The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Alternatives to Regumate?

I know there's other options out there for keeping a mare in work from coming into heat to improve behavior.. but besides marbling, I'm not sure what the other options are!

So, what are some alternatives to Regumate, besides marbling? How often do they need to be given, orally/injectible/implant? Cost? I just want to learn about all of the options!
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Depo Provera (IM injection)
    Spaying (can now be done standing/laparoscopically)
    I have heard of implantable pellets and other long-acting forms of progesterone that are used in cattle, but not familiar with them.
    Click here before you buy.

Default B.E.T. PHARMACY

Talk to your Vet about the possibility of using BET Pharmacy's P4LA injections. Your Vet will know if your horse is a good candidate for this.
    It was a Godsend for one of my mares that had very painful ovulations. It kept her out of heat and comfortable with IM injections every 28-30 days.
    Good Luck!

I had my mare ovariectomized ("spayed")...she was back to work after 1 month off.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Just out of curiosity, would anyone be willing to tell me the approximate cost of spaying a mare?

Quote Originally Posted by Callaway View Post
    Just out of curiosity, would anyone be willing to tell me the approximate cost of spaying a mare?
    Depends on the area, but less than $1500 as a rule.

Quote Originally Posted by freshman View Post
    Depends on the area, but less than $1500 as a rule.
    Thanks! One of my friends was going to look into it, so I'll let her know.

That would seem a bargain compared to the cost of meds over the long term.

I had a mare who got a granuluosis (sp?) cell tumor on her ovary. It was taken out by the U of FL vet school......minimal invasiave surgery through a small incision in her flank area.. It was around $1k for one side....and it was pretty easy.
    www.flyingcolorsfarm.comHome of pinto stallion Claim to Fame and his homozygous son, Counterclaim. Friend us on Facebook!https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Fl...04678589573428

I was wandering around the MSU vet hospital and they were having a teaching class on doing laparascopic oophorectomies--the "practice dummy" was a big Rubbermaid storage tub with blobs of stuff suspended inside with what looked like rubber bands! Good practice with the 'scope for the steep part of the learning curve.

Quote Originally Posted by Marex2 View Post
    Talk to your Vet about the possibility of using BET Pharmacy's P4LA injections. Your Vet will know if your horse is a good candidate for this.
    It was a Godsend for one of my mares that had very painful ovulations. It kept her out of heat and comfortable with IM injections every 28-30 days.
    Good Luck!
    marex2,

Do you know what the difference is between the p4la injection and the p+ in oil? We just started my mare on 3 ml of im altrenogest that she gets once a week for four weeks and then possibly reduced down to every three weeks - I THINK this is the p+, but I'm wondering how such a low dose works and how it is different from the p4 ( which I know nothing about) and the boirelease. Would love to hear from someone in the know.

bump

The two vets I have access to are nervous about putting the Ponymare on depo because long term use is associated with uterine infections, and rural Haiti has no good options when a horses' health turns hard south. Ponymare would be on it nearly year round for backup birth control (too many wandering Romeos and no fenced pastures here).

YMBV (your mileage better vary!) living where vets, scopes, and horsepitals can be called in quickly and if your mare doesn't need to be on it for many months on end.
    Last edited by HorsesinHaiti; Feb. 21, 2011 at 09:14 PM. Reason: clarification
    HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
    www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog

I had my mare spayed a few years ago for around $850. Well worth it.
    Horseshowmomma

Default BET Pharmacy

Glorybee,
    Actually I don't know the answer to that question!
    I am sure if you called BET, they would be happy to give you the information regarding the difference in the compounds.
    If you can't get the info for some reason, PM me and I will give my Vet a call. She was the one who suggested I try the P4 after witnessing my usually quiet sweet mare turn into a raving kicking-the-barn-down hellion. It worked wonders for her and i used it as soon as she would come in around March, and through the end of November when I would notice her not cycling.
    Hope this helps..

thanks marex2! I'll create a new thread and see if any one else has any idea. And I will tell you FEbruary w/o hormones is unbearable with Glory.

Mare Magic?

Please excuse my lack of reproductive science knowledge, but is spaying "guaranteed" to eliminate (or dramatically reduce) crazy mare behavior? As someone who shells out $320/liter of Regumate every 2 months (yah, I know... awful), spaying is sounding reeeeeeal attractive. I just would hate to put my girl through that surgery if it wasn't going to permanently improve her behavior. It's subjective, I know, but just looking for some more insight on this if anyone out there can attest to spaying...

So, does anyone know if the marble WORKS? If it does, it would seem that would be the easiest and cheapest solution. I've heard of it before, but never knew of anyone who had actually had it done.