR, yet I don't see that in your OP? Where is she registered? (Nevermind, I found it.)
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
    Breeding & Sales - Currently: Eventing & Derby prospects
    Facebook | YouTube |Twitter | LinkedIn

Well I hate to be a downer but I just sold my 1A prize winning MSB Han Verband mare (14 yrs old, but proven producer) who is also totally sound and well schooled for $3500.00. The broodie market SUCKS right now. The best would be to try and place her with someone you know will take care of her.

Realistically, you'll be lucky to give her away. The market is HORRIBLE for broodmares. I've gotten more than one very nice mare for cheap or free in the last three years.

Definitely look into getting some sort of better registration, PHR is pretty worthless for breeders. It's just a way of tracking performance really.

I think that looking into a University is a really good option
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

Quote Originally Posted by Donella View Post
    Well I hate to be a downer but I just sold my 1A prize winning MSB Han Verband mare (14 yrs old, but proven producer) who is also totally sound and well schooled for $3500.00. The broodie market SUCKS right now. The best would be to try and place her with someone you know will take care of her.
    Which mare did you sell? Wow?
    Agree with what Donella said. I would give the horse away if you find a good home for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Donella View Post
    Whaaaaat?? Darn it! How come do I always miss those deals?
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
    Breeding & Sales - Currently: Eventing & Derby prospects
    Facebook | YouTube |Twitter | LinkedIn

I would be wary of donation and would prefer to give away in that case. I only say this because many years ago I considered donating a nice mare to Virginia Tech for their program, until I found out that often they sell or send to auction their older mares, or ones they don't want, etc. So it was actually far worse, to me, to send her there than to just give her away. Turns out I couldn't part with her still have her today in her old age, luckily , but I would not donate one after learning that it's not a guaranteed home in any way and you might see them in an auction catalog to boot.

We commit to keep ours for their entire lives, but I think sometimes that is hard to find. I've seen older broodmares for sale or in auction catalogs and it breaks my heart.

We are casually broodie shopping right now for the right mare to replace a few of ours who are almost aging out, and yes, there are nice, imported mares available for $4k-$5k or even less, so it makes it hard. The lower the price, the more I worry about someone not taking care of them and it also brings out the crazies...so giving away to a verified good home would be preferable to me than taking $1k-$2k to an unknown.

Oh, one more thing, look at the RPSI to approve from breeding with PHR papers. I believe they will take them into a decent mare book? If she was approvable that would be a big plus.
    Last edited by Signature; Jan. 11, 2011 at 01:29 PM.
    Signature Sporthorses
    www.signaturesporthorses.com

First off...PM me please I know of a farm that has a Rafiki mare used as one of their main broodies...

Second, where are you located? The stallion (rafiki) has some very nice dressage lines...I think you could likely find a free lease, or a small lease fee if you leased her out as a broodmare for dressage breeding.

I have a gelding by the same stallion, so far Ive been more than impressed.

Her sire is with the RPSI, she is eligible for that registry. His foals out of TB and WB mares are currently selling in the 8-10k range as weanlings. It might be worth your while to get her bred to a nice dressage stallion and market her in foal.