The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default If you could buy any customs...

what would they be?
    La Mundial?
    Vogel?
    Der Dau?
    Something else?

My Christmas present to myself (and birthday present hehe) is going to be a pair of customs...

I just can't decide which brand...

I'd get the pair of La Mundial's with the alligator toe and top. Tacky? Oh yes. But I'm obsessed with them. I think Vogel has that option too...

Have any tack stores in your area who can measure? I'd get their opinion specific to your feet.

I LOVE my Vogels. First pair of boots I've ever owned which fit me properly. The owner of the local tack store measured me and said there was only one style in one brand which would fit me. (I bought dress boots for dressage, so the high arch caused extra problems.) It's possible others would have worked, but she certainly steered me toward a pair of boots which fit incredibly well. I rode two horses in them the first day I had them, and had no sore spots from rubs the next day. A couple months later, still nothing bothering me. They do have a reputation for zippers going out, but I think that's common among boot brands - the store owner told me it's not if, but when.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

I'm considering customs. My local tack shop is a dealer for most of the custom boot-makers and they said in my case that Der Dau would probably work best. They said that Der Dau is a bit more open to customization for zippers and stretch panels for people who have difficult fitting problems (like me with a cycling calf and small ankles/kness). They said that some of the other bootmakers will do those things but are very opinionated about their dislike of those kinds of modifications...

I love a lot of the newer Der Dau's I've seen. Plus, you are close enough to where, if you chose Der Dau or Vogel, I'd come into NYC and have them measure you directly. Vogel's shop is on the Lower East Side of Manhattan and Der Dau is in Brooklyn. Less chance of a mess up that way.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I treated myself to a new pair of custom Der Daus last winter, and looooooooove them! They broke in so easily and fit like gloves. Plus, I got some fancy trim on the tops, just for fun.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

I like the der daus myself....I know someone who got a little crystal embellishment on the top of the boot that I love!
    And in the la mundials, they have an option that you can put any color piping on the top and the toe...I'm not crazy about the toe but love the bit of color on the top and tab.

What does everyone think? Too tacky? I show mainly hunters on the local A circuit and dabble a bit in the jumpers.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Quote Originally Posted by TheHunterKid90 View Post
    I like the der daus myself....I know someone who got a little crystal embellishment on the top of the boot that I love!
    And in the la mundials, they have an option that you can put any color piping on the top and the toe...I'm not crazy about the toe but love the bit of color on the top and tab.

What does everyone think? Too tacky? I show mainly hunters on the local A circuit and dabble a bit in the jumpers.
    I think as long as it's subtle, why not? Mine have embellished tops, but you really can't tell until you are quite close to them.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

I would get Parlantis. I have Vogels and would never, ever get them again. They took forever to get, were NOT made to my size (and had to be sent back twice), and now the leather is cracking after only 3 years. I take good care of my boots. There is no excuse for it. I will never spend that kind of money with Vogel again.

I love my Vogels, and I'm a tall boot hater.

As someone else mentioned, your custom boots are only as good as the person who measures you. It's shocking, I know, but you'd be surprised how many supposed "experts" can't measure at all. If you are going to go to all the trouble and expense, ask around and make sure the person measuring you knows what they are doing.

Vogels will be my next buy...

I hate my der daus, they havn't even lasted a whole year now....

Quote Originally Posted by bazinga View Post
    Vogels will be my next buy...

I hate my der daus, they havn't even lasted a whole year now....
    What has happened to them?

I have custom Der Daus and La Mundials. Don't care for my Der Daus for a number of reasons, but they're all aesthetic reasons of personal preference. They are well made boots and will last a long time. Except for the sole. It wears down quickly, but they can easily be resoled by a cobbler.

I would not buy La Mundials again. They're just ok. Can't complain too much for the price.

I've heard of many people having issues with the Vogel company. I wouldn't go there.

If I had an unlimited budget I would go for Parlantis or Tuccis. Now those are NICE boots. Next time I need boots I will save up for those. Totally worth it, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by SnicklefritzG View Post
    What has happened to them?
    The soles are separating, really bad (I can stick my finger in between), the inside leather is wearing quite fast. They have dropped an insane amount, and are way too big on me for some reason... And no I have not lost weight.

I am not impressed, my friends boots cost half the price as mine to get custom and hers did the same thing as mine and they didn't charge her to repair them after 3 years. I will be charged about $200 from Der Dau to have them fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by bazinga View Post
    The soles are separating, really bad (I can stick my finger in between), the inside leather is wearing quite fast. They have dropped an insane amount, and are way too big on me for some reason... And no I have not lost weight.

I am not impressed, my friends boots cost half the price as mine to get custom and hers did the same thing as mine and they didn't charge her to repair them after 3 years. I will be charged about $200 from Der Dau to have them fixed.
    What brand did your friend get?

I've always had Vogels. That said, my first pair I still wear daily and I LOVE those boots.

The newer ones....not my most favorite in the whole world, but they are very pretty and fairly comfortable. I don't know if the level of quality has just gone down a bit, but I wasn't as excited about them as I thought I would be.

I might get some La Mundials next. I've heard nothing but great things about them!

Finding a tack store that is experienced in measuring is a must for any customs.....do some research, and if there isn't one in your area that you are comfortable with travel. Customs are an investment, and it is terrily annoying when you receive them after waiting SO LONG and they don't fit as they should!

Have you considered Dehner? I know a few people who swear by them for their longevity/durability.

If you visit the repairs section of the Dehner website, it says they no longer repair boots that are over 20 years old. Sounds to me like people are still wearing the boots 20 years later before something finally gives out-- incredible!
    Leadline is a legitimate reason to have children.

Don't get the La Mundials. Lovely boots but mine never fit right and the service was awful. I set them back twice only to end up with a pair that never fit me until I took them to my local leather works guy to have gussets put in. They aren't worth the hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by Tollriffic View Post
    Don't get the La Mundials. Lovely boots but mine never fit right and the service was awful. I set them back twice only to end up with a pair that never fit me until I took them to my local leather works guy to have gussets put in. They aren't worth the hassle.
    I agree. Their customer service is BRUTAL. Mine pucker at the widest part of the calf. They're cut too wide there, so the zipper puckers. Makes my leg look even bigger. Zippers popped first day out of the box. I wasn't going to send them back and go through more months of waiting, so I took them to a local cobbler and had stronger zippers put in. He put in the same ones as my Der Daus. Zipper on the Der Daus has never broken. It's kinda big but it's legit.

I had a nightmare experience with Vogel's ordered through a BIG Midwestern tack store; they eventually fully refunded my deposit after a full year. Could not get a straight answer out of the store and Vogel never responded to my email - although they apparently called the store.

I waited until WEG and went to the DerDau booth where the owner's wife measured me. Boots arrived in 6 weeks - PERFECT!

I can't comment on wear (yet), but they fit like a glove and I got the double soles.
    pace, path, balance, impulsion and ??

Don't panic! Ralph Leroy Hill