The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Trainers in DC area who are good with young horses

So I know the DC area trainers thread has been done to death, and I swear I've searched every thread I can find and haven't seen the answer to what I'm looking for. No trainwrecks, please.

I'm moving to the DC area next month- exact location TBD, but looks like either Silver Springs or Falls Church, depending on which job the hubby takes. I have a coming 5yo who is going to be awesome, but is a little "special" right now and needs to be in a partial program with someone who is quiet and tactful and can ride a huge jump and the occasional "wheeeeee that was fuuuunnnn!!!!" that comes afterwards. Horse isn't bad or naughty, just an odd combo of super-enthusiastic yet very careful, with lots of energy.

He's finally in a program now that is great for him, and I want to make sure he continues to progress. Long-term, he'll either go the hunter derby route or big jumpers, near term I prefer someone who focuses on the hunters/equitation.

I know the traffic is terrible, commutes are long, etc... would love something somewhat close, but getting the horse to the right program/trainer for the next 6 months to a year is most important.

Appreciate your suggestions, please feel free to PM me any info. Thanks in advance!

Just sent you a PM.

Thanks to those who have PM'd me.

Much of it is going to depend on where you end up living. Simply put Silver Spring and Falls Church are pretty much at opposite ends of the Beltway... if you are in the Falls Church area then you might want to look to someplace in Leesburg/Middleburg area, if you end up in Silver Spring you might want to check out some of the good H/J barns in MD... Rolling Acres, K2, Alan Lohman, Broad Run Farm would be a couple of good ones to start with.