The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Keratex on frog?

Anyone ever heard of putting keratex on the frog? A farrier suggested for "mooshy" frog that is subject to cracking.

my farrier always said put it everywhere BUT the frog and coronary band. judging from the product ingredients i wouldnt do it.

ETA- i am totally overkill overprotective and careful with my horses feet
    Jazz- 4.9.01 OTTB, loved since 12.6.09
    Skip- 3.3.91 APHA, i miss you buddy

I think I remember the directions saying NOT to put it on the frog, or coronet band. If I am remembering correctly then I'm sure there's a good reason for that. I would guess that the formaldehyde in it would be excessively drying.

I've been using Equi Life Solution 4 Feet and you can put that on every hoof part.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

I'd give Keratex a call. There is a woman who works there (she's answered my call every time!) that is very knowledgeable and helpful.

The number is (888) 537 2839

I think you can put the Keratex gel on their frog....not the hardener.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

good call bornfree- we forgot to ask which formula was being used- my post was written with the paint on hardener in mind...
    Jazz- 4.9.01 OTTB, loved since 12.6.09
    Skip- 3.3.91 APHA, i miss you buddy

Quote Originally Posted by skip916 View Post
    good call bornfree- we forgot to ask which formula was being used- my post was written with the paint on hardener in mind...
    me too
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

I will call! No.....your first thoughts were correct - it was the paint on product the farrier recommended. I always thought it should never go on frog either - will give you and update after I reach them.

You could also consider durasole. It can be used on the frog and I've had good luck with it on a horse that got kind of mushy after being padded and we wanted to go pad-free. I love Keratex (both hardener and gel), but think the durasole does better on the soles and use the keratex on the walls only now.

Keratex makes paint on hoof hardener and a paint on hoof gel

The hardener, they are very specific, do not put on frog

the gell is a different matter

I love the Keratex products and they have great customer service. Give them a call.

They ship promptly. I have nothing but praise for the service and the products.

Good advice all! I made the call to Karatex today....you are right hoopoe they do
    have great customer service They said do not put the paint on hardener on the frog. Hardener on the sole and outer hoof wall one inch below coronet
    band. The gel can go anywhere BUT don't do gel and hardener on the same areas at the same time.

On their website it suggests using the gel before going out in the snow to prevent snowballs. I did not know that.... AND they do have a product specifically for disinfecting the frog.

I am such a sucker for great customer service - I spent some $ ordering goodies on their site.