The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Do you ever pay it back?

Many of us, I won't say all- have been lucky enough to have that 'person' in their lives - who somehow made it possible at some point for us to be involved with horses on some level until we were capable of having our own horse etc.

How often do you pay it back?

I try to. I volunteer in pony club as a director and doing clinics on bandaging, braiding, massage and nutrition for the barn management segments, I teach all the neighborhood kids on my street for free on my older 'been there done that' horses. I mentor a 'newbie' endurance rider most every season, as well as always put my name forward as a sponsor at races for juniors to go with me. I help at local shows and groom/braid for free for my 'dressagy' friends at theirs.

MY resolution this year is to do more!
    I think giving back to the horse community is something I should always aspire to, anyone else?
    Quote Originally Posted by ExJumper View Post
    Sometimes I'm thrown off, sometimes I'm bucked off, sometimes I simply fall off, and sometimes I go down with the ship. All of these are valid ways to part company with your horse.

You bet.

I give back to those professors who had me in their labs as an undergraduate, especially in the beginning when you are a huge drag on the entire operation. So even though I am at a medical school, I always have undergrads in the lab, and many have gone to meetings and coauthored papers.

And of course, there's Special Horses. That's my giving back horse wise.

Feels good, doesn't it!!!!
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

In addition to paying back, don't forget to pay forward too.

I know I do, that person was a coworker and while he didn't get me into horses per say but he did set me on the right path after I had made a huge mistake, well two mistakes one not knowing how green I was and buying a two year old horse. Everything was fine until I took a fall and it destroy my confidence, he helped me rebuild it and then when I finally sold that horse. He waited awhile (roughly 12 to 13 monthes) and with the work of some of his friends (local horse traders) found me a great horse for me, and not at a bad price either.

I give him a rifle (a winchester 94 made in 1966) and he needed one for deer hunting that year, compared to how he helped me there and in other areas that seems so small. I did buy his trailer and horse when he decided to get out of the horse business, and I have tried to help get him back in, though several way; including trying to get him to go to a horse auction with me/ and sending him adds for Joe Hancock breed horse (please pm me any you have.)

Pay it back and pay it forward. I agree w this. Even though I got burned w/ the last one, I still keep trying!
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Quote Originally Posted by Pennywell Bay View Post
    Pay it back and pay it forward. I agree w this. Even though I got burned w/ the last one, I still keep trying!
    Getting burned is just one more lesson to pay attention, that's all.

Just keep trying, whatever way you see right for you and those you deem in need.

You will notice that as you get older, the world keeps getting smaller.
    We are all truly one little part of it all, if we know it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho" View Post
    I give back to those professors who had me in their labs as an undergraduate, especially in the beginning when you are a huge drag on the entire operation. So even though I am at a medical school, I always have undergrads in the lab, and many have gone to meetings and coauthored papers.
    My brother got a job washing test tubes (or something like that) at a radiation oncology lab in college. He liked it, they liked him, they let him help with some research, he got his name on a paper or two, he applied to medical school, he got in and now . . . yes, he is a radiation oncologist.

I think paying it back is paying it forward in many way.

This year with our 4-H program we are starting here on the farm we are 'free leasing a number of our horses and ponies to the kids who's families could never really pay for or buy a horse of their own.

It's our way of giving back and paying it forward.

I often tell folks who have horse questions/issues to come to the farm for help at no charge to them. Many stay for hours. I don't mind one bit.

You bet.

Eleven years ago, a friend and I bought a horse together as a project. He wasn't expensive, but I was hard pressed to come up with my 1/2 and would never have been able to buy him myself. My friend ended up giving me his half of the horse a couple years later when his life circumstances changed. He only asked for his investment back if I ever sold the horse (will never happen).

Fast forward to last February when a friend and I bought a horse together as a project. Again, not expensive, but she couldn't swing him on her own and was looking for a cool project. I just gave her my half. He going to be really cool and she should be able to realize some of her dreams with him. Heres hoping she helps someone else out in the same way some time down the line.

It's with great joy that I "try" to pay it forward, as well as pay back for my wonderful good fortune of being able to own horses, compete, teach, etc. I feel so fortunate, and sharing that with others is truly rewarding. Many in our area really can't afford to own, or even take lessons. People who show me that they really want to ride, and learn -- well, I try to make that happen for them. Not trying to pat myself on the back at all -- it's what I should do. It makes me feel great to share.

One simple way I try to pay it forward is to let a less experienced but good rider get on my horse. When I was just starting out in dressage, I had no idea what a connected, collected horse felt like, although I had been riding for years already. My trainer put me on her Grand Prix horse a few times, so I could feel a little piaffe and passage. Her horse obligingly boinged along, even though he probably wondered what the hell I thought I was doing. I will never forget that first feeling of true collection.
    My current horse isn't anywhere near that level, but he can really teach someone how to get a horse truly straight, over his back, and connected from back to front. It makes me happy to let someone else feel that connection, and I think my horse likes feeling like he knows more than the person on his back.
    Amateur rider, professional braider.
    ----
    Save a life, adopt a pet.

Most definitely! As a college student who struggled with being able to pay bills, I had come in contact with a great group of people at a barn I boarded at. They cut me some slack on board, I worked it off, they gave me their old show clothes, took me places, and I now take every opportunity I can to do the same thing for others. I usually have a stall open and love to have company with me....if they can pay board, bonus! If not, I am happy to have the company for me, the critters, and a stall fairy every now and then and knowing that my friend didn't have to sell their heart horse to live :-).

Once the enabled, now the enabler! I pay it forward to my kids and friends by giving them free access to my guys, help them out any way I can with questions I have answers to, direct them to someone with better answers for the ones I don't.

After I lost my mare in 2009 my then friend now neighbor kept me from giving up on horses by allowing me my choice of hers. The first time I got on one it felt like I was betraying Luna, but as time wore on it reminded me that without horses I go absolutely batty. Like an apartment kept border collie who doesn't get walked often enough.

Now I help her out as often as I can with chores, trailering, working with younger or 'problem' horses etc. Its my second home Although my pocket book wouldn't look at her keeping me involved with horses as a favor, my heart always will!
    Owned by a Paint/TB and an OTTB.
    RIP Scoutin' For Trouble ~ 2011 at 10
    RIP Tasha's Last Tango ~ 2010 at ~23
    RIP In Sha' Allah ~ 2009 too young at 5