The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Eew! Green, fuzzy bridle!!!

As the title suggests, I have a disgusting green, fuzzy, stinky bridle, blech!

PSA: Don't assume your trunk is watertight and use it as a spill over tack trunk...

So I have this bridle, I would like to try to salvage it if possible. It wasn't hugely expensive, but I hate throwing things out! So I'm wondering how to go about cleaning and restoring it. Suggestions? Also, how the heck to store it so it stays it's clean? I've kept this particular one in my actual tackbox, but it seems to really want to be green and will mildew in the humidity over the summer.

My first thought was a serious cleaning over haul and oiling the snot out of it, but then that would give it more moisture, which is NOT what it needs (obviously). I don't want to dry it out, just clean and supple!

TIA

Clean it with vinegar. Then apply Leather Therapy.
    Horse & Dog Designs: Clothing, Pendants, Water Bottles, Totes, Phone Cases, ETC:
    WoofNWhinny*
    NEW: Saddlebreds, Dragons, Western Roses, & Cairns

Horsey Humor, Ponies, Barn Safety & More.

I had one like that from sitting in my garage. I threw it in my mudroom sink and scrubbed it with castile soap and water. Used a brush and plastic knife to get the gunk out of every nook and cranny. Then I applied Leather Therapy, having read some things on here about how great it is at preventing mold regrowth. It looks okay now, but it has only been a week.

I may get yelled at for this, but I had a moldy bridle I soaked in diluted bleach (very small amount of bleach, but still...). Let it soak for awhile, then scrubbed with Castile soap. Let dry, then applied some Leather Therapy and later, ledersbalsam. I don't live in a humid climate (it was moldy because of a leaky tack trunk also) so I bet people from FL have much better ideas!

Vinegar, or a dilute solution of Lysol. Follow with Leather Therapy. Repeat if necessary-mold/mildew is hard to kill! I like to oil later, once I've established that the green isn't growing back. As far as storing it so it won't mildew, IME (living in Florida) the only surefire way is an air conditioned room. At the very least, clean and quickly oil after every use, and store in a bridle bag. You can wrap it in newspaper to help absorb some of the humidity.

I've done a dilute bleach solution in the past, but it dried the leather out and the mold came back anyway. I hadn't thought of vinegar, however -- might try that next.

Vinegar works betterthan bleach IME. IME means a lot of exprience.

Condition with your favorite thing and enjoy.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

I've sprayed really moldy bridles with Lysol. Then clean and oil... this year I tried something new... Betadine scrub. I figure I can use it on my hands and on my horse's skin, and it's not going to be any worse for the leather than the mold. Soaped it up, and did not rinse... so far the mold hasn't grown back... It's been a month... a wet cold rainy month...

I had thought about diluted bleach, but was afraid of the drying.

I will try the vinegar idea, that seems to be the consensus! Just white cooking vinegar or something else?

If that doesn't destroy the green slime, betadine will be the last resort.

Thanks!

My neighbor, who is a leather craftsman and does saddle repair says to soak it in bleach water, scub th heck out of it, and then get neatsfoot oil really hot and soak the bridle in it for 24 hours.... then rub it dry...

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Quote Originally Posted by WoofNWhinny* View Post
    What she said. I have had this issue in the past (FL humidity), and I have found that Leather Therapy really does prevent mold growth.

Here is my thread about the product and my accidental experiment on how it works:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=282552
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Heliodoro View Post
    I had thought about diluted bleach, but was afraid of the drying.

I will try the vinegar idea, that seems to be the consensus! Just white cooking vinegar or something else?

If that doesn't destroy the green slime, betadine will be the last resort.

Thanks!
    I use plain cheap white vinegar preferbly out side. You WILL smell like salad.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

Okay, so what if you try both suggested things, and mix the bleach with vinegar? Kidding, maybe...I have visions of that creating some volatile gas or something...

Betadine is something I hadn't thought of for mold, but I've used it on leather in the past when I was trying to limit the spread of ringworm and it didn't seem to have any ill effects on the leather. Might try it again -- I just found a fuzzy pair of reins in the garage that needs some help.

Quote Originally Posted by WoofNWhinny* View Post
    I have done this. I used disposable latex gloves, an old toothbrush, then rags for wiping. Threw them all away. My old western saddle turned out beautifully.

color me disappointed...I was hoping for a link to a picture of something lime green and fugly, you know the theft proof bridle....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.