The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Uncle Jimmy's Balls-Hairy Problem....

The fur on my horse's face got all crusty from the ball, and has now fallen off. Anyone been in this position? Any recommendations? Do I really need to remove it from his stall? He loves it, and it is clearly helping him pass the time during these cold months.

no advice, but have to admit that I at first read this post as " Uncle Jimmy's hairy balls a problem." Clearly, there is something seriously wrong with me, and I need help. ok, carry on with your regularly scheduled thread.....
    I'm not tense, just terribly, terribly alert!
    If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to be a horrible warning!

Uncle Jimmy, speak up! How you do manage your horse's ball goo???

To paraphrase: Having balls in your face can make your hair fall out.

My mare seems to stay fairly clean. Our "adoptive" gelding... not so much. We clean him up as often as we can and move the ball BACK to where he can't push it against the bars, but every day, he moves it back. I guess because my mare cannot push it against anything, she does not get dirty. No way would he get a ball in the summer!

Haha, my gelding went through this phase, too. Eventually he got so ticked off at the balls that I had to take them away. He's sort of an ornery dude. Couldn't stand being in line of the death glares he'd shoot at the things!

I just wiped his face with a warm, wet towel every night while he was slobbering all over them. He never lost any hair, though--maybe coat their face with Show Sheen before you give them one?
    Click here before you buy.

My mind is so in the gutter....
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Okay, okay I may have doctored the title a bit. It is just so easy! I washed his face with warm water today. I am a bit worried that someone else may have scrubbed a bit too hard and took some fur off.

FalseImpression, my tb figured out very quickly how to pin them against things and have at it, but this guy patiently licks little bits at a time when he is bored. Somehow he manages to get himself very messy though....

I had the same thing happen last year, with my horse's xmas ball.. He got alls sticky on his ears and I think he rubbed the fur right off, and on his face, and his forlock was a big sticky mess. I think he would walk into it in the dark, or just play with it, and not eat it. I did notice as the temps warmed up, or the humidity came up, the ball would get sticky, or sweaty if you will. This year I switched to the smaller one, and just hung it with his special rock salt on a rope. So far no sticky faced horse. I think he got itchy from having globs of stickiness in his fur and rubbed it..

This threat made me laugh real hard! Sticky hairy balls! Ha! Oh my! Its the only ball my gelding has! :P

they absolutely cannot be able to pin the ball against anything or a mess will ensue! hanging it right in the middle and slightly above her normal ear level is the only trick i have found. i also used to hit myself in the head with it when i was mucking out stalls! i have secretly whispered several expletives at uncle jimmy. i think hanging height is key.

the first time i put one in jazz's stall her forelock was like a molasses coated dreadlock. the only thing worse she has put in her forelock was when she rubbed her face on a sticky fly tape once when i wasnt paying attention to her and she was tired of listening to me chat with a friend in the barn aisle- so gross!

my mare has a propensity for rubbing her face on nasty sticky things though.

she loves to lick the ball though and it keeps her from churning the manure in her stall when she is stuck in due to weather- so it's worth it. good luck, and when in doubt, peanut butter gets the sticky stuff out!
    Jazz- 4.9.01 OTTB, loved since 12.6.09
    Skip- 3.3.91 APHA, i miss you buddy

Hot towel takes the sticky off their face....but some horses do seem more 'messy' than others.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

You can loosen the goo pretty well with mineral oil or even vegetable oil in a pinch. After washing well with warm water, try spraying or sponging on a bunch of Showsheen, Lazersheen, or Cowboy Magic.
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

Stick some vasoline on the places they tend to get it worst and it won't get all sticky. Then wipe everything off with a warm rag. Works really well!

Soak the goo off with a hot wash cloth every day. Keep the spots coated in Show Sheen or another product that coats the hair to make cleaning easier.

Mine got all sticky without a surface to pin it against. He would just bash his head against it repeatedly. If he were human, he'd be a punk rocker.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by azeventer View Post
    no advice, but have to admit that I at first read this post as " Uncle Jimmy's hairy balls a problem." Clearly, there is something seriously wrong with me, and I need help. ok, carry on with your regularly scheduled thread.....
    HAHA- no worries! You were not the only one thinking the same thing!!!