The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wow..straight horse

Poor horse. Some unsuspecting person is going to come along and think he is cute, not realizing that he'll be lucky to make it two years as a riding horse. I have never seen such a straight horse ever.

Her's the pic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Straight!.jpg 
Views:	801 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	31697  

You haven't seen many QH/Paint Halter horses then have you

I haven't known many gay horses but sure they r out there....

Well, I've done the QH/APHA circuit for years, granted it was many years ago. I've still got friends that are very involved. That poor thing is poorly put together.
    Do not toy with the dragon, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!

Years ago I knew a horse who was ruined by halter horse feeding as a baby. Basically, they overfed him to the point that his bones grew faster than his tendons and ligaments could keep up with, and it pulled his pasterns straight upright. They looked a lot like the front pasterns on that horse, poor thing. He was 3, and the vet said that he was already NQR, and he'd only continue to get worse. There was surgery they could have done if they'd caught it in time, but the horse was dumped at a boarding stable when it was already too late.

He was a sweet, sweet horse, too, so it was really a shame.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

Quote Originally Posted by davistina67 View Post
    I haven't known many gay horses but sure they r out there....
    I don't know, I showed up to the barn today to find hubby's two paint geldings, um, in flegrante delicto heads out their feed doors, mouths open, completely over the top PDA tonsilhockey kissing. I honestly cleared my throat and they both looked at me like I was interrupting their, um, bedroom activities. They're both adults, I don't care what they do in their private time, but our barn is a family barn, there are kids present lol.
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayside View Post
    Years ago I knew a horse who was ruined by halter horse feeding as a baby. Basically, they overfed him to the point that his bones grew faster than his tendons and ligaments could keep up with, and it pulled his pasterns straight upright.
    Unfortunately, many of the QH/Paint Halter horses are bred specifically to be straight in the pastern and be very straight behind - the extreme of post leggedness.

I'm sure over-feeding has something to do with getting those legs upright too, but that's just a side-effect of their already ill-thought breeding plans

http://www.rpmquarterhorses.com/Telu...ch%20Flyer.jpg

And they've actually started to jump that horse

https://www.halterhorseads.com/mainsite/ have fun

I think he is broken. Too many roll backs? Who knows. But it looks like one heck of a sore rear end to me. Poor guy.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

That first one looks more like a cow

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    I'm sure over-feeding has something to do with getting those legs upright too, but that's just a side-effect of their already ill-thought breeding plans
    In that particular case, the owner of the horse had played musical barns and musical vets, racking up bills with a large number before skipping town, and the very excellent vet I spoke with had actually seen the horse once or twice along the way earlier in his life, so I feel pretty confident with his assessment that the horse I mentioned was strongly influenced by overfeeding, though he may not have been dealt the best hand ever in terms of genetics, either.

Actually, that's one of the few horses I ever had a pre-purchase done on, because I liked his personality so much, but even way back then I knew there was something NQR about him.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

What the hell! The back end is supposed to look this way? They actually breed this guy?

http://www.heckyea.com/thehomerunkid.html

Quarter horses looked so different 20 years ago than they look now. Selective breeding isn't so selective afterall. Sadly, it's not the horses fault, but he or she has to live with it.

~The Black Mare

www.findaridingbuddy.com

Ick ick ick...bleh.

WOW, I have actually never seen anything like the horses in these threads before. I guess I've been lucky, poor things!!!

The QH halter world is a strange, strange place - most of us would consider them fuglies.

Default True That

Quote Originally Posted by ButterflyIris View Post
    The QH halter world is a strange, strange place - most of us would consider them fuglies.
    Though 20+ years ago when I showed them they didn't look quite like that. Then it was the front ends that looked like a steer though the back end has always been a bit over muscled nothing like it was today. I do like a straight hock but not to that extreme. My biggest peeve of the Tbs is the acceptance of cow hocks and pigeon toes. I should not have to corrective shoe my horse to look straight.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

Awww one of those stallions linked is our own dearest Trever's big brother :*( But T-rev was no conformational marvel so he lost his testicles. He was a showmanship machine though! I should say IS, he just moved Far Far Away.
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

Quote Originally Posted by deckchick View Post
    What the hell! The back end is supposed to look this way? They actually breed this guy?

http://www.heckyea.com/thehomerunkid.html
    Good ol' halter breeding >.<

Better than this guy though: http://media.photobucket.com/image/h...ny_pic.jpg?o=6

(Yes, I know it's photoshopped )

I'm not sure when the over beefy, down hill, straight legged and so muscled it looks like it has tumors or insane fat look became popular but I wish it hadn't.
    Owned by a Paint/TB and an OTTB.
    RIP Scoutin' For Trouble ~ 2011 at 10
    RIP Tasha's Last Tango ~ 2010 at ~23
    RIP In Sha' Allah ~ 2009 too young at 5

Quote Originally Posted by Grataan View Post
    Awww one of those stallions linked is our own dearest Trever's big brother :*( But T-rev was no conformational marvel so he lost his testicles. He was a showmanship machine though! I should say IS, he just moved Far Far Away.
    Does Trever's brother frequently think he's dying??