The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Area VIII Meeting

How was the Area VIII meeting this weekend? Any significant news or issues to share with the rest of us?

I was wondering the same thing, couldn't make it because of the weather.
    1. Bozone (n.): The substance surrounding stupid people that stops bright ideas from penetrating. The bozone layer, unfortunately, shows little sign of breaking down in the near future.

Never having attended one before, I certainly don't want to be critical, but I expected more of a meeting, less banquet. The Area chair gave a report on rule changes from the USEA convention,and the treasurer gave a short report on finances. I would have liked to hear Area news, because it's been a long time since I've seen a newsletter. How did our Adult Rider group do this year? Did we send teams to the Championships? What about our Young Riders? How did our events fare this year with the economy? and the disruptions with the WEG ? What's the outlook for next year? are there any new events? Have we lost any? I guess a State Of the Area Address.
    I realize the officers are volunteers and have as little time as the rest of us, but they should also be recognized for their efforts and applauded.
    Becky gave a nice talk about Comet and her team experiences.
    They handed out awards, gave out door prizes,did a silent auction. Saw an Armadillo from the zoo collection. Very cute.

As compared to the meetings over the past 4 or 5 years, it was fantastic! I'm always a bit surprised at the lack of "meetingness" as well, but this one has quite a bit more "meet" to it than others have had . Thank you to Christine, Lisa, and everyone else for all their hard work!
    Proud supporter of SprotHorseRiders.com

I'm sorry I couldn't make it. I volunteered to do the Adult Rider Best Score Award in 2010 so I hope Shannon was able to read my recap. It's always great to have feedback, I also sent her a Best Score Award Proposal for 2011 based on the results from this year. Would have liked to hear input from other Adult Riders as to what direction they would like to see the award go.

As a former Area Chair, I know printed newsletters can be very expensive and eat up the area's budget in a heartbeat but I managed to publish at least one per year. It's a shame the Area's website is not utilized more. Maybe they'll publish this year's meeting minutes so we can have an idea of what's going on in the area. I recently went to the Mid South's website, it's terrific. Too bad we couldn't have something similar. Do they pay someone to provide so much information? With several of our Council Members being also Mid South members maybe they could take us in the right direction.

I really feel out of the loop on what's going on in Area 8.
    1. Bozone (n.): The substance surrounding stupid people that stops bright ideas from penetrating. The bozone layer, unfortunately, shows little sign of breaking down in the near future.

Horsecents, absolutely agree. Newsletters are expensive, but more news on a web site would be great. Time constraints, I guess, limited the meeting times, so Adult Rider and YR were held at the same time, any news from the one was not shared with the other.
    I thought the turnout was good, a great opportunity to capture more volunteers. Lots of people showing interest. I'm amazed that volunteer groups don't take better advantage of that.
    There was a large group from Michigan,many from Kentucky,a family from near Akron more than 4 hours away. People obviously thought it was important to be there to do more than collect awards.
    There's also IMHO a lot of money in the treasury that could be used. The only thing that was mentioned in that regard was purchasing radios for organizers, but that was a small amount
    compared to the whole.
    Last edited by SLR; Jan. 11, 2011 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Spacing

Well way back in the dark ages I was Area Chair I remember typing (on a typewriter using white-out) Newsletters four times a year and the last one I did was dropped off a the post office on the way to the hospital to have a C section to deliver Kyle That was 23 years ago!!!

In this modern age of computers and the internet it should be easier, but its the age old problem of trying to find someone to do it horsecents and I, as Area Chairs we did them ourselves because we couldn't find anyone to do them.

Jackie

Geez secretariat, look what you started! Always the catalyst, guess that fits your profession.

(Voice from out in the bushes) "Heh, heh, heh!"

I'll bet there's at least 10 people in Area VIII who would love to be volunteer news people.

Having the meeting at a venue where the whole family could enjoy it is a great idea.

Maybe the meeting needs to be restructured with more emphasis on the business aspects. Are the majority of attendees content with the current meeting schedule? At one time we did hold more open discussions about the "state of the area". What attracts members to attend? I really LIKE to participate in what goes on in Area 8 but it can get frustrating when the information doesn't get put out there.

We really could use someone to organize the Annual Meeting? Would any of you like to help next year? And we will take any names of people who would like to help with a newsletter or website too!!!! Please feel free to pm me with your contact information... I know a couple of you!

Until I did a 3 year term as Area Chair several years ago, I didn't understand how many people and how much time it takes to organize and implement the programs we desire. Before that I really had zero involvement with Area 8 (That's how they tricked me into becoming Area Chair ) Right now I'm doing the Area 8 Adult Rider Best Score Award and have hosted several Adult Rider Socials at area horse trials plus I volunteer at local horse trials when I'm not competing. Not sure how much more to add to my plate but if help is needed let me know.

I know Horsecents helps with the Area, but I was hoping to get SLR! If you organize the meeting, you can plan to have more business meetings!!! Are you Sandy? We would love to have assistance with other projects too. I work really hard for the Area and we get lots of suggestions, but have trouble getting people to help. The financial guidelines limit our use of Admin Funds, but there is a ton of education activities we can do!

SLR aleady does quite a bit for Area8.

By the way, thank you (SLR) for organizing the Becky Holder clinic, which was held on Sunday. I did not ride, but did audit.

Kudos to Becky for standing for hours in bitter cold! Even though the clinic was held indoors, when it started at 8 am, it was 5 degrees outside. Kudos to all of the riders, who braved the cold to ride. It was a super clinic. I cannot wait for the weather to break, so that I can try some of her exercises.

The reason that I went to the banquet was because Becky Holder was the speaker. She was very informative and entertaining.

I did appreciate Christine Brown going over some of the new rule changes that came out of the USEA convention.

The food at this Zoo was really good.

Does anyone else have trouble negotiating the Area8 website?

I liked the old one much better. It was nice to have all of the links visable on the left side. Having a link to an online event evaluation form was very convienent, too. I have not been able to find it on the current site.

Why has the format for the meetings changed? Why do you believe that more folks do not volunteer to help with Area8?

BTW, Cathy Weischhoff was a hoot giving out the awards.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

Auburn: Are you confusing SLR and SHR? From everything I know SHR (Shannon) was the organizer of the clinic.

BTW, from the rider's perspective, I thought the clinic was great. Becky seemed VERY quick to be able to see and isolate your problems, had practical take-home excercises to help you work on them. Once she found out her flight to Atlanta was cancelled she took a lot of extra time with the afternoon groups.

Many good questions and comments Auburn & cindyloowhoo. Sometimes all you have to do is ask or as was teh case with horsecents 'trick' 'em. Sorry Karen but I knew you would do a good job & you did!!

Jackie

Mudroom,

Oops. My apologies to SHR, who organized the clinic. I think that my brain froze on Sunday.

JFS,
    Thank you. I was sorry that the weather prevented you from making the trip down to Cincy. I purchased an entry to the BN Championships at Stonegate. See you in September.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudroom View Post
    BTW, from the rider's perspective, I thought the clinic was great. Becky seemed VERY quick to be able to see and isolate your problems, had practical take-home excercises to help you work on them. Once she found out her flight to Atlanta was cancelled she took a lot of extra time with the afternoon groups.
    Ditto. I was in the BN group and had a really good time.
    I was a little worried because I hadn't jumped my horse in a while and he's green. The clinic was defiantly a good kick in the butt.
    -Chelsie
    "Hell yes I can ride. I was riding when I fell off!"

Hey Mickey,

You have a nice horse. I thought that his way of going really improved throughout the lesson. Good job!

Lisa, I'd be happy to help. Sending you a pm.