The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep. 22, 2010
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,186

    Question Good part-time jobs for college riders?

    I'm currently a waitress and it's kicking my butt. I have no way to budget when I don't know what my exact income will be.. it's hard to depend on tips to support yourself. I know that all part-time jobs suck, you just have to decide the level of suckiness that you can deal with while in school.

    For me, this is not working, and I need to start looking for something else. What do you guys do, or what did you do while you were financially supporting yourself and your horse in school?

    Working off board is not an option for me. Thanks!

    Amy

    "I decided I am going to live, or at least try to live, the way I want,
    with dignity, with courage, with humor, with composure."



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul. 11, 2004
    Posts
    6,991

    Default

    Being a tutor.

    Riding Instructor.

    Temporary Personal Assistant.

    Nude Model.

    It's tax time, H&R Block usually has free lessons if you work for them.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug. 13, 2008
    Posts
    1,703

    Default

    I'm a full-time student, a spanish tutor, a waitress, and I work off part of my board. I know you said the latter two don't work for you but maybe try finding a different restaurant. What type of restaurant are you working at right now? I'm working at a smaller, upper-scale restaurant and I think that situation is better than say a large chain...Tutoring is quite nice. I've found something that I'm good at teaching so I can name my price, (currently $20/hr) and I have flexible hours.



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep. 16, 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    585

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ake987 View Post
    I'm currently a waitress and it's kicking my butt. I have no way to budget when I don't know what my exact income will be.. it's hard to depend on tips to support yourself. I know that all part-time jobs suck, you just have to decide the level of suckiness that you can deal with while in school.

    For me, this is not working, and I need to start looking for something else. What do you guys do, or what did you do while you were financially supporting yourself and your horse in school?

    Working off board is not an option for me. Thanks!
    I tutored my way through college (with 2 horses to support). I taught a few different subjects-- middle school math, middle school and high school english, high school Latin, and I'm a violinist so I did violin lessons as well. I taught 20 half-hour lessons a week, at a rate of $15-20 per lesson. It was a great way to make money. I could control my hours and work lessons in around my schedule. When I was particularly slammed during exam week, I could cancel an afternoon of lessons to study and my students were understanding.



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb. 21, 2009
    Location
    Rootown!
    Posts
    2,108

    Default

    Tutoring can be a great option. You can make a pretty good amount of money and can basically name your own hours. Nannying is another option that I know a lot of my friends did/do. They also make GREAT money!
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill
    For Hope, For Strength, For Life-Delta Gamma
    www.etsy.com/shop/joiedevivrecrafts Custom Wreaths and Other Decorations



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb. 11, 2008
    Location
    In the middle of Texas
    Posts
    635

    Default

    Have you considered nannying? The jobs available vary but you can do anything from helping a mom out during the day with little ones so she can do the grocery shopping (or have you do it) to picking up middle school aged kids from school and taking them to practice, etc.

    Most parents around here will either provide you with a vehicle to use while working with their children (taking them to school, play dates, etc.). Or, they will reimburse you for the mileage you put on your personal car.

    Check out Mommy Mixer to see if they offer jobs in your area. It's free for all potential nannies and is about $1500 or so for parents. You set your schedule and create a resume. They then put together a massive book of resumes for the parents to have on hand. The end result is a big mixer at a boutique or something where you introduce yourself and mingle with the parents. I loved Mommy Mixer!

    I would suggest getting CPR certified because it really allows you to charge what you feel you're worth. My last job (about 2 years ago) I was working part-time (6am-730am--picking kids up and taking them to school), I'd go to class and do my own thing, and at 330-630 I'd pick them up and take them home. Best job ever! I made about $20 an hour and they supplied me with dinner every night!

    Believe it or not, I'm still getting emails from Mommy Mixer although I haven't done any work with them since the job above. When families are searching for nannies in your area they email you with the pay and job requirements! Perfect!



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun. 30, 2006
    Location
    Middle Tennessee
    Posts
    5,113

    Default

    Check your college for campus jobs, too. I did various jobs on my campus from answering phones, working in our barn, writing thank you letters to alumnae, etc. The pay is often on the lower side and they may limit your hours, but it's reliable income. Also, on-campus employers are generally more flexible when it comes to things like exams. And you can always pick up extra money in addition by house-sitting, baby-sitting, tutoring, etc.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun. 12, 2007
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    6,046

    Default

    I taught PSAT and SAT prep courses for Princeton Review during college. Made fabulous money with few hours. I also had a TA job during my last two years through the school.



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep. 22, 2010
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trakehner View Post
    Being a tutor.

    Riding Instructor.

    Temporary Personal Assistant.

    Nude Model.

    It's tax time, H&R Block usually has free lessons if you work for them.
    Nude model. I have lost over 30lbs in the past year and am looking svelte.. I could do this! Now, if only I could get over myself and insecurities when a whole class of people is drawing them!

    Amy

    "I decided I am going to live, or at least try to live, the way I want,
    with dignity, with courage, with humor, with composure."



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep. 22, 2010
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by indygirl2560 View Post
    I'm a full-time student, a spanish tutor, a waitress, and I work off part of my board. I know you said the latter two don't work for you but maybe try finding a different restaurant. What type of restaurant are you working at right now? I'm working at a smaller, upper-scale restaurant and I think that situation is better than say a large chain...Tutoring is quite nice. I've found something that I'm good at teaching so I can name my price, (currently $20/hr) and I have flexible hours.
    Wow, very impressive! I'm running a 3.8 GPA right now, but I honestly have never tried tutoring before. I think I will definitely look into it. Would you suggest peer tutoring, or younger students? I don't know what I would have to offer a middle/high-school student.

    I work at a huge corporate restaurant chain known for it's cheesecake, let's just say. =P They attempt to take very good care of us servers, but the lower quality of clientele has been hurting my own wallet. People simply don't tip like they did 5 years ago. =/ I would consider serving in the right situation, but the nice restaurants (let's say a restaurant where the entrees are $20-30) are competitive and hard to land jobs at those, but I have been a good little networker, so who knows, I will certainly reconsider and it can't hurt to apply!

    Thanks!

    Amy

    "I decided I am going to live, or at least try to live, the way I want,
    with dignity, with courage, with humor, with composure."



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep. 22, 2010
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ArabDiva View Post
    I tutored my way through college (with 2 horses to support). I taught a few different subjects-- middle school math, middle school and high school english, high school Latin, and I'm a violinist so I did violin lessons as well. I taught 20 half-hour lessons a week, at a rate of $15-20 per lesson. It was a great way to make money. I could control my hours and work lessons in around my schedule. When I was particularly slammed during exam week, I could cancel an afternoon of lessons to study and my students were understanding.
    Tutoring is sounding better and better, I think I will most definitely have to look into this. I know my school offers peer tutoring, so that may be a good place to start asking questions.

    Amy

    "I decided I am going to live, or at least try to live, the way I want,
    with dignity, with courage, with humor, with composure."



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep. 22, 2010
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sickofcollege View Post
    Have you considered nannying? The jobs available vary but you can do anything from helping a mom out during the day with little ones so she can do the grocery shopping (or have you do it) to picking up middle school aged kids from school and taking them to practice, etc.

    Most parents around here will either provide you with a vehicle to use while working with their children (taking them to school, play dates, etc.). Or, they will reimburse you for the mileage you put on your personal car.

    Check out Mommy Mixer to see if they offer jobs in your area. It's free for all potential nannies and is about $1500 or so for parents. You set your schedule and create a resume. They then put together a massive book of resumes for the parents to have on hand. The end result is a big mixer at a boutique or something where you introduce yourself and mingle with the parents. I loved Mommy Mixer!

    I would suggest getting CPR certified because it really allows you to charge what you feel you're worth. My last job (about 2 years ago) I was working part-time (6am-730am--picking kids up and taking them to school), I'd go to class and do my own thing, and at 330-630 I'd pick them up and take them home. Best job ever! I made about $20 an hour and they supplied me with dinner every night!

    Believe it or not, I'm still getting emails from Mommy Mixer although I haven't done any work with them since the job above. When families are searching for nannies in your area they email you with the pay and job requirements! Perfect!
    I actually used to be an "assistant teacher" at a preschool, so I have experience from infant-4yo. I'm already Red Cross certified, as I used to lifeguard. You can already see I'm kind of a jack of all trades! I did look into nannying - all I checked out was craigslist and was APPALLED at the wages these women were offering. $5-7/hr. WHAT?! Sorry, not for that! I will check out Mommy Mixer, though, that sounds interesting!

    Amy

    "I decided I am going to live, or at least try to live, the way I want,
    with dignity, with courage, with humor, with composure."



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan. 26, 2006
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    4,704

    Default

    My oldest son had his track cards and worked as a TB exercise rider

    Youngest son shopped the trift stores and estate sales for tresures that he sold on ebay.... best find a specialized camera lens for $25 at Goodwill which he sold for $2500.

    Oldest daughter had full ride scholarship

    Yougest daugther worked at a local breeding farm managing the brood mares



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb. 23, 2003
    Location
    Norcross GA
    Posts
    2,033

    Default

    3 of 4 years I worked Petsmart 30-40 hours/week. Usually 2 or 3 weeknights 4pm-10pm and then 2 8 hour shifts for Sat/Sun. Oftentimes I'd work the overnight shift whenever it came up. But, overnight pays time and a half so it was worth it

    I liked it because it let me be around animals. Can't have my dog & cat in my dorm room, so I'll love on someone else's dog when they bring it in =]

    I supplemented in the summer with Riding Camp Counselor, petsitting, & babysitting. One family I would 'teenager-guard' (as opposed to babysit) would pay $100/day for their 1 daughter when they went away on business trips. Talk about making bank.

    Senior year, I dropped Petsmart during the school year to intern for Breyer Model Horses. That was FUN and halfway between school & the pony. It was so nice to leave work, where little girls wrote letters to you about their plastic ponies, and then go enjoy your real pony. I don't think there was a day where he and I fought during that year... I realized how lucky I was!
    TIMBERRIDGE SPORTHORSES:
    www.timberridgesporthorses.com
    --> Just Press Start // '99 Oldenburg
    --> Always The Optimist (reg. Simply Stylin) // '02 Thoroughbred



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct. 20, 2006
    Posts
    900

    Default

    I know a few students working in the lab that I do currently...it's a microbiology lab.

    I know several of the other labs in the area take students and our current lab always loves the students to do the Sat/Sunday shifts and the part time evening hours and it starts at $13/hr which the students tend to love.

    So, if you're at all sciency, perhaps look into labs in the area? I never thought of it while I was in undergrad and I wish I did. I wouldn't have had to work for min. wage in the dishroom at school.



Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 31
    Last Post: May. 7, 2014, 05:20 PM
  2. Part time Jobs to support your horse habit...
    By Crazy4aOTTB in forum Off Course
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: May. 14, 2012, 04:03 PM
  3. Part-time equine writing jobs
    By Chief2 in forum Off Course
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: Feb. 25, 2010, 11:26 PM
  4. How many people have (good) part time horse help?
    By twofatponies in forum Around The Farm
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: Jan. 17, 2009, 10:21 AM
  5. Replies: 23
    Last Post: Oct. 29, 2008, 04:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness