The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Shipping and Coggins

What would happen if a commercial hauler left with a load of horses passing through a few states and they had forgotten to get the Coggins for one of the horses?
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain

Nothing--unless he was stopped.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

However it would suck if they were headed to FL since they WILL be stopped. However it would still only be a problem if the rig was checked against the paperwork, and about half the time I just give them my license, health certs and coggins and they never check the load.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

I'm, in Florida and have heard shippers mention having "spare" coggins for horses
    whose coggins were delayed or not available. Hmmmm, sorta defeats the purpose of a coggins.

Quote Originally Posted by Iride View Post
    What would happen if a commercial hauler left with a load of horses passing through a few states and they had forgotten to get the Coggins for one of the horses?
    Depends on the state(s) he's going into/through and how they are set up and how good their people are at the inspection stations (if they have them) and of course, if he gets stopped at all. Going INTO California usually means getting through one of the ag inspection stations. I don't haul commercially so don't know how those guys do it but for individuals they are pretty good most of the time at checking horses against paperwork. Of course they also will let you through if you are going for a day ride 20 miles inside the state line....which gets you through without much paperwork at all and once through you are free to roam as much as you want....not much use to have "bug stations" if that's done often.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Quote Originally Posted by Marla 100 View Post
    I'm, in Florida and have heard shippers mention having "spare" coggins for horses
    whose coggins were delayed or not available. Hmmmm, sorta defeats the purpose of a coggins.
    Well since a horse could test positive a month after the last test, it's not much protection against a positive horse anyway. Even the health certificate with a 3 day/6 month option is still not much protection as everyone found out w/the neuro rhino a few years back.

But it probably makes it harder get a horse out of FL (or in) if there is any kind of APB on stolen horses. Not difficult, just harder.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

in these days of faxes and emails I would think it wouldn't be a problem - shoot all you would have to do is scan and embed the scanned coggins into an email and poof instant proof of coggins

You won't get in or out of FL without it. I've been through the inspection stations on various roads coming in and out at least once a week for the last few months and they come out and check every single time. They even look at the horses.
    In Ga they have roving Ag officers, I got pulled over once and had my paperwork checked. I would imagine the rovers probably don't check the commercial guys as much though.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

you won't get in to some states without it but they'll just hold you at the line till you can prove that the horse had a test, quarantine the horse or send the load back.
    "ronnie was the gifted one, victor was the brilliant intellect, and i [GM], well, i am the plodder."

We had a minor snafu with paperwork (switched horses between 2 trailers at the last minute and forgot to switch Cogginses) this year and I was able to show a copy of the relevant Coggins to the inspectors on my iPhone. They accepted it.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by DMK View Post
    Well since a horse could test positive a month after the last test, it's not much protection against a positive horse anyway. Even the health certificate with a 3 day/6 month option is still not much protection as everyone found out w/the neuro rhino a few years back.

But it probably makes it harder get a horse out of FL (or in) if there is any kind of APB on stolen horses. Not difficult, just harder.
    I agree.

I know the rescue org. here in FL that takes positive horses also has negative horses at the ranch as well and the negative horses, in all their years of operation, have never tested positive.