The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tipperary Competitor Vests

Of the Competitor XP and Competitor XC vests- what differences are there between them? Which of the two would you reccomend?
    Thanks!
    EDIT: Also, how is the sizing? I measure as a small(35"), but when I take a very deep breath I'm out of the "small" range and aaaalmost(just shy of 38") into the medium range. I'd hate to order one that'll be too big even adjusted tightly, but also don't want my breathing to be restricted ...
    Last edited by supaflyskye; Jan. 7, 2011 at 12:01 PM.

I thought the Tipps were ASTM.

They are not Beta 3. A vest will not be Beta certified if it is made of panels.

I'm surprised the USEA hasn't changed the rule yet to require a Beta 3.
    People complain about them.
    I have the Airowear and a Rodney Powell. I love them both.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Quote Originally Posted by purplnurpl View Post
    I thought the Tipps were ASTM.

They are not Beta 3. A vest will not be Beta certified if it is made of panels.

I'm surprised the USEA hasn't changed the rule yet to require a Beta 3.
    People complain about them.
    I have the Airowear and a Rodney Powell. I love them both.
    Thanks for answering! I actually had just found that out as I continued to do searches after posting this. I appreciate it though. I do still have some questions about the Competitor vests.

Supaflyskye,
    You can remember to breathe on cross country? Good for you!

As to your question, you will probably be fine in a small. I am not a small person and I wear a medium. Mine is a Beta 3, solid panel vest, so it might fit differently. Is there a tack shop where you can try some vests?
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

Quote Originally Posted by Auburn View Post
    Supaflyskye,
    You can remember to breathe on cross country? Good for you!
    I have tried all sorts of things to breathe on cross country. It amazes me how I can talk to my mare yet not acbreathe!! I think I need a headset that repeats the old blonde joke: "Breathe in, Breathe out".

Of course the same headset needs to repeat things like "sit up", "don't jump ahead", "feet forward", "hands down", "don't pull", "kick", etc!!

Back to the point of the thread...
    I have 2 tipperies and I love them. I have to admit ingorance regarding the 2 safety ratings and standards. I have tried some of the full panel vests and really don't like them.

And as for the airvests....I won't argue they are prob increase the rider's safety. But for someone who competes maybe 1 or 2 times a year, I can't justify several hundred dollars for a body protector AND then many many hundreds for an airvest too. I pray every day that USEA doesn't decide one day to make them mandatory. That will be the end of my BN/N eventing career.

And now I have to buy a new helmet for dressage. Well, I guess I don't HAVE to but my older safety helmet that is velvet is the old bowling ball style. Dont' get me wrong, I am all for the new rule. I think it should have been implemented ages ago. Just hits me at a bad financial time :-(

Enough rambling....

I would definitely recommend getting a size small...I had a medium for a long time and I had the strings tied as tight as they would go and it was still HUGE and would ride up on course...it was really uncomfortable haha. I finally got a small and it's still a little big but with the strings tied pretty tight it fits! The strings make it adjust a LOT so I'd say go with the smaller size for sure!