The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Animal Feed contaminated by Dioxin in Lower Saxony

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110105...20110105170539

Does anyone know how and if this is affected horse breeders in Germany?
    Cindy Bergmann
    Canterbury Court
    559-903-4814
    www.canterbury-court.com

the real concern is in situations where contaminant got in the food chain which ends up with human consumption. there is neither suspicion that contaminant found its way into horse nor cattle feed, nor concern around that possibility with horses as very few are slated for human food. while thousands of other types of farms are on lock-down, so far there has not been any impact on horse movement or activities.

could that change? who knows?

I doubt it will change. They have thus far shut down traffic and business for a number of farms and determined the source of contamination to be industrial fat that made it to pelletted food for chicken, porc and beef. Massive losses are thus far all on the closed down farmers as they have to run testing procedures in order to prove their products harmless.
    Possibly there will be compensation paid at the end by the food plant/s who caused the mess in the first place but one can never know
    Horsefeeds have thus far not been found to be concerned. Even if they would find dioxine in any horsefeeds it would be not likely that any horsefarms be shut down as there is little to no risk for horses to go into humane consumption in lower saxony. I could imagine they would stamp horses from concerned farms 'unconsumable' but that would probably be it as there is no contagious potential and the majority of sporthorses are stamped 'not for consumption' to begin with as otherwise they would have very limited access to treatment.

I wonder if Sprehe will be affected since they make their money in processed poultry products.

I was concerned about the Classens as they have a large pig farm.
    Cindy Bergmann
    Canterbury Court
    559-903-4814
    www.canterbury-court.com

Possibly they will as the overboarding media response is already leading people to shut down their meat-consumption (again). It is sad what agricultural production has come to. Unfortunately with the structures being the way they are there aren't many farms that process in circles anymore (as in animal-produce fed with home-grown foods).
    Trouble is each time some such 'scandal' shakes the earth around here the only response from consumers is to withhold from meat-consumption for a while and then go back to their normal shopping and eating routine until the next food-industry-gone-wrong scenario comes up. There is little to no thought given to the 'why' and 'how'. Instead even more paper-control systems are established so everybody will feel save seeing yet another 'quality-control' trademark out there.

I would say the lock downs are only related to the pig and Pohlers Part of the Business
    I am not responsible for spelling misstacks - just my PC
    www.hannoveranerzuechter.de
    Filly Londontime - Sandro Hit - Rouletto
    http://youtu.be/1O23BeiKpkY