The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Another animal cruelty investigation starting - another article

There will be news coming out in the next couple of days of a new animal cruelty investigation and I believe seizure in Smithfield/Surry, Va, going on now. I have heard 22 horses seized and possibly 5 found dead. The worst part about the whole thing is it a piece of crap person I have posted about here before, or she is at least involved. I will post more information as I can, and as stuff is released. Once it is made public I can not WAIT to out the monster. Everyone please jingle for the poor horses that have suffered through no feed, and a very rough winter so far, some of which did not make it and may have frozen to death in the snow.

I will also say, in regards to another problem property someone else has been posting about - get pictures and if you have to then involve PETA. I believe that is how this one is finally being reported. Like someone else said, do not wait, use every tool you have to to make someone pay attention before it is too late.

And if you are in a bad situation and can not make ends meet - please ask for help. There is no shame in going through a rough time - it happens to the best of us. There are resources that can help you no matter who or where you are. PLEASE JUST ASK!!!
    Last edited by abbydp; Jan. 10, 2011 at 08:24 PM.

Oh gosh! I had not heard about this. Can you say who it is? PM me? I do a lot of trimming up in that area and know quite a few folks.

What a terrible shame for those horses.

I wondered if it wasn't a blonde dingbat with Pintabians :>

Tamara in TN
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

I don't know anything about the case but in reading the article this jumped out at me:

"You may remember a previous death at the Allen farm. In August, Jennifer Gibson accidentally ran over her 8-year-old daughter Tiffany McDaniel. Gibson kept her horses on Allen's farm where the accident happened. It's also where McDaniel was buried.

Amy Spencer Allen says Gibson's horses have since been adopted by a family in Richmond."

I never heard about this but, WOW! This, combined with "starving horses getting dropped off in her field", I'm glad authorities have stepped in and hopefully the horses involved will all pull through.

Yes it is the same place as the accident with the child. I posted that too when it happened. There is so much I would love to say but can't. This whole they were dropped off this way is CRAP. Sorry they don't starve to death in a week. If you go to the Wavy link, be careful the pictures are not pleasant, but only a tiny fraction of what was found. Piles of bones, that were way older than last week, and the dead ones that starved/froze last week in the snow. The dead horses are within sight of the child's grave. Seeing someone that was there yesterday and what it did to them left a big enough impression on me. I just have to hope what goes around comes around. There are more than 6 horses affected, they could only find warm stalls for the worst six on such short notice. The rest will be seized as well I think if they were not today.

For those that clean up these messes and the heros like Lori - I do not know how you do it. I don't know if I could handle myself looking at the people who treat living things this way.

I wonder about the disparity between her own horses and those that "got dropped off". Were the starved ones segregated with no forage or feed? Has someone seen these horses for longer than the past few weeks? It seems strange to have all these fat fuzzy horses and horses with blankets and slinkies and then dead and dying boneracks. So either these horses were dropped off already in a bad way or she was deliberately starving a select group??
    Last edited by summerhorse; Jan. 7, 2011 at 02:12 AM. Reason: spelling
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

I so worry that it will only get worse, given the weather and the economy. These stories haunt me.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

mydaughterloveshorses Guest

Default This has been reported to the authorities before

It just makes me sick to think about this. I jumped for joy last night when I saw the news. I'm so glad something is finally being done about her and the way she cares for animals. I was mortified a few months ago when I went to her property to look at a horse that she had listed on Craigslist that was supposedly dead broke for my daughter. Well after arriving, we mainly concentrated on the horse that we were there to see but we kept getting distracted by the way all of them were being kept. It is an accident waiting to happen around there with all that scrap metal and such she has rigged up for a so called shelter. Then the most horrific sight I think I have ever seen is a 30 yr old mare that had not long given birth. The mare was nothing but skin and bones and I just got sick to my stomach looking at her. My sister who was with me was just mortified! We were told that she had rescued her and then she gave birth. We just couldn't get over the sight of her. She had others there as well and they didn't look so great either. Also, along with horse she was raising other animals too. Rabbits and dogs that were just covered in ticks. There pens were back in the woods and her daughters took our back there and brought out these animals. She tried to sell us a puppy for $300 and it didn't even have papers. I knew right there that something was a little off by the situation. Needless to say, when we left there my sister got right on the phone with someone there that does local rescue and she said that Amy Allen was being watched and there was just so much they could do. But they were going to continue to watch the situation and go up there and check on that baby and mare. I often wonder if they made it. I'm going to see if I can research if they did make it or if she was one of the casualties. I'm just heartbroken over it!! Oh, and the horse that we went and looked out, we were told by the lady at the rescue place that she knew that horse and she was not a child's horse. She had a bad habit of reaching out to take a bite out of you. And do you know before we left that property she tried to bite my little girl which made us a little alarmed. And after talking to the rescue person, it was clear to us. I just didn't get good vibes while I was at Amy Allen place and I'm so glad that something is FINALLY being done!!!!!!

Wow...I remember when that little girl was killed. My neighbors, who I trim for, know these people. It sure is a sad small world.

Ok, so the stupid fat cow clearly has no problem shoving food into her own pie hole but can't manage to get off her fat duff long enough to give food to her horses? Nice. Maybe she should be locked up and starved for awhile. She might not find it too pleasant.

Owner doesn't miss many meals herself..
    Why is it these starvation cases all seem to have FAT owners?
    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...pscc2a5330.jpg

I simply fail to understand, how does one starve some and not others??????? Are there no buzzards in VA. Seriously, if an animal dies naturally here, within hours the buzzards are working on it. Within three days, there is almost nothing left of a horse and yet, nothing is bothering those bodies or did they die that soon before crews were out there?

Notice, the owner looks well fed and with that much land, you almost have to work at starving them cause horses will eat other vegetation to stay alive. The mare and foal I am working with right now are living proof of that, they are eating the leaves off trees and bark and for that reason alone, they have suvived thus far.

Yes, Geek, it is going to get a lot worse before the winter is over for sure. Sadly, we wont know about most of it till its too late.
    Our horses are not seen as the old and disabled they may have become, but rather as the mighty steeds they once believed themselves to be.

Sunkissed Acres Rescue and Retirement

I am sorry to say the foal you saw I would guess was one of the casualties. I know I was told of a 3 month old foal that died, they believe last week. At least one other one was young, probably 4. Even if she got them in bad condition if you don't know how to treat them or can't afford it - TELL SOMEONE OR ASK FOR HELP. If someone anonymously dropped them off at your property, report it to animal control. She is LYING. Even a well placed bullet or the pink juice would have been better than she gave them. Lori we had a lot of snow, probably 14 inches where she is, so they likely froze in the snow and were not uncovered until recently. Necropsies were done, but I am not sure how much can be learned from them. We do have a lot of turkey vultures but I have been surprised lately at the number of deer hit by cars that they are not going after either. She is right beside/ under major power lines so I am not sure if birds are affected by them or not. These videos were taken on the second day so she had time to line up the ones she wanted seen. Notice she did not let the cameras in the property, only trotted out the ones that faired well. The "friend" defending her didn't do her any favors, sorry. A blanket won't do any good if you don't feed them. Scary part is this idiot is the 4H Leader in Surry. Are you f'ing kidding me?????????? Ok kids today we learn how to starve a horse and drag it out to rot. She's a winner, this one. I believe there are rabbits as well. I do not know about the dogs.

Sorry this is just really getting to me. I do everything I can for my animals and right now am hand-feeding a bird to try and save him, so some a##hat like this that obviously has not missed a meal, knows she has "dropped off, deathly skinny" horses goes away for a week??? cough bulls$$t cough
    Last edited by abbydp; Jan. 13, 2011 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by snkstacres View Post
    I simply fail to understand, how does one starve some and not others???????
    Yes, Geek, it is going to get a lot worse before the winter is over for sure. Sadly, we wont know about most of it till its too late.
    Because they are crazy hoarders. Remember the Nancy Mackall, Polo Pony Retirement farm situation? Twenty dead horses, 10 starving in pens with no food or water (and a stallion locked in a trailer in the hot sun for weeks) and 10, apparently very healthy horses turned out in a pasture. She had the same situation in the house. One dog loose and healthy, an afghan locked in a crate WAY too small, so matted that she couldn't walk with untreated ear infections.

I'm friends with the woman who found them. She adopted the afghan; the ear situation was so horrible the poor dog has had two ear ablations. She's finally doing really well over a year later.

Default Donations needed

Some of the horses have been moved to rescues/foster homes. There is currently a need for the following items:

Senior feed
    Alfalfa hay or cubes
    Supplies to treat rain rot without bathing: MTG/microtec, etc
    Waterless shampoo
    Small and foal sized horse blankets
    Monetary donations

Two local tack stores will be drop off spots for donations, and items can be purchased for the rescues via credit cards over the phone:

Sesroh Tack Shoppe
    1408 South Church St., Smithfield, Virginia
    Phone: 757-356-9234

Horse and Hound
    (757) 238-9681
    15111 Carrollton Blvd, #A, Carrollton, VA

Quote Originally Posted by macmtn View Post
    Owner doesn't miss many meals herself..
    Why is it these starvation cases all seem to have FAT owners?
    true obesity is as much bad management as starvation

Tamara in TN
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

So when these people supposedly "drop off starvin' horses awl the time" she just KEEPS them and doesn't call the authorities? REALLY? If I walked out and found a starving horse in my paddock I would have the sheriff out to report it for sure.

I wish I hadn't read this but I'm glad it's being taken care of. I really need to not open these threads though.

She used to run ads on Craigslist all the time stating that she'd take any and all unwanted horses. Then she'd turn around and advertise them for sale as kid broke horses with a long list of accomplishmnets.

This has been going on for years and years and years. So very sad.

Glad she finally got busted.
    Save lives! Adopt a pet from your local shelter.

abbydp - I am just curious, from your posts you sound like you know (or have very good firsthand knowledge, at least) the people involved. I moved to this area over the summer and have met the people involved on several occasions through my acquaintances here. I looked back at your posts, and when you initially posted the link about Tiffany's death in August, you said you did not know these people involved with both incidents. Has that changed in the past months?