The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Our ET baby by Bugatti from my mare Wintermaske arrived last night. She is almost a carbon copy of her mama -- black with a huge blaze and two hind socks. Unfortunately the ET mare rejected her thoroughly and in a very frightening and dangerous way.

I'll be raising her as a bucket baby. We got colostrum into her before taking the ET mare away and I've started her on Buckeye milk replacer.

Please send your prayers and good thoughts to this sweet baby. She will need them. http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...s/sadsmile.gif

Our ET baby by Bugatti from my mare Wintermaske arrived last night. She is almost a carbon copy of her mama -- black with a huge blaze and two hind socks. Unfortunately the ET mare rejected her thoroughly and in a very frightening and dangerous way.

I'll be raising her as a bucket baby. We got colostrum into her before taking the ET mare away and I've started her on Buckeye milk replacer.

Please send your prayers and good thoughts to this sweet baby. She will need them. http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...s/sadsmile.gif

Oh no! Many, many jingles from Ohio.

Congratulations on your new filly!

Those damned recip mares. Did she come from a clinic? Too bad we can't pick them ourselves.

Keep us updated and post some pics soon!

will send good thoughts your way MaryLou!
    At least you have good experience with bucket babies....

Wow, that must be so frustrating. We are definitely sending JINGLES to your filly from Virginia. Please keep us up on how she's getting along. I know it's a lot of work.

SCFarm
    The above post is an opinion, just an opinion. If it were a real live fact it would include supporting links to websites full of people who already agreed with me.

www.southern-cross-farm.com

Mary Lou,

Aren't you glad you were there to rescue the foal!!!??? Good luck and congratulations.

Do you ever feel like it's always gong to be an uphill walk? I'm kind of gong through that...

Donna

Thanks all. I had had a terrible feeling about this mare all along. She never accepted any kind of udder handling, no matter how quiet and patient. She would not allow the foal to nurse and went for her with teeth and or heels if she tried to get past the mare's shoulder. Even twitched an tranquilized it was all my vet and three helpers could do to get her milked out. She still would not let the filly nurse after her bag had been taken down and she should have been comfortable. Also the filly was frightened by her and didn't want any part of her udder with us coaching her.

The mare was also going after anyone who came into her stall in a very determined way. I got the umbilicus treated and an enema into baby while she was still down, but after that there was no way anyone could be in the stall unless the mare was on a leadline and being told in no uncertain terms that she was not to kill anyone.

I will put the baby with my two other mares and foals at least part time once she is strong so that she gets some horse skills. I know this is far from optimum, but leaving her with that crazy mare would possibly have killed her and would definitely have had the mares's attitude rub off on the filly. Just not worth it. This was definitely renting a uterus and nothing else!

Baby is smart. She just took the rest of the colostrum and is figuring out a bucket already. She is definitely a chip off her mama's block.

Now I am praying for not too many more surprises. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_frown.gif

Praying for your baby.. Thank goodness she is letting you help her.. Jingling for her..

Jingling for baby ... ET mare should be ashamed of herself! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_frown.gif

Poor baby...shame on ET mare! It is good that she's already figuring out the bucket. I'm sure she will be fine in time (but YOU will be the one sleep deprived by then!)

Many jingles from PA!
    "If a horse has a "warm" back—loose, supple and oscillating—he can lift the rider...on a "cold" back—low and stiff—the rider achieves nothing other than growing old sitting on it." —Charles de Kunffy

Prayers and jingles from Indiana to keep your filly healthy and strong. Considering she's a carbon copy of such a special mare, she's really a treasure.

How frightening! I had very good luck with the Buckeye product and an orphan. There is another thread going right now about an orphaned foal (RIP Paisely) and they turned it out with a mare that has a foal already and she has adopted it. I know that is an exceptional situation, but it happened to me too. My orphan was adopted by another mare with a foal 5 weeks older.

In my situation, it did not happen right away. The orphan was turned out with the other mare and foal at about 6 days old (orphaned at 1 day). I really watched the first couple of days, worried about her being hurt (although the mare was very gentle) and also hopeful the mare would adopt her. Things were peaceful, but no "adopting" behaviour. THen, after about 10-14 days together, orphan a bucket baby, one day the orphan would not drink her milk from the bucket and I panicked - thinking all kinds of things were going wrong -they were not though. Mare and foal had finally "gotten to know" each other well enough, and the OTHER foal (who had been possessive about "her" mom) had gotten more adventurous/wandering and lo and behold - mare was letting the filly nurse.

So I will keep fingers crossed for your foal too. It is a shame about the mare, but I have to say it would have really scared me. I think you definitely needed to pull the foal off of her.

Good luck, blessings, prayers and jingles.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I'm sure she will be fine in time (but YOU will be the one sleep deprived by then!)
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, and I'm already so tired from this foal watch that I can't see straight.

Baby is not drinking as well and is getting dehydrated. Vet is coming to give IV fluids and tube with milk replacer. If we can just get through the next few days, I think we'll be okay, but I hope you guys will keep jingling until then.

I think we will call this tiny dancer Ballerina. That name will fit her. And she really is the clone of Winter as a baby, but smaller. Same slightly dished face and little pointed ears. Same neckset. maybe leggier, which is nice.

That is horrid the mare rejecting her like that! Friends of mine run an orphan/broodmare care facility and successfully raise several orphans a year. But it is exhausting! They are there round the clock with the orphans. Best of luck to your baby.

Had the ET mare had a foal before?

I saw on the germandressage.com site that a mare had twins, and the mom is nursing both little ones. Maybe one of your mares will let this baby nurse. http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...milies/yes.gif

~Sally

Jingles for the baby! She sounds lovely.

I bet you are exhausted....if you need help let me know.
    As is our confidence, so is our capacity. ~W. Hazlitt

Gift Hill Farm

Jingling like crazy and sending all of my prayers your way!!!!! Please keep keep us up to date.
    ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
    *Bugs 5/86-3/10 OTTB Mare* RIP lovely Lady, I miss you
    *Frodo '03 Anglo Trakehner Gelding*
    My Facebook

jingling for you and your foal....

I am shaking all my jingles for this baby - bless her little being

More jingles headed your way