The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Girthy horse...

I put this in the dressage forum as I believe this is related to the type of girth I am using. The chiro was out to adjust Studly and being he has been very grumpy when buckling the girth and mounting (no ulcers, he's already on preventive--has been the whole year), she checked him over and he was very tight in his pecs (chest area) and touchy in the actual girth area. I can't remember who sent me the article on the girth making the pecs tight, but I reread it and thought, I need to change my girth. As well as get him a massage. So, I am asking for recommendations for girths for my guy that can help him out. I really don't want to pay a couple hundred for a girth, so can anyone suggest some? I have heard about the mohair dressage girths, so that is an option....Thanks all.

I highly doubt it is the girth causing the issue. In all of my dressage years (20+), I have never had a horse have an issue with a girth causing the problems of which you speak, but maybe I am just lucky? Ulcers, yes. Selenium deficiency, yes. Kissing spines, yes. I have had or known of horses with similar symptoms to your horse, and that was the diagnosis.

So, it sounds to me like it could be ulcers, selenium deficiency, poor fitting saddle, back muscle issues, or spinal issues (such as kissing spines).

As for ulcers, just because he is on some sort of ulcer preventative does not mean he doesn't have ulcers. The only way to tell for sure is to scope, or treat with a full tube of Ulcergard or Gastrogard (omeprazole) for 5-7 days and see if he responds. If he does, then he has ulcers.

Selenium deficiency can cause muscle sensitivity in the areas that you describe. There is a blood test to determine selenium levels in your horse. Are you in a selenium deficient area? What sort of vitamin/mineral suppliment does your horse get, and how much selenium is in it?

Curious to know what ulcer meds he is on.

You might want to have a good lameness vet take a look at him, as horses with sore front feet often have sore pecs and are girthy. And it's often hard to detect since it's bilateral.

http://www.MyVirtualEventingCoach.com

I had forgotten about the feet being a suspect. The farrier comes out tomorrow so I can discuss it with him as well as the vet. I will definitely have that one checked out. As for ulcers, it is Ulcerguard he is on as well as Succeed. So I am pretty confident he doesn't have ulcers at this point. Hopefully it is just the hard ground we have had the past couple of weeks making his feet sore and not anything mechanical, but with my luck....going to keep positive though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.GMan View Post
    I put this in the dressage forum as I believe this is related to the type of girth I am using. The chiro was out to adjust Studly and being he has been very grumpy when buckling the girth and mounting (no ulcers, he's already on preventive--has been the whole year), she checked him over and he was very tight in his pecs (chest area) and touchy in the actual girth area. I can't remember who sent me the article on the girth making the pecs tight, but I reread it and thought, I need to change my girth. As well as get him a massage. So, I am asking for recommendations for girths for my guy that can help him out. I really don't want to pay a couple hundred for a girth, so can anyone suggest some? I have heard about the mohair dressage girths, so that is an option....Thanks all.
    I just had a horse come in for training whose front legs would buckle after the girth was tightened and he was led forward. The vet did osteopathy on him. He had a rib out right under the girth. He stopped the leg buckling but he is being scoped for an ulcer tomorrow.

Default try riding bareback to narrow down the problem

Even walking bareback would be useful. Ask for extended walk and halt transitions. If he feels great, is really extending and moving well, then you do have an equipment problem.