The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mice in the farm house

I searched and could not find it. What is the best way to kill mice in our house. I assume they migrated from the barn. I don't want to poison lest they die in the walls. I am hearing them in the ceiling now.

Cats are out as I am allergic.

I assume traps (which hubby will get to deal with), but what are the best type?

Thanks in advance!

Rat zapper!

Hands down!

Snap traps are reasonably effective. Bait with peanut butter and put them against the walls. Check them all every day.
    ---------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by horsefaerie View Post
    Rat zapper!

Hands down!
    +1

Must....resist...other...answer!
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

I prefer the rat zapper but snap traps also work really well and they're cheap and easy to find.

But neither works if you can't figure out where the mice are going to be.

Here's a trick to try before setting any traps:
    Dust flour (or baby powder) along your baseboards, backs of your counter tops, down the edges of your stairs, etc. Pretty much all along the edges of any hard surface flooring. (mice like to travel hugging walls)

Leave it out overnight and the next morning wallk around checking it for little footprints.

Once you've estalished where the little rodent highways are, vacuum up the flour or powder and set your traps. Make note of a few locations of little footprints and every night change the location of your traps if possible.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

oh, just a sidenote: Mice can squeese through tiny cracks, I think 1/4 inch is enough, so don't dismiss an opening because it's 'small'

snap traps with PB, cheap enough to be disposed of if the mouse gets mangled in it.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Quote Originally Posted by Belg View Post
    +1

Must....resist...other...answer!
    On my way to buy it!

FWIW, I am pretty sure they set up shop during the warm weather when my husband kept leaving the back door open. The house is pretty new (1982), and fairly small, s I walked the perimeter. We have a concrete foundation, and I cannot see any openings anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer the rat zapper but snap traps also work really well and they're cheap and easy to find.

But neither works if you can't figure out where the mice are going to be.

Here's a trick to try before setting any traps:
    Dust flour (or baby powder) along your baseboards, backs of your counter tops, down the edges of your stairs, etc. Pretty much all along the edges of any hard surface flooring. (mice like to travel hugging walls)

Leave it out overnight and the next morning wallk around checking it for little footprints.

Once you've estalished where the little rodent highways are, vacuum up the flour or powder and set your traps. Make note of a few locations of little footprints and every night change the location of your traps if possible.
    Misty, they are in the basement (where I keep tack and stuff) and in the ceiling (drop ceiling with an access door that we can use for traps. They do not seem to dare to go in the main part of the house (we are a ranch house) where the Standard Poodles would get them in a minute (judging from the dogs activities with rodents outside of the house). Once I relaized they were in the house, I have spent a good part of the last week cleaning up mine (and my daughters') tack, rags, sponges, and other nifty nesting places.

You could always ship them to Kentucky for training...

Failing that, you could borrow a page from our fine friends at MMSC and train them yourself....

Offer now for sale, my fine Mickey Mousemanship Rubberband Halter and CheezStick... for the low low price of 499.95$... Or if your fingers are nimble enough, you can tie one on yourself!

http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/...y1/photo-2.jpg

No mouse trainer should be found without one!

The only thing that works well for me is Bar Bait. It is a poison brick. I toss it under the house in the crawl space (dogs can't get under there). Apparently the mice die under the house because I never see nor smell them. I never see them in the yard, either. I have to use about one bar per month.

I got busy with the Christmas hustle and bustle and went a little too long before putting a new one under the house last time, and then it started snowing on Christmas day. The mice moved in while I was snowed in for three days...ugh...shudder...

Anyway, as soon as I could get out I threw a new bar under the house, and I haven't seen a rodent since. They work like magic
    "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

They do have traps at Walmart (and I'm sure everywhere else) that look like a big plastic clothes pin, and they seem easier to set that conventional ones.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Are you very sure that its mice? We have scritching on the ceiling and found when the roof was replaced year before last that we had a significant colony of bats living in our attic area. They get into bat clog dances during the winter and make an amazing amount of racket.
    Robin from Dancing Horse Hill
    Elmwood, Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Robin@DHH View Post
    Are you very sure that its mice? We have scritching on the ceiling and found when the roof was replaced year before last that we had a significant colony of bats living in our attic area. They get into bat clog dances during the winter and make an amazing amount of racket.
    I hear them chewing--yuch!

Success! Thanks for the Ratzapper recommendation, one down, not sure if they're anymore, but the thing is cocked and ready to go again tonight!

Heard another one chewing up there since I posted. Keep your fingers crossed that the bugger is not wise to my new toy!

Got another one. Also found a small hole near the door that they may have used. Hopefully, this is it. I REALLY appreciate the info on the Ratzapper!

Quote Originally Posted by IFG View Post
    Heard another one chewing up there since I posted. Keep your fingers crossed that the bugger is not wise to my new toy!

You read too much COTH On the Farm....

(If you have more questions, contact Ghostrider)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Search on "repeating mouse trap". I think it was called Tin Cat. It's a live trap where they get in and can't get out. They are great just to leave for a while and catch a bunch. Even if you check it every 12 hours, they seem to be dead when when they are caught. I think they get frightened to death - sad. When I first used one, I got several at once which was nice. You never seem to know how many you have until you start catching them.

I don't understand this. I've read all the posts and the most obvious and simple answer to your problem has yet to be mentioned: get 2 kittens and bring them up INSIDE the house. Keep them inside, don't let them become barn kittys. They will live happy, long lives and keep your house completely mouse free.

You may think that because they are in the walls and attic that the kitties won't get them, but they will. Even if you have dogs, they will learn to get along if you insist. No emptying, no poison. Nature's miracle!
    \"I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with someone who is unarmed.\"--Pogo

Quote Originally Posted by Mary in Area 1 View Post
    I don't understand this. I've read all the posts and the most obvious and simple answer to your problem has yet to be mentioned: get 2 kittens and bring them up INSIDE the house. Keep them inside, don't let them become barn kittys. They will live happy, long lives and keep your house completely mouse free.

You may think that because they are in the walls and attic that the kitties won't get them, but they will. Even if you have dogs, they will learn to get along if you insist. No emptying, no poison. Nature's miracle!
    Yes, we would be mouse free, but I am VERY allergic to cats, and would no doubt be unable to live in the house. Might have to take up shop with the horse in his barn.