The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Planning a Trip to Germany Spin-off; Remedial Questions

A friend and I are also planning on going to Germany this year, but in the fall to see the Celle Stallion Parade and Hanoverian stallion licensing. I don't even know which airport we should fly into, and is there a central location that is the best place to stay? We would like to see as many stallion stations as possible, Celle being the priority, but since I am not familiar with the geography, I'm not sure where to start (and Kyla, I did send you a PM). When does Celle post their event dates, anyone know?

Make sure your rental car has a GPS, call your cell phone provider for a temp plan, and find out if the farms has someone who speaks English. Have fun

Tim
    Last edited by RyTimMick; Jan. 5, 2011 at 10:50 PM.
    Sparling Rock Holsteiners
    www.sparlingrock.com

You will probably want to fly into Frankfurt and catch a connecting flight to Bremen, then rent a car there. Or you could fly into Amsterdam and drive over from there. We actually found the Amsterdam route was easier when we were going to Oldenburg on a regular basis as it eliminated the risk of missing our connecting flight. Had that happen twice and it is no fun sitting around the Frankfurt airport for 3 hours after a long trans-Atlantic flight.

Quote Originally Posted by houserabbitz View Post
    A friend and I are also planning on going to Germany this year, but in the fall to see the Celle Stallion Parade and Hanoverian stallion licensing. I don't even know which airport we should fly into, and is there a central location that is the best place to stay? We would like to see as many stallion stations as possible, Celle being the priority, but since I am not familiar with the geography, I'm not sure where to start (and Kyla, I did send you a PM). When does Celle post their event dates, anyone know?
    I was about to say...

It depends also from where you are flying in, since not all airports connect the same way.

Frankfurt is the main hub, centrally located, though I believe Berlin is better connected with the west now than 20 years ago.

You can also get a train and rent a car at the location. (as I recall Hamburg and Bremen are relatively minor airports)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMama1 View Post
    Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
    GNU Terry Prachett

I am flying Lufthansa in a few weeks through Frankfurt to Bremen. The cooler route, imo, was Air France to Bremen via Paris with a layover of sufficient length to have dinner in Paris.
    Roseknoll Sporthorses
    www.roseknoll.net

just a word of advice: Do pack clothing and overnight gear into your carry-on!
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMama1 View Post
    Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
    GNU Terry Prachett

You should look at either Airport Hannover or Bremen to fly in for licensing and Celle. Than rent a car at that airport (with GPS). driving is quite easy, just a few rules are different (not allowed to turn right at red lights e.g.). and overtaking on the leftside is forbidden.

I would look into booking accomodation in Verden during the licensing and at Celle if you want to visit the state stud ( celle is very attractive tourism wise !).

As for the geography. Bremen is the most northern of Celle Verden Hannover Bremen. Verden close to Bremen (about 30 - 40 miles. On the same route south hannover from Verden about 60 - 70 miles. Celle is more to the east if one looks at the line bremen - Verden - Hannover. It takes more than 1 hour from Verden to Celle state stud.

Am not usre that you can combine licensing and Celle stallion shows - they ar too far apart timewise I think. Drop an email to Celle for date, am sure they answer.

Buy yourself a german map and northern germany travelbook to get a bit familiar with everything as a first step !
    If you have any further questions - let me know.
    I am not responsible for spelling misstacks - just my PC
    www.hannoveranerzuechter.de
    2017: Lissaro - SPS Don Frederico - Prince Thatch and Finnigan - Sandro Hit - Rouletto