The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Grain confusion

Ok so someone help me understand the best grain diet for an ulcer prone horse?? Iam getting that high fiber is good, but when I go to look for grains they all have a bit of something different, sooooo ultimately what exactly do you want.

Iam aware of the alfalfa thing, this horse nds a bit more weight, and to become a better hay eater. Iam a Bluse Seal person, so if someone could give me a particular grain that they sell I would be most grateful. The highest fiber grain they sell is CarbGuard, but they say it is for the cushings type horse????

Iam just trying to find the best grain for him without leaving out any other requirements that he would need.

He is a 3 yr old OTTB, currently getting all the hay he wants, 2 lbs of wet alfalfa split up 2x a day, 2 lbs of TC Complete 3x a day.

Any suggestions would be most helpful!

You can get free help from a nutritionist if you talk with the big companies. I got lots of good suggestions from the Purina nutritionist a few years ago.

I would use a high fiber feed like Omolene 400 in the amounts recommended on the bag. It is a lot of feed, but if he needs calories and won't eat enough hay, a high fiber complete feed is a good option. Give him as much hay as he will eat, including alfalfa, along with the Omolene 400. Will he eat some Lucerne Farms Dengie in addition to his hay and grain? Many horses love Dengie. I have had good luck with Omolene 400 and Dengie for horses who won't gain weight despite free choice good hay. Those horses probably had ulcers but we didn't scope them because they were fine after the dietary change.

My vote is for no grain and high quality soy-free vit/min supplement with a pre-probiotic in it, along with some rice bran.

I feed equine rice bran and the vit/min supplement "EquiPride". My Arab no longer needs ulcer meds since I put him on EquiPride. It got rid of his spring and fall runny bums too

His ulcer issues weren't as serious as some, so that doesn't mean EquiPride is a cure-all for every horse with ulcers.

Equine rice bran is bland, provides cool energy and is 22% fat.

CarbGuard and any other "grain" product aimed at the Cushing or IR horse is going to be a good choice.

that said, the TC Complete you're using isn't bad either. If you like BS and can get the CG, then go for it

You can also do a ration balancer (TC 30 is one, not sure what the BS equivalent is) and then add as many pounds of alfalfa pellets are you like/he will eat to add more calories.

My ulcer horse is back on CarbGuard and doing fine. We tried no grain for a year (he ate alfalfa pellets, rice bran and Enrich 12), but he just wouldn't gain that last 100 or so lbs he needed. He gets very nice hay, basically free choice. He's now getting 2lb CarbGuard/ 1.5lbs Alfalfa Pellets / ~0.5lb Rice Bran twice a day. Gaining weight pretty nicely.

I used to have my ulcery OTTB who is a harder keeper on Triple Crown Complete, but he really doesn't like beet pulp, no matter how I give it to him. After much research and painfully slow tweaking (each change makes him go off his feed) we've settled on Legends Maturity (for the fiber) with corn oil and a probiotic (Fastrack) added. He also gets Alfalfa cubes in hot water during the winter at the late night check (and any time he refuses grain, e.g. new hay, change in routine, new grass, the wind blows east to west ). And constant access to hay. This is the first winter he's not dropping too much weight. It makes me happy.
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucious
    <>< I.I.

Mine eats alfalfa cubes for his hay, and shed loads of beet pulp. Then a multi vitamin/mineral supplement for high alfalfa diets and salt, water and UGuard.

No commercial bagged feed at all. He can't have corn, oats or barley, or any grass hay.

Thanks everyone, I guess I will try the Carbguard (I can use it on my tubby WB also) along with alfalfa cubes (wet of course) I think I will see if he likes the beet pulp as well??

So it would be:

Carbguard
    alfalfa cubes
    beet pulp
    and of course all the hay I can get him to eat!

Quick question, when you say you feed rice bran, how do you obtain it, does it come in its own form, like beet pulp shreds??? or is it mixed in a type of feed??

Thanks again!!!

Rice Bran comes either as a meal or pellets. Have used both, but use the pellets more often. My horse never turned his nose up at the meal though.

Look at Buckeye Eq8. It's made specifically to avoid gut problems in horses. Might be something you can use.
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

I could have misunderstood, but with my last question to a nutritionist at one of the larger companies, they told me to watch the Omega 3 and 6 supplements because some contained more 'inflammatory' ingredients than others. IIIRC, they said flax was higher in omega 3's and rice bran higher in omega 6's? I am not a nutrition guru and far from it so I suggest looking the info up or asking a nutritionist, but I thought I'd at least put it out there just in case.

You are correct in the flax/rice bran and 3/6.

6 IS inflammatory, 3 is anti-inflammatory. The body needs both to function properly.

Unfortunately I don't think it's ever been documented just how much of each the horse needs. It does seem to be pretty well accepted that the horse doesn't NEED more 6, and depending on the situation he may need more 3 - not enough grass, has some allergy issues, and others.