The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ok, choices are now down to these THREE stallions...

(edited... again)

Now our choices are narrowing down (or... widening lol!!)

Dauphin (frozen): spoke to the owner, very knowledgeable lady and very nice! Very good first impression.
    Donarweiss (we would go frozen as we feel the breeding fees+ extra fees for canadian shipments are a little too much for us actually): love the fact he is showing advanced level. Love the De Niro x Hohenstein cross.
    Benidetto (fresh probably): Belissimo M, very nice stallion owner, one of my favorite young stallions in NA.

The mare is a Brentano II x Geronimo II (Geronimo II's sire is a Sandsturm son, dam is a Ramiro Z x Lector mare) x Poprad (polish trakehner) 15.3hh coming 4yo mare. She is very feminine, has three good gaits, lovely lovely temperament and dispositions. Can benefit from a stallion that is prepotent on passing on excellent front legs conformation.

The goal in the future foal: not too big (15.2 to 16.1 would be per-fe-ct), a lady's mount, and would need to display excellent dressage dispositions. If we get the exact copy of the dam, it is great, but we'd like to compliment that Brentano II blood in a nice manner. We want modern, and rideability and temperament is very important. The client is looking for a an amateur horse that won't disapoint her if she decides to go upper levels later.

I'll read your opinions with much interest!

Please if you have some negative comments, send them by PM's as I want this discussion to stay respectful to their respective owners.
    Last edited by Spike; Feb. 19, 2011 at 07:55 AM.
    Les Écuries d'Automne, Québec, Canada
    Visit EdA's Facebook page!

Nobody? I've read with much attention the discussion about Dauphin, so perhaps I should have asked about sharing experiences of Deklan's foals. Who has bred to him? What kind of mares? What are the results? Photos?

We are leaning towards the sire, Dauphin, but as Deklan carries such a good mareline, and is available fresh, he is still on our list. We now need to see what he has sired yet. Well, as he is young, we don't expect thousands of foals, but we'd love to see the ones out there and comments from their owners.

Again, negative comments by pm's only please, I feel better that way.

And, what is his current approval status?

Woodridge Farm in Oklahoma has an Oldenburg colt by Deklan out of EM Lambada (deceased) by Lemon Park:

http://www.woodridgefarm.com/2010%20Foals/2010foals.htm
    The Horse's Handbook on Snorting: Humans like to be snorted on. Everywhere. It is your duty, as the family horse, to accommodate them.

I like both stallions, but prefer Dauphin. Though, I have a coming two year old Dauphin filly so I'm bias. Dauphin's frozen is excellent, FWIW.

Deklan is stunning. He came on the market about the same time the economy tanked so I doubt he has had all that many foals.

Hard for a freshman stallion to show what he can do when MO have headed for the hills in droves.

(bumping this discussion up, as I've edited the original post to add some infos and updates)

FWIW, Deklan is in the Oldenburg stallion service auction.

http://oldenburghorse.auctionanything.com/

Personally I would go with something proven the first time out of the gates.. taking nothing away from the younger stallions but when you dont really know what the stallion or the mare will produce I would hedge my bets with a proven stallion.

Smile

I have a Dauphin 6 yr old who is fabulous and a dear friend of mine Has a Dauphin/Ramio mare from Marefield Meadows. Both are exceptionally talented for dressage and temperment to die for.

Yes indeed, I am inclined too to go with a more proven stallion. But final choice will be by the client. I am trying to gather the more informations possible about these four contenders, so she can make her choice with the most elements possible.

The mare is in foal this year, to Wolkentanz II for another client. She is due mid-april and the actual client is waiting to see this first foal. One foal is not a lot, but it is a start. So even if we chose one stallion over the other, perhaps seing this foal in april will make the decision change.

DY, thanks for the link for the auction, but I'm afraid all the auctions will be closed and done for a while when we'll be ready to buy the breeding.

I vote for Dauphin. I really like this guy. Also, then you won't have to deal with CEM issues getting semen from the US.

Who carries Dauphin in Canada? My understanding was that you had to get the frozen semen from the owner in the State as Celle will not sell directly to Canada or the US.
    In that case you still have to deal with CEM paper work.
    I like Dauphin a lot and he was recomended for my mare by the owner who used to own my mare (so knows her pretty well). I like him a lot too.

Sorry, I didn't explain myself clearly. Dauphin semen does come from the owner in the US, but since it is frozen if it gets held up a day or two at the border, it's not the end of the world. With fresh semen, if the shipment gets held up, the mare have already ovulated or the semen may be dead.

My Dauphin filly is not going to get very big. Sullivan Farm also has an EMC Dauphin mare and she is only 15.2. He does not seem to produce size.

Thanks for the clarification Forte!
    Houserabitz if you read the OP you will see that a smaller size is actually desired in this case.

Just want to add that Deklan's owner is fabulous to work with. I bred my mare to Frohwind, another stallion she stands, twice, and was a first-time breeder to boot. She walked me through the process, had semen shipped right on schedule, provided all the paperwork and is just professional in every way.

Quote Originally Posted by Formosus View Post
    Thanks for the clarification Forte!
    Houserabitz if you read the OP you will see that a smaller size is actually desired in this case.

I know, that was the point of my post.

Mmm....

Just realized that there is Bolero already twice in the pedigree of Benidetto, being by Belissimo M by Beltain by Bolero and out of a mare by Cordoba, who is Cavalier x Bolero.

Then, if we breed him to a Brentano II daughter, we add a 3rd time Bolero.

Is it too much in / line breeding to Bolero??

I love, love, love Donarweiss. I have a 2 year old filly by him who is very nice. She has a very good topline and shoulder, and has very elastic movement. I like her so much that I'm breeding back to him this year for a full sibling.

This is my filly at her foal inspection: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOKURmiHrJ0

Kim,
    Love your filly. So elegant.
    Does Donarweiss stamp his markings often?