The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Good feeds for mare and foal? And senior feeds?

I've been using Omolene 300 for the past four months, but these new bags I bought last week are... different. I know that Omolene has been doing things differently (it seems like they're trying to cheapen things?), but I don't know if they've changed the formula...? It smells different, and I believe one of my foals might have coliced on it (a minor gas or spasm, I think, because it was sudden and lasted about fifteen minutes before he was right back up and 100% again. I'm not even sure it was colic, but I'm going to assume it could have been, in this situation).

I don't necessarily think it's a bad batch, as I've noticed this new smell in several different bags, but I don't know. :| I'm unimpressed, anyway. Because I'm losing faith in the Omolene, I want to know other's experiences with it -- especially recently -- and what other feeds I could/should consider switching to. Should I think that the feed is a bad batch and totally stop feeding it? I searched for recalls and changes in formula and couldn't find anything, though it most definitely smells totally different than the Omolene I was using four months ago.

Not only is it this change in the feed I've noticed, but it's also expensive, so I'm looking to cut the bills too. For three months I used coupons I got from the Omolene University to buy the feed, so I got $10 off of a $17 feed, so it was niicee. But the OU got cut out and now, paying full price, it's getting rough.

Legends or Solution from Southern States seems like it gets good reviews, but I don't know. I absolutely love what Omolene did in the four months I used it, so I don't want to go to something that's "less"...

I have two colts that are about eight and nine months old, and a pregnant mare that is due for about March or April. When the new foal is weaned, I want to move her (and another 15 year old) to a senior feed, and I'm not sure about that either. After this episode with Omolene I'm getting iffy about Purina as a whole, so what brands should I start considering?

Triple Crown, Progressive, Seminole, LMF, depending on your location, are 4 offhand that come to mind as better quality than Purina.

Using ration balancers (here is where I don't have a problem with Purina) such as Purina Enrich 32 or 12, Triple Crown 30 or 12, Progressive Grass or Alfalfa Diet Balancer, whatever Seminole's is called, are wonderful tools to give you a great deal of flexibility. You can cover nutritional requirements with the RB, and then whomever needs more calories, you can add things like alfalfa pellets (particularly if a mare is lactating, or beet pulp, or rice bran.

Thanks! I searched for dealers on the four feeds you listed, and there are two places where I can get Triple Crown, but I can't find any of the others closer than 50 miles. I'm happy with that though. It's no more expensive than the Purina so at least I'm not spending anymore, haha. I've never seen Purina Enrich in any of the feed stores I visit but I'll keep an eye out for it, though it probably wouldn't be any cheaper than the Triple Crown I guess...? At any rate, thanks for the suggestions, I'll have a look around town and see what I can find.

TC is great, including their Sr feed.

I would recommend Triple Crown Growth for mares and foals.

naturallyluvhorses Guest

I've had great luck with the Tribute Essential K and their Growth products and have an old one on their Senior if you need another option.

TC is a nice product too!

Ditto Triple Crown. Use Complete and Senior for my horses.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

I am very happy with the Blue Seal line of feeds, I feed the Sentinel extruded feed to my 3 horses (all 3 get senior feed, two retirees and a lightly worked 7 year old mare). What I like is that they are a fixed formula feed.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

I've been VERY HAPPY with Ultium Growth. Mine have never looked so good. It's expensive, but you don't feed much of it.

I've only ever fed Purina, and have had no problems... ever. I haven't bought a bag of Omolene 300 in a while though.

Many times the Purina Enrich's are special orders... at least at my local feed store. I was feeding Enrich 32 for a bit and didn't really see any difference honestly.

Oh, and Equine Senior is my true and tried favorite senior feed. Tried LMF Senior, didn't like it.
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

I'm a huge fan of Purina Sr, and have had GREAT results with it, and I also feed Nutrena Safe Choice and have had every horse I've put on that do noticably better then on other brands of feed. Having said that, I'm in Canada and for the American feeds to get into the country they have to pass very strict guidlines and testing. The formulas MUST be consistant and are checked so maybe I get a slightly different product then what is avalible in the US? I know our selection of Purina/Nutrena products is very limited so maybe there is a reason for that???

I feed Kent's Dynasty Jr. Locked formula, which is nice. You can top dress Omegatin for extra colories, too.

I was always happy feeding Purina to my horses. I used Omolene 300 , Equine Senior and Equine Junior with great results. I have not had to feed grain for years and I am sad to hear their quality may be compromised. I worked at a stable a couple years ago and they fed Nutrena feeds and were very pleased with the results. They have all kinds and you may want to look into those too.