The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default showing in AO jumpers and green hunters...

Can an Amateur show in the AO jumpers on a horse they own and the green hunters (ie Pregreens, first years, etc...) on a horse they dont own during the same show?

Thanks!
    "If you are nervous you arent focused-if you are focused, there is no room for nerves!"

Quote Originally Posted by bhrunner06 View Post
    Can an Amateur show in the AO jumpers on a horse they own and the green hunters (ie Pregreens, first years, etc...) on a horse they dont own during the same show?

Thanks!

or the AA hunters?
    "If you are nervous you arent focused-if you are focused, there is no room for nerves!"

As of this year, yes. You may shown one hunter and/or one jumper you do not own in other divisions at the same show as your a/o horse.
    or the AA hunters?
    You have to watch the specs zone by zone. Some I think have rider cross entry height restrictions on their AA hunters. http://www.ushja.org/content/committ...fications.aspx

From the USEF rulebook...

a. An amateur who competes for a person outside of his/her family may not compete in
    a class restricted to Amateur Owners at the same competition. Exceptions:
    (1) Equitation classes,
    (2) Under Saddle per HU107.2.
    (3) and a maximum of one (1) horse not owned by the rider or his/her family in
    jumper sections and a maximum of one (1) horse not owned by the rider or his/her
    family in hunter sections, in classes not restricted to amateur owners. (For Amateur
    rules please see GR1306)BOD 1/171/10 Effective 12/1/10 EC 11/15/10 Effective 12/1/10

Also.....

HU108 Adult Amateur.
    1. Unless USHJA Zone Committees submit their specifications by August 1, the following
    specifications will apply for the Adult Amateur Hunter section:
    a. To be ridden by amateurs who are no longer eligible to compete as junior exhibitors.
    Horses and riders entered in Adult Amateur Hunter sections may not compete in the
    Amateur Owner Hunter section at the same competition. Riders entered in Adult
    Amateur Hunter sections may not compete in any other class in which obstacles
    exceed 3’3” at the same competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Tex Mex View Post
    Also.....

HU108 Adult Amateur.
    1. Unless USHJA Zone Committees submit their specifications by August 1, the following
    specifications will apply for the Adult Amateur Hunter section:
    a. To be ridden by amateurs who are no longer eligible to compete as junior exhibitors.
    Horses and riders entered in Adult Amateur Hunter sections may not compete in the
    Amateur Owner Hunter section at the same competition. Riders entered in Adult
    exceed 3’3” at the same competition.
    So, if you are bringing along a young horse and have an A/O horse - you must compete in the pro divisions? Not the biggest deal, providing they fill, and aren't just offered on a Wednesday morning or something obnoxious. I guess you can just do low or schooling rounds? Hm, not a fan of this rule. How about 3'3 Derby's with options? I guess you have either a nice A/O horse or a nice AA guy - not two, or a retired one moving down?

I guess it's time to brush up on the good old rule book.

Yes but it also doesn't seem fair that an A/O jumper rider (which is like, huge) can show in the AA hunters against little ladies that can barely find 8 jumps. Especially on a horse they don't own (so most likely to put a show record on a green horse for someone?). I don't really understand why they changed the rule this year. It made more sense to me to keep A/O riders on horses that they own to prevent the whole "shammy" thing.

The rules for adult classes in the usef rule book are overruled by the zone specs. You must check the specs for each zone on the link I gave.

Quote Originally Posted by Tex Mex View Post
    Riders entered in Adult
    exceed 3’3” at the same competition.[/I]
    Does this mean no cross entering adult hunters and adult jumpers? Or does this only apply to hunter divisions? I suppose I'd better go look up my zone specs . . .