The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Riding after knee replacement?????

I am heading for a knee replacement and wanted to know how it has affected your riding after the surgery. Right now I can barely walk, never mind ride. I can't post and have taught my older guy to let me mount and dismount from his off side to save my bad knee. I also had to re-home my tall horse because I couldn't get on him anymore.

I would appreciate anyone info on this. I can't go on the way I am now but I'm very nervous to have surgery done.

I've had my curcial ligament replaced, had 4 quartizone (spelling) shots and have tried the series of 5 (chicken shots!) and I'm still limping around. Gotten to the point that it hurts to lift my leg to just get in my car or into bed and I walk with a constant limp. It's starting to affect my back and my other "good" leg.

I had the initial surgery done by Dr. Pepe from Rothman Institute in South Jersey and a second clean up surgery done by a Dr. Facciola (this worked great for 2 months and then back to being in pain). I now have an appointment with Dr. Ong with Rothman Instituted. Yikes! I'm scared..
    Life is what happens when you're making other plans. RiverDance

schubert Guest

Thumbs up I'm now riding after knee replacement surgery

Like you, I was at the point where there really wasn't an alternative. The first 3 weeks were the most difficult for me but the doctors had me up and doing physio the next day following the surgery. Initally, I did wonder what I'd done to myself but I can tell you after about a month I was sure glad I did it!

I now have no arthritis in my right knee. I don't even think about it anymore. I went back to riding after 2 months with no real "easing in" period and started lessons again in 3 months. I can't believe the improvement in my riding since the surgery. Unfortunately, I now have to have a knee replacement on the other knee but I know now what I'm going to go through.

It is definitely a tough surgery. My advice is to make sure you do all of the physiotherapy and make sure you take and finish all of the pain medications they give you as they want you to do the therapy relatively pain-free as well as manage the pain.

Good luck!

Had a friend in Colorado who was a trainer have one and she went back to riding. Can't remember how soon she went to back to riding (it was about
    10 years and I'm over 60) but she was getting into reining last I heard. She
    had taught dressage and jumping previously...not the knee replacement had
    anything to do with the change of riding.
    Julie
    www.centaurfencing.com
    Safer, Stronger, Lasts Longer!
    Godspeed BARBARO--Run fast and free!

Schubert, Thanks for the info. It gives me hope. I've been told that the first 4 - 5 weeks are really tough but after that the heal time is pretty quick. I'm dreading the pain but I'm in pain now....just not as bad as surgery but it's constant. I'll just have to bite the bullet and make it through the first month. It gives me hope to hear that I'll be able to ride again. I also just want to stop hurting and be able to walk normally.

Quote Originally Posted by BasqueMom View Post
    Had a friend in Colorado who was a trainer have one and she went back to riding. Can't remember how soon she went to back to riding (it was about
    10 years and I'm over 60) but she was getting into reining last I heard. She
    had taught dressage and jumping previously...not the knee replacement had
    anything to do with the change of riding.
    I'm 58, so with some luck I'll forget my surgery after I have it done! I had someone else mention that they switched to western after surgery. I think it is easier on the knees because you don't post. I ride dressage and if I can get myself up to 1st Level, I can also do a sit trot....which will help my knee.

I just taught a clinic where one of the students had a knee replacement 6 weeks ago. She rode in days one and three of the clinic and each day was 2 hours long. I was impressed. This included jumping and a lot of flat work.
    Justice will only be achieved when those who are not injured by crime feel as indignant as those who are. - King Soloman (970-928 B.C.)

My aunt and my mom had knee replacements at roughly the same time. My aunt rides and she was back at it amazingly quickly!

I was closer to my mom's recoveries and the thing that made the biggest difference for her was doing the PT. She always did her exercises. Actually, she did way more than they told her to do and her doctor told her that was the reason she had such a fast recovery time. I swear, she was always doing some stretch or bend and I think she only used a walker for a couple days. Hell, she took herself up and down the stairs at her house a couple times a day from the very beginning...

A friend's dad had knee replacement and he spent all his time on the couch complaining. As you can imagine, he's still complaining. My mom had her other knee done about 6 months after the first and she's never looked back.

As for pain - my mom said it wasn't as bad as the pain she had known before and it was managed well with OTC stuff (she has a family of pain med addiction so she didn't take much for the pain). She said that post-surgery was the first time she hadn't been kept up at night by pain. AND, she said that there was great comfort knowing that the pain was lessening and not getting worse

I had her climbing the steps to see the Rolling Stones in concert a couple weeks after her surgery. She walked from the parking lot and up to our not especially great seats without the aid of a walker or cane.
    In my experience, the recovery is what you make of it!
    Y'all ain't right!

schubert Guest

Default I ride dressage...

When I returned to riding after the surgery I had absolutely no problems posting whatsoever. In fact, I post better now than I ever did. Before the operation my legs were pretty much useless -- stiff and sore -- so I had a heck of a time with aids, posting, etc and I tired pretty quickly.

Not so now!