The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Opinions needed.

First Happy new year everyone
    Second, I'm starting a new project.. (like I need a hole in the head)
    Any rate I've been slowly working on an equine nutrition book, specifically addressing only endurance horses. It mainly began as an exercise (I had to hand in a thesis last term to finish off my equine nutrition degree and made it about what I know best, endurance horses.
    Now I know theres not a ton of info on endurance horses - you get it in bits and pieces all over the place - which I was forced to do when working on my thesis so.. hence the book idea.
    But:
    Figured I'd toss the idea out on here and see what ya'all think.
    Quote Originally Posted by ExJumper View Post
    Sometimes I'm thrown off, sometimes I'm bucked off, sometimes I simply fall off, and sometimes I go down with the ship. All of these are valid ways to part company with your horse.

Default Happy new year to you too!

I'm not sure what you are asking for an opinion on. Is there a need for a nutritional book focusing on Endurance Horses? I can't answer that

But, you point out how difficult it is to get information easily. Plus, it sounds like you are 1/2 way there anyway, so why not?

Do you have someone who would publish it for you?
    OLD FRIENDS FARM-Equine Retirement-We LOVE Seniors!! Spoiling Retirees since 1998
    http://www.angelfire.com/oldfriendsfarm/home.html
    Charter Member of UYA!

Do you want our opinion on whether this project is a good idea/fulfills a need?
    Or whether we would buy the finished book?
    Or what and how we feed our endurance horses?

Quote Originally Posted by Lieselotte View Post
    Do you want our opinion on whether this project is a good idea/fulfills a need?
    Or whether we would buy the finished book?
    Or what and how we feed our endurance horses?
    Need/interest mostly. I have no real intention of selling it ,etc, but had planned on donating copies of it at rides and such for prizes, to club members, etc etc.

I know 'I'd ' love to get it as a prize - but thats just me. I have one friend who isn't happy unless she gets a bucket as a prize every ride.
    Sometimes I'm thrown off, sometimes I'm bucked off, sometimes I simply fall off, and sometimes I go down with the ship. All of these are valid ways to part company with your horse.

Quote Originally Posted by lawndart View Post
    Do you have someone who would publish it for you?
    Answering these in reverse order as usual.
    It'd be a small run from a local publishing house. Like most my horsey ventures it's be a labor of love rather than profit. snicker

Over the years I have adjusted what I am feeding our endurance horses according to what is available for roughage.
    The only difference feeding our endurance horses from our others has been a simply one of more total daily calories.

While I'm perfectly happy with what and how I feed my guys I'm always interested in how/what others feed and why. So yes.
    I would love to read such a book.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.