The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dutrow Positive Test

Found this article yesterday at Standardbred Canada: http://standardbredcanada.ca/news/1-...igue-2011.html
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

And?? this is a suprise??

Default Pack of wolves

What about all the stories about bullying in the news lately have you people not learned from? What if the positive was for something like gastro guard(which he has had in the past) which is administered to control ulcers and make horses healthier. But no lets just jump on the band wagon with out any facts.

Quote Originally Posted by judybigredpony View Post
    And?? this is a suprise??
    Ya know what? I dont know who this guy is nor do I care; never heard of him until I read the article. I was just pointing out an article about what may be something new in this era of chemistry as opposed to real training.

beaniebaby - hard telling what this guy used or if it was just an unfortunate combination of feeds and supplements. That has happened before.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

First off beaniebaby welcome to the boards.

That said... welcome also to reality. It was VERY well documented during Big Brown's triple crown campaign exactly what for and how many times Mr. Dutrow has had horses in his barns come back with positives.

I can tell you from personal experiences and comraderie with the guys of the NY test barns that they are very used to pulling samples from his horses and indeed very unsurprised when said samples come back positive for something.

Meanwhile I appreciate that someone with a long record of abuse of the system gets to actually be "innocent until proven otherwise" in your eyes. It's always good to meet optimists in the world of horses and specifically with the racing fans.

The fact of the matter though is that some trainers absolutely do abuse the drug rules intentionally. I have seen it and watched it done to animals I have ridden. And here's why....

The purse your drugged horse could foreseeably win on the day is more than the fines in most cases and... what many people fail to think about is this. The purse monies would have to be returned if a horse fails a drug test....BUT... there is no way to demand back any winnings the connections or bettors may have thrown behind the horse. This is where the big money comes in.

I know of too many examples to list but here's the best example I have...

One claiming horse running well lately ran dropped in for a $16k tag... down from $32k where it had finished 5th, 6th and a lucky 3rd. Horse was training well but wasn't a lock in the field. He went off at roughly 4-1. He won by 3 lengths.
    Not a head scratcher, not out of place, no alarm bells. Seemed resonable. Oddly however when the off shore bets came back there was a decided blip on his win pool wagers. (Forgive me if the whole mechanics of this process elude my best descriptions) But essentially with delays for time zones, telecasts and wires... someone dropped 50k on his nose to cross the line first. And that turned into a lot more money.

He came back positive later for bute and I think clenbuterol. Purse money of roughly $11,400 was rescinded. But the profits were into the six figure mark.

So yes Virginia.... there are bad people in racing. And many times (on the official record) their trainer's last name has been Dutrow.

~Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

R. Dutrow, Jr.

Not all the Dutrows have that sort of resume.

N

Nancy you know I respect the hell out of you.

But there are other Dutrow's who have problems with rules and keeping horses healthy while also fielding an enormous vet bills.

Lots of inside knowledge, and remember I used to be based at Delaware and Fair Hill. Not just NY.

~Em
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Well, there are only three Dutrows still involved in racing... so let's focus on the one who has the positive for now.

Is there a maximum number of positives you are permitted within, say, a calendar year? Just seems like it would help with things like the above example situation. Say after a trainer has X drug violations in a year, he is suspended for several months and his horses actually must leave his barn during that time and go to others, not just be trained in name by an assistant. It would seem there are only so many times an innocent mistake could happen in a year.

Serious question from somebody who doesn't know the answer. Do racing authorities have a limit on multiple violations and really turn the screws then, or are violations each fined in isolation?

Quote Originally Posted by dressagetraks View Post
    Is there a maximum number of positives you are permitted within, say, a calendar year?
    Evidently not
    Serious question from somebody who doesn't know the answer. Do racing authorities have a limit on multiple violations and really turn the screws then, or are violations each fined in isolation?
    When was first getting into the industry ( late '70s early '80s) a positive drug test resulted in the offending trainer being taken out in handcuffs. His license was gone and the matter was given over to the state police for prosecution. A night and day difference to what goes on out there today.

This is what keeps decent people out of racing, runs off owners, and will ultimately destroy the "sport"

Attempting to influence the outcome of a horse race is still a felony on the books in all the states and should be treated exactly as such. No excuses, no tolerance, no second chances. If the chemists could be run out of it the horsemen would again have a decent and fair work environment.

We all know not to hold our collective breath
    "I am going to have horse racing as my business, and my hobby will be punishing each and every one of you pinheads, so happy blogging you have my attention"
    Michael Gill-2010

Em--just posted so it was clear that this individual was the one mentioned in relation to this weird test.

I find it odd that the substance is not named. Usually the stewards statement reads "Trainer X is fined $Y after tests revealed traces of substance Z in the urine sample taken from Horse Q following the 5th race on ..."
    Do they not know what they found?
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique